Dropbox Is Said to Be Planning to Go Public This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Dropbox has reportedly filed confidentially for a US IPO. The file-sharing company, which is estimated to have over 500 million users, is valued at $10 billion. Dropbox has been working on its own cloud in an attempt to distance itself from Amazon’s servers, a move that the company will likely tout to lure potential investors.

Dropbox filed confidentially with the Securities and Exchange Commission, affording the company time to make its preparations away from the glare of potential investors. It has hired Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase to help underwrite the initial offering, said the people briefed on the matter, who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Soon to be put out of business by Amazon.

Can the government trust bust up that company already?

Yep, go public and the company will go to shit. It will be more about protecting the stock prices than the service. Same damn thing happened to Outback Steakhouse. Went to hell after they went public.

I still just use the free tier DropBox offers. I find their fees to be high. Instead, I have Google Drive that costs me about $2 a month (I think) and I get a lot more storage and it basically does the same thing.
Several companies I work with forbid using DropBox - they are more apt to use Box.com. It's over the IP ownership. Maybe the business tier of DropBox overcomes this, dunno.
Don't ask me for investing advice, but I'm staying clear of their IPO.

Dropbox will go public and quickly get gobbled up by either Amazon or Microsoft, Dropbox already integrates pretty easily into Office 365 and the Azure services and I am sure they have some IP that Microsoft would be interested in. Alternatively it would give Amazon a service they could work with MS on and again that IP... Either way they will go public and get pieced out by the big boys.

>said the people briefed on the matter, who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

I always love this shit. if you are not authorized to speak on the matter.. then DONT.

We use dropbox at work. I use the free tier for some things. Almost at max capacity. If I need more space, I just buy more drives. It's cheaper and handy.

Back