Drones Build Reconfigurable Sun Shades

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Researchers at the University of Stuttgart built an organic, reconfigurable sun shade system powered by drones and lego like building blocks. The system can adapt the shades to the angle of the sun throughout the day, or even move the cover around based on where people are sitting. While smart sun shades aren't an earth-shattering technology, the researchers think this is only the beginning of real world "reconfigurable architecture systems."

Check out the video.

One can imagine an agile versatile canopy autonomously moving through a large public space according to the position of the sun, providing the occupants with shade or actively rebuilding itself to influence the occupants while at times retreating entirely to nearby rooftops. This physical flexibility and integrated intelligence enable, new architectural behaviors which are capable of swiftly activating public spaces in defiance of traditionally lethargic building processes and regulations.

For film making this could be a big help in controlled lighting. A lot of possibilities there for both day and night shots.

All great until you have some 30 MPH+ wind that grounds the drones and sends the shade units falling on peoples heads
I was thinking the same thing.....if its magnetic and a big wind kicks up those shades will be gone, and / or destroyed. Nice concept but not that practical.

about the only upside i can see to this is if its in texas.. so the locals can go to the park for a little target practice

:LOL:

All great until you have some 30 MPH+ wind that grounds the drones and sends the shade units falling on peoples heads

I understand your concern, and it is justified. But gyros can compensate for a lot of this on the fly. This is part of the PID control loop. The advantage here is being small and lightweight allows them to spin up motors and pitch quickly to compensate (not that it's full proof) It's not like a big Turbo Fan Jet that takes time to spool up.

My first thought was if the wind picks up while the drone is planting a pole some poor student is going to get impaled. The first plant in the video was awfully close.

ClassicShoddyBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

Back