Dropped my machine, what can I salvage?

RixRix

n00b
OK, I need some help here.

While attempting to upgrade the RAM, I violated rule #1 - always make sure the drive cage is screwed in before picking up the machine. As a result (with a loud bang) the drive cage with 3 full size HDD and a SSD fell out, shearing off the connector pins on the motherboard.

Since it's an i7-2600k and six years old as of this week, I had been thinking about buying a new machine anyways but was planning to wait another generation since I had no pressing need for a faster machine. Of course, now I need something new.

I'm trying to figure out what I can salvage out of the old machine. Most of what I have bought was probably towards the top of the midrange but is older.

I'm probably going with an i7-8700 with a MATX motherboard since I don't find RyZen to be particularly compelling at the moment - since I weight towards single threaded performance. This is, of course, grossly overpowered for my needs, but, hey, why not?

I'm Definitely buying:
i7-8700
Z370 motherboard, TBD
1TB SSD, depending on what reputable brand I can get on sale.
16 GB RAM or some sort

I'm Definitely Keeping:
MSI 970 GPU
DVD writer (though I haven't used it in a long time).

Question 1: Re-Use case?

OK, I'm using the Silverstone Temjin TJ-08 case. Apparently, it's still for sale at about $100, what I bought it for six years ago, although it doesn't seem as popular as it was fwhen I bought it. The case LOOKS beautiful, but I've never liked it for a number of reasons. First, it's MATX and on the small side, so when you fill it up with stuff, it is really actually FULL. That means it's hard to work around, especially since I'm not the most dextrous or experienced builder. Should I go for a new. larger case? I do like the size of the mid-tower but it's a PITA to work with. Also, it's kind of loud, and I would like something quieter. Is there any reason I should switch? I guess I'm trying to justify ditching a perfectly good $100 case since I don't like it.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303&area=en

Question 2: Re-use power supply?

The power supply is a 650 watt Seasonic Gold power supply. It's been absolutely rock solid, zero issues in six years....but it is six years old. Keep or dump? I should add that since I live in California and pay obscene amounts for electric, it makes sense for me to use a very efficient power supply.

Un-Question 3: Re-use video card?

I have a MSI 970 Video card, not going to replace. I had to buy it when I didn't want to when my ZOTAC 660 POS crapped out on me the week before the 1070 came out. Still a bitter point, but not buying a new GPU.

Question 4: Hard drive/Storage

I have a pair of 3TB mirrored Western Digital Red drives (the ones made for NAS). They have been reliable, but are a bit slow for my taste and are five years old. Since they are so old, I am thinking about proactively 'retiring' them. Good idea or not? I would probably replace them with something like two HGST 4TB for $250 , but should I keep or dump?

I also have a 750GB Seagate, that I bought as a refurb six years ago, that I now use as a steam drive and don't put anything important on it. I'll probably ditch it since it is A)Seagate and B) a refurb, although TBH it's been very reliable for six years.

The system drive is a 240GB Samsung SSD, three years old, I would like to keep it but not as a system drive. I think I will need a new system drive; something like a 1TB SSD; I can get that for under $300 from whichever reputable brand is on sale.

Question 5:
I see online that I can order a new bracket kit ($8 on Amazon) for my Noctua cooler so I could re-use it with Coffee Lake, Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Question #6:

Is it worth buying a full ATX motherboard? I've run a high end MATX for six years and never had an issue other than with case size. I've never actually needed a full-size motherboard, I guess. Would probably buy the ASRock since the more expensive ASUS MATX doesn't seem to have any more features that I actually can use...since I don't use LED and I don't need wifi on board. I'm not going to overclock (power is $$$ in california, and I actually slightly underclock my CPU)

Thanks for your help,
R

If you don't like your case, you don't have to reuse it. That said, do you want to stay with a micro ATX tower or do you want to "upgrade" to a regular ATX tower?

You can stick with a micro ATX for your motherboard, but you can find lower-end ATX motherboards with fewer on-board features for less.

Which Noctua cooler do you have?

I recommend buying a new power supply to be on the safe side. I like your idea of replacing your two WD Reds for one 4TB HGST drive.

Instead of keeping your DVD burner, I recommend buying a portable, USB-powered drive.

Back