Drop of water landed on my graphics card, and then. . .

Spoudazo

Gawd
So, my wife accidentally dropped a water bottle about a foot away from the computer case, and somehow a little drop of water made its way through the case vent, into the computer onto the graphics card (AMD 7950).

I'm just glad she's ok. I know what she was really doing, she knew I was wanting to switch back to an Nvidia card. :cool:

Either way, I'm quite sure the graphics card is a gonner (there was a small flame that ignited on a small portion of the graphics card).

I'm now using the onboard graphics abilities of my 2600k to run video. The BIOS is now saying my 12v is at over 24v, so if you were replacing parts, do you think it's the motherboard that's now faulty or somehow the power supply?

Any ideas? I'm going to order an Nvidia gtx 670 tomorrow and possibly a motherboard or PSU, depending on what's wrong. Thanks for your input.

ScreenShot2013-02-14at40536PM_zpsdb32f30a.png

ScreenShot2013-02-14at40525PM_zpsdf6a029a.png

ScreenShot2013-02-14at40455PM_zps149e8822.png

hmmmm

it is showing that with the flameout card uninstalled I presume?

got a multimeter?

Don't have a multi-meter, I could guy buy one if you have any recommendations.

And yes, the GPU is uninstalled, just running video off the 2600k.

Before this happened was it displaying 24v? or did you just notive it now?

Im sure the wife will buy you whatever you need! :D

It would be nice to verify the voltage out of the PSU at this point.

The bad part about shorts, is you never know if it will effect anything else connected to it.

You could try another power supply, but if it still is there, then I bet the MB went poof too.

Well, I'm quite sure it's the power supply at this point. Ordered a new PSU, let's see how it goes. :)

Back