Dropbox and "webhosting", what about email?

Discussion in 'Webmastering & Programming' started by Trepidati0n, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

I know I can easily point my domain to dropbox and have them host it for a fraction (e.g. zero) of the cost. However, how would I hand email then?

2. leezard

leezard [H]ardness Supreme

Use email provided by your registrar, or a 3rd party service like google apps. outlook.com is free (google apps isnt) and lets you use your own domain for email.

3. bebble

bebble [H]Lite

Do you mean to use your own domain name for the email? I think yahoo provides such services.

4. sidestreet

sidestreet n00b

Outlook.com doesn't do the free hosted email anymore, They're pointing everyone to O365. (Just had to move 3 domains...) You can get their "kiosk" email for $2/month I think.

5. the_servicer

the_servicer [H]ard|Gawd

Relying on the Wall Street tech companies for mail hosting for a domain name is not something I would recommend. A registrar's mail hosting too is often less than excellent. There's no reason to do any of that when better independent mail hosts are so easily available and so inexpensive. Check out MXroute and Rollernet for example.

6. tim_m

tim_m i'm so nice

go back in time and sign up for google apps when it was free :p