Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport

Well aware of education/outreach programs for birds that for whatever reason cant be re-introduced to the wild. But i've never seen one used in a commercial capacity outside of the states and i'm certain they cannot be kept outside of a official capcity... That all aside the most realistic answer is likely the easy one the bird in picture is not infact a bald eagle exported from america to the netherlands to be trained in drone catching.

We have most of the big eagles in the UK. Keeping large birds of prey is not forbidden here. Hopefully going up to Scotland to see the sea eagles next year. They are bigger than bald eagles. There is a place not far from where we live that has a bald eagle.

Reactions: nimer
like this
Interesting use of what some might consider an endangered species (depending on your pov). An airborne, attack pig that could take down drones, now that would be impressive.

Given what's spat out as news from the usual suspects nowadayz, we've obviously got enough of those to go around.

yeah can't they just make some kind of super powered attack drone that maybe even could drop a net on the offending drone or something instead of using an animal? even if the blades aren't metal you still don't want to stick your fingers in them while they're spinning...

yeah can't they just make some kind of super powered attack drone that maybe even could drop a net on the offending drone or something instead of using an animal? even if the blades aren't metal you still don't want to stick your fingers in them while they're spinning...

An eagle can stay up far longer and it has better eyesight and accuracy.

I live next to Gatwick airport. There were lots of police driving around looking clueless. I guess I won't be flying a drone anytime soon lol

I live next to Gatwick airport. There were lots of police driving around looking clueless. I guess I won't be flying a drone anytime soon lol
An adventure you would never forget though :D

The 2 people who were arrested have been released without charge.
Looks like a kneejerk reaction.

Yeah this whole situation smells very fishy. There would have to have been 6 or more drones co-ordinated to create the situation that was claimed.

Maybe the Govt, needed some clear space to fly someone or something in or out.

Or maybe the airport just fucked something up and wanted an out with the airlines and passengers who were getting fucked by it.

Dodging financial responsibility perhaps?

Back