Drone Taken Down By Spear At Renaissance Festival

Good throw. Still, kind of a dick move. Unless it was just some kid fucking around with his RC quad copter. It would have been some good footage to use. I don't get why people see these things and have to destroy them.

Get a better camera and fly higher so you don't annoy people. Problem solved
While this isn't in America, isn't the FAA rule for a drone to be no lower than 200 feet? The Drone was in their safe space and when it got to close, the man was triggered.

**Update** This might have been the catch
Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

That doesn't make the spear chucker in the right, but then again its Russia, so who knows

Last edited:
What the hell, man!

I'd be pissed if that was my drone, why did he feel the need to do that in the first place?!

fuck that, your rude ass drone is harshing my LARP, poetic justice!

Ah the excuses people make to justify destruction of private property....now if only I could do the same for dragging someone's car off with my 4x4 truck when they park next to my mail slot or riding lawn mower waking me up at 8AM, or...whatever else I can be bothered to come up with. Would be nice to just hand wave destroying that shit off too.

It looked like everyone else was paying no attention to the quad and he was getting some nice footage of the activities. Then again people think they can damage or cause harm to other peoples property. This is how road rage starts and does not end well.

If drones were silent I think it be less of an issue. But loud buzzing drone started coming around you it would get annoying fast. If people fly their drones around other people. Don't be surprised if someone tries to knock it down.

Good throw :) We got rid of glassholes now it would be nice if we got public backlash against droneholes.

The last time that I went camping some jackass was flying one of these above us. I'd have speared it out of the sky too. They're incredibly loud. Imagine a swarm of giant prehistoric mosquitos loud.

For the most part, drone operators are extremely inconsiderate. EVERY time I see a drone someone is doing something that they shouldn't be. This is why the ban hammer gets sent around with a quickness and why so many regulations are popping up.

We've gone DECADES without RC vehicles being a nuisance and moreover a problem before these people joined 'the hobby'. There are absolutely some considerate hobbyists out there. But that's exactly the thing. There are hobbyists and then there are people playing with toys. The people playing with toys are ruining it for everyone.

WTF did he think would happen if his spear missed the drone...

And if the drone was just hovering, it probably wasn't hard to hit. Those things hover perfectly stable... But only an idiot would fly one of those above people. Any number of failures and you now have a 3+lb object falling straight out of the sky... God, the stupid is going to ruin these amazing toys for the rest of us...

Flying directly over people like that is ill advised and dangerous.

Too bad the spear thrower didn't follow up with a good boot stomping on the drone.

The drone operator is an ass and a good boot stomping on his sorry butt might not have been a bad idea either.

I flew R/C aircraft for close to 20 years, and I NEVER flew over people like that. There are just too many things that can go wrong and end up injuring people.

don't you think a drone buzzing round a medieval festival would spoil the atmosphere.

From a legal standpoint, what is the difference between him hitting a camera out of someone's hand and knocking out the drone. Either way, it is damage of private property and he can be sued. Unless there are written rules by the group or laws by the state prohibiting the use of a drone at the event.

Also, what if a hot air balloon appears in the background on the horizon. That would spoil the theme. Does the group have the right to force down the balloon because it is inconvenient to their event?

Good throw. Still, kind of a dick move. Unless it was just some kid fucking around with his RC quad copter. It would have been some good footage to use. I don't get why people see these things and have to destroy them.

These drones are fun to fly, but they are pretty annoying and it is fun to destroy things. The rest of the crowd might have been thankful.

God, the stupid is going to ruin these amazing toys for the rest of us

Already done.

Does the group have the right to force down the balloon because it is inconvenient to their event?

If the air balloon was over their property and below 500 ft., it would be tresspassing.

Air rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the "technology ruined the atmosphere" reasoning many people are giving this, I guess he should have also set fire to the what...50 or 60 cars parked right next to them? Or did no one actually watch the video?

How about spearing the plastic molded porta-johns? Maybe rip down that loud speaker on the telephone pole that is probably playing period music?

This is destruction of property, nothing more.

Annoying? Against local rules or law? Ok, the dude illegally parked out front of your place? Go put some spears through his car or set it on fire, I will wait and watch to see what the cops do when you explain that it was "annoying" and a tow zone.

People are so self centered that they think their "right" (doesn't exist in Russia or anywhere else as far as I know) to not be annoyed or offended over rules personal property rights, the fact people, even in this thread from America think this way, is down right scary.

Uh.... I don't think it's illegal to park in front of a house, ours or not... unless you mean he was parked next to a hydrant or something.

These drones are fun to fly, but they are pretty annoying and it is fun to destroy things. The rest of the crowd might have been thankful.

I think it comes down to permission. If the guy had permission to fly it here and take video (which would be cool), then I'd say it was a huge dick move. If he didn't have permission and he took the liberty of flying over people and videoing them on his own? I have no complaints. RC owner is the dick there.

I

By the "technology ruined the atmosphere" reasoning many people are giving this, I guess he should have also set fire to the what...50 or 60 cars parked right next to them? Or did no one actually watch the video?

How about spearing the plastic molded porta-johns? Maybe rip down that loud speaker on the telephone pole that is probably playing period music?

This is destruction of property, nothing more.

Annoying? Against local rules or law? Ok, the dude illegally parked out front of your place? Go put some spears through his car or set it on fire, I will wait and watch to see what the cops do when you explain that it was "annoying" and a tow zone.

People are so self centered that they think their "right" (doesn't exist in Russia or anywhere else as far as I know) to not be annoyed or offended over rules personal property rights, the fact people, even in this thread from America think this way, is down right scary.
The video is from Russia. You and everyone else here commenting on laws regarding airspace and destruction of property need to step back and research. Until someone can quote the Russian law on this scenario, I'm just going to step back and laugh at the Ruskies settling their grievances the old fashioned way.

No one wants to hear a loud ass buzzing noise as they are trying to enjoy themselves. Some asshole was flying one around my neighboorhood and went over my backyard as i was outside. I went inside to grab my paintball gun to shoot it, but he flew away as soon as he saw me come outside. Im ok with them is you use them in an open field for exploring, but they are not your personal peeping tom machines where you can just look in anyones yard.

Back