Droid was washed, ideas on getting screen to work again?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
My wife decided to wash my jeans yesterday and forgot to check my pockets, of course my phone was in there and went for the spin cycle :( I pulled the battery asap and let it sit to dry, after 24 hours of drying out the phone itself works. I can power it on, hear it do its beeps and vibvrate like normal. I can even slide the lock button and feel ti respond. The touch screen part works but the lcd has no display.

Is there any ideas to get it to work again? I heard someone mention soaking it in 99% iso alcohol, will that damage my phone at all? They said that should displace any water, and pull off any minerals on the phone itself, but im worried about the alcohol disolving somethig it shouldnt inside the phone, is there any worries for that with the droid?

24 hours might not be enough - let it dry for several more days, don't rush into quick judgement.
Is the phone bought less than year? If so - warranty might be you option, thou most manufactures include liquid sensors inside the phones to detect abuse... If it changed color (commonly red) - they know you dipped in water...

Whenever your phone gets submerged in water, it's best to let it sit in a bowl/bag of dried rice for at least 24-48 hours. The rice will help draw out and absorb the moisture from inside the phone. I've never heard of the alcohol technique. It seems sound to me. If you try it, I would do the rice trick afterwords too.

I'm guessing you don't have any insurance on the phone? If you do, I've been hearing (on other Android forums) that if they don't have any Droids in stock, they'll offer you a Droid X or Droid 2 as a replacement.

Whenever your phone gets submerged in water, it's best to let it sit in a bowl/bag of dried rice for at least 24-48 hours.

That's a cool trick, never thought of that. Wouldn't engulfing it in salt be even better (aside from possible cleanup issues, although a heavy dose of compressed air would probably do the trick)?

I've always heard of pulling the battery ASAP and sticking it in the oven at about 110F and letting it sit for an hour or so. There are ways around the liquid sensor thing if returning it is an option.

The rice trick is stellar, but go buy a pair of silk panty hose and put the phone inside one first to avoid any rice getting into crevices.

Back