Droid X has been Rooted

Very nice. Thanks for the news. Now we just need to wait for some 2.2 Roms to come out.

Now, hopefully I can get all that bloatware uninstalled, like Blockbuster, My Verizon, Backup Assistant, and City ID

Very nice. Thanks for the news. Now we just need to wait for some 2.2 Roms to come out.

Just to be clear, they have not been able to load different ROMs yet, they have only unlocked root access to make changes within the current ROM

Just to be clear, they have not been able to load different ROMs yet, they have only unlocked root access to make changes within the current ROM

Yep I understand, but its only a matter of time. If there is a will, there is a way. Either way its good news.

Does that include free wifi tethering? :D

I dunno...I would really love to get rid of the bloatware shit but I've never rooted a phone before. Are there any side effects of rooting that makes the phone do weird things?

I dunno...I would really love to get rid of the bloatware shit but I've never rooted a phone before. Are there any side effects of rooting that makes the phone do weird things?

I can't say for the DroidX, but for the original droid, having it rooted makes the phone that much faster. I haven't had any problems and I use it every day. Either listen to music in Pandora or off my SD card, or playing games. It just keeps on running. But as I said, I don't know about the DroidX.

--->

this

rooting is/was expected. the boot loader encryption is and will continue to be the current problem.

Yep I understand, but its only a matter of time. If there is a will, there is a way. Either way its good news.

Supposedly it's the same bootloader as Milestone and that hasn't been cracked in 8+ months.

I really hope they crack it though just to show Motorola how stupid it is to even bother and that we will find a way no matter what to do what ever the hell we want with our hardware and Android.

Plus if they crack it, it gives me a great reason to upgrade and give my Droid to the wife and kick her BB Curve to the curb. ;)

Does rooting give any control over processor clockspeed? Or would overclocking require a custom kernal?

I have been using a program called PDAnet on my original droid for free tethering and being on the market, I would assume the same for the Droid X. It does require an application for Windows to be running on the computer, but it is free.

This phone is still on my 'don't bother' list until they get the bootloader unlocked and CM6 on it. I can't stand the bullshit skins/widgets/bloatware they put on these phones, which is a pity because I think every single one would be much better for it.

This phone is still on my 'don't bother' list until they get the bootloader unlocked and CM6 on it. I can't stand the bullshit skins/widgets/bloatware they put on these phones.

With root you can now remove crap like Motoblur and the bloatware. :)

Birdman, the guy who rooted Droid X, is currently working on getting overclocking to work. He's trying to do it like the Milestone. You can follow his twitter here:

https://twitter.com/mrweeeedbirdman

Here is how they got the Milestone to overclock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683451

Very cool, it'll be interesting to see how high this thing will go. I don't really expect 2x+ clockspeed like the droid, but bigger numbers are better! haha

With root you can now remove crap like Motoblur and the bloatware. :)

Good point, but I definitely still want to see CM support before I'd consider this. I have an N1 on T-Mo that I love at the moment, but due to a move will likely end up switching to Verizon for better coverage in CT (T-Mo is great in SF and CA in general, but when I'm in CT there's very little 3G coverage).

So that means I'll be looking for a Verizon (Sprint maybe? not sure about their CT coverage) handset just like the Droid X, but again I need CM support before I'm going to bother. The hardware looks great though, even if the screen is getting to the "not very pocketable" size.

I'm a geek but i'm new to all of this Android stuff. I have a Droid X (coming from a BB Storm and there was nothing that you could do to that phone!) and I too want the bloatware and background process removed. With just rooting it alone can I free my phone from that crap? I don't mind the way the phone runs now, i just hate to see my memory so low because of all of the motorola crap running in the background. No matter how many times i kill the social network app the damn thing comes right back.

My question is- can you root it and remove that or do you have to wait for custom roms?

I'm a geek but i'm new to all of this Android stuff. I have a Droid X (coming from a BB Storm and there was nothing that you could do to that phone!) and I too want the bloatware and background process removed. With just rooting it alone can I free my phone from that crap? I don't mind the way the phone runs now, i just hate to see my memory so low because of all of the motorola crap running in the background. No matter how many times i kill the social network app the damn thing comes right back.

My question is- can you root it and remove that or do you have to wait for custom roms?

