Drop of 15C under load after a few minutes...

ianken

[H]ard|Gawd
So, playing with the Antec 620 I get the behavior shown in this plot in Aida64 (seen in speedfan too).

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
i970 200x21

In this setup the pump runs off the PSU fan header while the fan (Nexus PWM) runs off the CPU header. This has been working fairly well.

Eventually the temps drop to 52c. Since load in this config is 72c, that's pretty dramatic.

Sensor error? Know behavior with a liquid cooling? What?

WTF.jpg

It's a benchmark tool? Does it go back up? It could be when it's not working the CPU and it prepping the next test.

Not a benchmark. It just loads the CPU, it's intended as a stress/stability test. Not as robust as just running prime95 perhaps, but it's all in once place.

52 is high for a water cooled idle. 70s is fine under full load. But within 2 secs after full load is done you should drop to idle temp.

My 2600k will load full at 63-70 but almost instantly fall to 35-37 once at idle. Proper water cooling works extremely fast compared to the best air cooling.

My hd6990 gpus idle at 40 and load to 50 max. I cannot break 50 no matter how hard I try. Water is amazing.

Last edited:
In this setup the pump runs off the PSU fan header
http://www.ian-kennedy.com/images/foo/WTF.jpg[/IMeG][/quote]

I see your issue. in bold....

Your PSU could be throttling your Pump, which would make sense for your shitty idle temps... Dont do this... have your pump always working.

Change the pump to a dedicated connection from the PSU.

then update us.

I still think it's the fact that it's a benchmark/stress test and it is prepping the next set of test during that time. Prime95 does it and so does LinX when it gets ready for the next test. How long does it drop down for? There's no way he's going to get 52c at load on an i7 970 OC''d over 4Ghz even with HT off unless his ambients are LOW.

I still think it's the fact that it's a benchmark/stress test and it is prepping the next set of test during that time. Prime95 does it and so does LinX when it gets ready for the next test. How long does it drop down for? There's no way he's going to get 52c at load on an i7 970 OC''d over 4Ghz even with HT off unless his ambients are LOW.

if you clearly look at the cpu load it is 100% across the board even when the temp drops.. so no i highly doubt its due to the benchmark changing tests otherwise you would see that in the cpu load as well. also if it was the change would be instant so you would see a slight drop in temp, maybe 2-3C then it would go right back to where it was.

So, playing with the Antec 620 I get the behavior shown in this plot in Aida64 (seen in speedfan too).

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
i970 200x21

In this setup the pump runs off the PSU fan header while the fan (Nexus PWM) runs off the CPU header. This has been working fairly well.

Eventually the temps drop to 52c. Since load in this config is 72c, that's pretty dramatic.

Sensor error? Know behavior with a liquid cooling? What?

my guess is it's something to do with the fan controls in the bios. you could try turning off all the fan controls on the motherboard or get some 3/4 pin converters and connect them to the molex connectors on the psu and see what happens.

Last edited:
I see your issue. in bold....

Your PSU could be throttling your Pump, which would make sense for your shitty idle temps... Dont do this... have your pump always working.

Change the pump to a dedicated connection from the PSU.

then update us.

It's the header on the mainboard, not the PSU. So, 12v. Even 12v right off a molex behaves the same way.

Alos, Idle is 38c, not 52 as someone stated above. It drops from 70 to 52 while under load.

As to bios and fan control. Under load at this speed it runs all-out no matter the setting in the BIOS.

Use a different stress test and see what happens.

Did that. Switched to prime95.

After a while temps drop off the cliff and, looking at the power levels the power draw does too.

I think there is some sort of throttling happening but the Aida tool does not detect it.

OP you need a signature. We have no idea what your system details are to help you short of a best guess.

Did that. Switched to prime95.

After a while temps drop off the cliff and, looking at the power levels the power draw does too.

I think there is some sort of throttling happening but the Aida tool does not detect it.

i wonder if its due to the turbo turning on when the stress test starts then turns off mid way in.

Back