Dropdown menu boxes behavior in IE7/Firefox 2 vs. IE6/Firefox 1.5x

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jyi786, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jyi786

jyi786 [H]ardness Supreme

Perhaps some of you more versed in this stuff can shed some light on this for me.

In Firefox 1.5x and IE6, you can click on a dropdown menu box within a website, scroll with your mousewheel within the menu box to whatever you want to choose, or click on it once and type the beginning letter of any entry within the menu, and the box would correspond.

With Firefox 2 and IE7, this is no longer the case. IE7 is more flexible when it comes to this, and, as long as the mouse pointer is hovering over the menu box, you can scroll up and down the menu freely, while in Firefox, you can't. In neither browser can you do what was mentioned earlier (typing in the first letter of the entry [once again, IE7 is more flexible with this, but the box doesn't correspond to the option you choose]).

Is this behavior due to the browsers, or is it due to the coding of the dropdown boxes that is causing the majority of the dropdown menu boxes on website I visit to be broken?

I wish I had an example for you, but my mind is fried right now (Friday). If I can think of one, I'll post it for sure.