Custom roms are not yet available because although root access is now available, the bootloader (which allows you to flash new roms) is still locked. I would imagine with the popularity of this device, it will be cracked at some point, but just not yet.

With root you should be able to remove whatever bloatware is on there, but to be clear: just because RAM is "used" doesn't mean it's slowing anything down or using resources - Android actively manages background applications and shuffles things in and out of RAM based on necessity. Task managers are useless on Android (except for killing a program that has hung), and can often make battery life worse because they can force necessary tasks to continually restart due to an overly aggressive task killer.

Custom roms are not yet available because although root access is now available, the bootloader (which allows you to flash new roms) is still locked. I would imagine with the popularity of this device, it will be cracked at some point, but just not yet.

Not locked, encrypted. BIG difference. Like huge.

We will likely never see custom ROMs on this phone in it's lifetime. Unless somebody inside Moto releases the key, you can all but forget it.

Not locked, encrypted. BIG difference. Like huge.

We will likely never see custom ROMs on this phone in it's lifetime. Unless somebody inside Moto releases the key, you can all but forget it.

For all intents and purposes, it's not able to be accessed and produce the desired result. I'm sure this 'e-fuse' will be sorted out.

With root you should be able to remove whatever bloatware is on there, but to be clear: just because RAM is "used" doesn't mean it's slowing anything down or using resources - Android actively manages background applications and shuffles things in and out of RAM based on necessity. Task managers are useless on Android (except for killing a program that has hung), and can often make battery life worse because they can force necessary tasks to continually restart due to an overly aggressive task killer.

So if I root my phone, I can hop in and remove everything that i do not want on it without changing the current rom? Just not sure how all of that works yet. If that is the case, what is the purpose of custom roms?

So if I root my phone, I can hop in and remove everything that i do not want on it without changing the current rom? Just not sure how all of that works yet. If that is the case, what is the purpose of custom roms?

I'm guessing you need a 3rd party app like Titanium Backup. One of it's features is uninstalling, and I believe you can install just about anything with it. Plus it's an awesome backup program.

If you get it though, just remember that with the free version you can only keep 1 copy of each backup at a time. It backs up the apps individually, but only 1 copy each.

For all intents and purposes, it's not able to be accessed and produce the desired result. I'm sure this 'e-fuse' will be sorted out.

e-Fuse has nothing to do with any of this and was never actually an issue. It was overblown by blogs posting things that they didn't understand.

There is no function on this phone that will permanently brick it if you load an unauthorized rom. It just won't start up until you reinstall the properly signed rom.

e-Fuse has nothing to do with any of this and was never actually an issue. It was overblown by blogs posting things that they didn't understand.

There is no function on this phone that will permanently brick it if you load an unauthorized rom. It just won't start up until you reinstall the properly signed rom.

I'm not saying it will brick, i'm saying it prevents you from installing something like CM or other custom ROMs.

Awesome. I'm going to be getting a Droid X soon so this is great to hear. I won't need most of the social networking stuff and I'd rather use the Google app for Twitter. I'm not terribly interested in overlocking the phone or custom ROMs, but when/if those features show up I might check them out.

I guarantee the boot-loader encryption will be broken eventually so people can put custom ROMs on it. I just hope it's within the next month or so because I guarantee the Droid 2 will have the exact boot-loader and will need to be cracked. I really want to switch my Droid for the Droid 2 (mostly for the extra RAM and Gingerbread compatibility), but don't want to lose the awesome dev community/ROM choices I have with the Droid. This phone has been perfect for me. If not, the Fascinate will be a good alternative if it's rooted and unlocked (bootloader) relatively quick. The X is just too damn big for my hands (I have the smallest hands of any man in existence that doesn't have some sort of physical disorder).

I guarantee the boot-loader encryption will be broken eventually so people can put custom ROMs on it. I just hope it's within the next month or so because I guarantee the Droid 2 will have the exact boot-loader and will need to be cracked. I really want to switch my Droid for the Droid 2 (mostly for the extra RAM and Gingerbread compatibility), but don't want to lose the awesome dev community/ROM choices I have with the Droid. This phone has been perfect for me. If not, the Fascinate will be a good alternative if it's rooted and unlocked (bootloader) relatively quick. The X is just too damn big for my hands (I have the smallest hands of any man in existence that doesn't have some sort of physical disorder).

