Drone Disrupts Newark Airport

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Multiple news outlets are claiming that a drone disrupted traffic at Newark International Airport in New Jersey on Tuesday. The New York Times says that a drone was spotted hovering at "about 3,500 feet" above Teterboro Airport 17 miles away, which was apparently serious enough to halt all inbound and outbound flights until 5:45PM. Meanwhile, CBS claims there were actually two separate drone sightings, and that one plane barely missed one of them.

CBS uploaded a clip of some of the air traffic control radio chatter, which you can watch here.

"There's something (inaudible) here. We don't, we thought maybe it was a drone. But there's definitely something (inaudible) here," audio from air traffic control says. "Yes sir. Object and it definitely looks like a drone," the recording continues. "We missed the drone by about 30 feet off the wing..." The FAA is working with law enforcement to try and track down those responsible. FAA regulations say drones should not be flown above 400 feet. Sources tell CBS2 those caught can face criminal charges and up to $15,000 in fines.

Waiting for the airports to start hiring anti-drone units to blast these things out of the sky. (mobile EMP unit anyone?)

Every 12 year old with a drone in Newark Nj.

b881299715z1_20180328173618_000gsk11igv42-0-6bgvwdg9k7qy6gk80q2_ct677x380.jpg

Oh look another of those articles where the military will be taken in and unable to catch the "criminals" after 3+ days of constant threat from drones that have 25min battery flight time.

i am imagining a true ClusterFCK of drone traffic in atlanta in a couple weeks

Just lock the drones internal software to a max altitude of 400 feet and GPS data to keep them away from all airports/stadiums. It would stop a lot of these incursions.

FAA registered drones can obviously have different restrictions.

Just lock the drones internal software to a max altitude of 400 feet and GPS data to keep them away from all airports/stadiums. It would stop a lot of these incursions.

Just like intel locking stopped over clockers back in the day?

Just like intel locking stopped over clockers back in the day?
It would stop a majority of the amateur drone operators straying where they don't belong.

Of course, like cheating/OC'ing/etc, nothing will stop people who actually want to remove the restrictions.

A majority of the drone strikes I have seen and read about are your typical amateur who did realize where or how high they were. They were busy trying to get the perfect shot for their boring AF family movie for youtube.

None of mine have a gps or a means to measure altitude. And it is run on open source software. Get what you are saying, but really it would just lead people to buy a different brand that doesn't lock them out.

Can't stop people from being stupid.

I do not support the destruction of private properly like shooting drones that pass over a yard, but I really think there needs to be a counter-measure around airports. Of course it would be expensive and just raise prices of flights.

all that will really do is to create a black market for altered firmware

I already disdain them. Can't enjoy peaceful nature anymore in popular areas without that damn noise.

Peaceful nature in popular areas? I am pretty sure you are joking so if you are just disregard. If not, how peaceful is it when you are walking where there a tons of people in conversations or domestic fighting, kids running around, dogs barking etc etc.

I know im just grumpy lol. It is why I can't really go camping anymore because my backyard is far quieter than most campsites I have been to.

And afaik federal and state parks flying is already banned.

Don't worry you won't ever see me, my little 5" quad with 8minute flight time just zips around farm fields where I have permission :D #responsibledronepilot

Who the fuck are these morons who keep flying drones around airports and pointing fucking laser pointers at planes and shit?

Unfortunately it’s going to take a plane crash and hundreds of casualties for any airport to start taking this issue seriously.

Unfortunately it’s going to take a plane crash and hundreds of casualties for any airport to start taking this issue seriously.
I am pretty sure they are taking it seriously as, well, you know.. they closed the airport down for the duration.

After the sightings, takeoffs from Newark were halted and inbound planes were held in the air

Two post up, if they are already halting all flights and losing money, that means they are taking it seriously.

Back