You mean eventually like how the milestone still doesn't have custom roms eventually?

You mean eventually like how the milestone still doesn't have custom roms eventually?

I don't believe that the milestone has enjoyed nearly the same sales success that the Droid X has (even to date) - that's my guess, at least. Given the popularity of this device, I'd be willing to wager that this will be sorted within the next few months.

What makes you think the Droid 1 will not be compatible with Gingerbread? Google debunked the rumors regarding the 1Ghz and 512MB hardware requirement: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/02/google-shuts-down-gingerbread-rumors/

Obviously that's what made me think that and I hadn't seen that announcement. Regardless, 256 MB compared to 512 MB will eventually make a difference in weather or not the phone will be able to support future updates or not (officially anyways, I'm sure the dev/rom community will still be porting everything they can to it as they're still doing on the G1).

I don't believe that the milestone has enjoyed nearly the same sales success that the Droid X has (even to date) - that's my guess, at least. Given the popularity of this device, I'd be willing to wager that this will be sorted within the next few months.

I was anticipating his response. Thanks for answering for me ;). There's already exponentially more Xs in peoples hands than the Milestone ever saw (in the US at least). I'll give it a month or 2 at most before they crack it.

I was anticipating his response. Thanks for answering for me ;). There's already exponentially more Xs in peoples hands than the Milestone ever saw (in the US at least). I'll give it a month or 2 at most before they crack it.

It doesn't matter. From what I've read and understood (little that I do) from the way it's encrypted, it's almost impossible. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Time will tell. I haven't kept up on the current events of the whole thing but still.

Wait...i'm still not 100% understanding...so yes or no...if I do what the guy does in the video and just root my phone, i can remove the bloatware that was installed on it? Will this mess up anything in regards to how the phone runs?

I'm guessing you need a 3rd party app like Titanium Backup. One of it's features is uninstalling, and I believe you can install just about anything with it. Plus it's an awesome backup program.

If you get it though, just remember that with the free version you can only keep 1 copy of each backup at a time. It backs up the apps individually, but only 1 copy each.

Wait...i'm still not 100% understanding...so yes or no...if I do what the guy does in the video and just root my phone, i can remove the bloatware that was installed on it? Will this mess up anything in regards to how the phone runs?

Like I said...

Also

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid-x/131222-list-what-safe-remove.html

Last edited:
^^^ Thank you very much sir!

So what is the big deal with running custom ROMs then? What special magical features does this unlock on the phone?

^^^ Thank you very much sir!

So what is the big deal with running custom ROMs then? What special magical features does this unlock on the phone?

Depends on the dev.

Bugless Beast, which I run on my Droid, is done by Pete and he added quite a few neat things. Scripts that remove bloatware easily. Pete also added a script that throttles the CPU so things like SetCPU are no longer needed for overclocking if you don't want to use them. I don't know what Pete does but I get better battery life without SetCPU on the BB ROMs.

Back before Android 2.1 was officially released a lot of custom ROM's gave you large amounts of 2.1 functionality early.

ROM's like Cyanogen often unlock functionality early as well. Such as 720p video recording on certain devices.

Depends on the dev.

Bugless Beast, which I run on my Droid, is done by Pete and he added quite a few neat things. Scripts that remove bloatware easily. Pete also added a script that throttles the CPU so things like SetCPU are no longer needed for overclocking if you don't want to use them. I don't know what Pete does but I get better battery life without SetCPU on the BB ROMs.

Back before Android 2.1 was officially released a lot of custom ROM's gave you large amounts of 2.1 functionality early.

ROM's like Cyanogen often unlock functionality early as well. Such as 720p video recording on certain devices.

Other items like undervolted and overclocked kernals are very handy for extracting more battery life and more performance, all included in many of these custom roms. Various tweaks that open up tons of settings is another benefit to custom roms.

Other items like undervolted and overclocked kernals are very handy for extracting more battery life and more performance, all included in many of these custom roms. Various tweaks that open up tons of settings is another benefit to custom roms.

That too. ChevyNo1's kernel's are my kernels of choice. Using his ULV 800MHz kernel right now. Was using the ULV 1000MHz as well but it was a tad unstable only when running Flash. The LV 1000MHz was rock solid but it ran warmer then I liked, so back to 800MHz for me. Can't see a difference except in benchmarks. ;)

Back