Droid Turbo 2 Survives 70 Drops To Concrete Floor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The newest Droid is being touted for its shatterproof display, and here’s a video that suggests its screen is truly unbreakable. I have a hunch that a handful of tests involving firearms are on the way, though.

I have never shattered the screen of a phone I've used, despite using them without cases or screen protectors, and dropped them on occasion.

It's possible ive just been lucky, but I wish that manufacturers would also focus on using more damage resistant materials for the rest of the phones.

Scuffed, stubbed, scratched corners, plastic, metal etc. are all an annoyance.

Video loses all credibility if they are gonna show the time of a drop mid-viewing as 10:53, and then at the end, show the phone with a time of 10:47...

Did you see that video of the first guy to purchase an iPhone6 and right as the box opened it fell out and busted on the sidewalk?

If its some kind of glass this is truly impressive. But if this is polycarbonate or some other super plastic then it's nothing extraordinary. If it is the latter, watch out for scratched screens.

If its some kind of glass this is truly impressive. But if this is polycarbonate or some other super plastic then it's nothing extraordinary. If it is the latter, watch out for scratched screens.

you're right. It's plastic.

will still need screen protector film.

Does it really matter most glass is strong enough now of days when it comes to perpendicular forces, the weakness and what causes shattering is forces on the edges of the pane. Which will pretty much come down to the phone case's ability to protect the edges and redirect forces around the case and not into the glass from those angles.

My Droid Turbo 1 has been amazing from a durability stand point...Very very durable phone, especially with the nylon back - no worries about scratching it.

However, when I spiked it on the edge of a set of Concrete stairs on accident the other day....gone.

I guess I have two real questions.

1) can I replace the battery at will?

2) did Motorola fuck it up like usual with their interpretation of android meaning I have to wait 6+ months for Cyanogen?

Getting freaking hard to find a decent phone on Verizon these days..

I guess I have two real questions.

1) can I replace the battery at will?

2) did Motorola fuck it up like usual with their interpretation of android meaning I have to wait 6+ months for Cyanogen?

Getting freaking hard to find a decent phone on Verizon these days..

The LG G4 seems to be pretty nice. GPU is not quite fast enough for the res of the screen and it still only uses USB 2, but I don't have any other complaints so far.

The LG G4 seems to be pretty nice. GPU is not quite fast enough for the res of the screen and it still only uses USB 2, but I don't have any other complaints so far.

Yea that's been my other major bitch. Let's crank up the resolution to stupid levels so the screen lags for no visible improvement in most scenarios. But since I'm not going to get my wish in just a super fast 1080p, I stick to the battery and mods. I swear iPhone is starting to look better just because the hardware manufactures for android seem intent on being fucking retarded.

if you want fast and 1080p check out the oneplus two recently launched. (Missing some other features to get a reasonable price point mind you.) I had the onplus one and was very satisfied but I actually DIG NFC function and it is missing in the two. BUT it has a nice screen size, modern internals. AND 1080P display to keep the price down. AND make it super fast.

Yea that's been my other major bitch. Let's crank up the resolution to stupid levels so the screen lags for no visible improvement in most scenarios. But since I'm not going to get my wish in just a super fast 1080p, I stick to the battery and mods. I swear iPhone is starting to look better just because the hardware manufactures for android seem intent on being fucking retarded.

From the few games I play, it seems like the laggy ones are maybe not using hardware acceleration. Especially since the ones that lag are the ones that look less graphically demanding.

1. Tapped Out - just lags way too much.. It is faster on the G4 than on the S5, but it shouldn't be laggy at all. I have a single street so all the animated characters congregate there. In a normal setup it wouldn't be laggy near as much.. still sucky programming.

2. Final Fable - has to be programming because pretty much all levels have the same level of detail, enemies, etc. Sometimes it is just fine, other times it just lags really bad.

3. Castle Clash - lag is nonexistent AND it has way more animations on the G4 then on the S5.

From the few games I play, it seems like the laggy ones are maybe not using hardware acceleration. Especially since the ones that lag are the ones that look less graphically demanding.

1. Tapped Out - just lags way too much.. It is faster on the G4 than on the S5, but it shouldn't be laggy at all. I have a single street so all the animated characters congregate there. In a normal setup it wouldn't be laggy near as much.. still sucky programming.

2. Final Fable - has to be programming because pretty much all levels have the same level of detail, enemies, etc. Sometimes it is just fine, other times it just lags really bad.

3. Castle Clash - lag is nonexistent AND it has way more animations on the G4 then on the S5.

Not even games I'm complaining about interestingly enough. I'm just talking about the phone in general. I think my basic complaint is that I see absolutely no reason why my 5" phone should ever be running higher resolution than my desktop pc. Some of these phones run double the resolution on 5" screen that I do on 3 24" monitors and frankly that's just stupid.

Not even games I'm complaining about interestingly enough. I'm just talking about the phone in general. I think my basic complaint is that I see absolutely no reason why my 5" phone should ever be running higher resolution than my desktop pc. Some of these phones run double the resolution on 5" screen that I do on 3 24" monitors and frankly that's just stupid.

Yeah, it is a stupid high res for a phone. But I like it! I would definitely rather have more speed than higher resolution though.

Yeah, it is a stupid high res for a phone. But I like it! I would definitely rather have more speed than higher resolution though.

More resolution is never stupid. The ideal resolution is where you no longer need anti-aliasing. If the interface looks good at that resolution then why the hell not? The only reason I'm not going to 4k on a 27 screen for my desktop is the lack of proper scaling for desktop applications.

More resolution is never stupid. The ideal resolution is where you no longer need anti-aliasing. If the interface looks good at that resolution then why the hell not? The only reason I'm not going to 4k on a 27 screen for my desktop is the lack of proper scaling for desktop applications.

For what though? You're making sacrifices in other, more practical areas, for something to look good? Just doesn't seem worth the investment to me.

I looked at 4K at 27" and I also looked at the scaling. And then I thought, I'm not actually gaining any real estate by doing this, so what's the point. On a desktop, not such a big deal. But something mobile is a different story.

Zarathustra[H];1041942968 said:
I have never shattered the screen of a phone I've used, despite using them without cases or screen protectors, and dropped them on occasion.

It's possible ive just been lucky, but I wish that manufacturers would also focus on using more damage resistant materials for the rest of the phones.

Scuffed, stubbed, scratched corners, plastic, metal etc. are all an annoyance.

What kind of phones do you get? I've only really used iPhones and mine seem to shatter only after huge falls or if they land a certain way.

Did you see that video of the first guy to purchase an iPhone6 and right as the box opened it fell out and busted on the sidewalk?

Yeah, poor guy. How embarrassing to be the first person to mishandle your phone in front of everyone LOL.

I had the first version of the droid turbo. Loved it. Loved the battery life. Hated the fact the software was buggy for that 21 MP camera. Hated I could not remove the battery. :*(

Yeah, it won't shatter, but it will scratch up like crazy since it's much softer than the Gorilla Glass in other phones. You can replace the external plastic screen protector, but I'd rather not have to deal with scratches and replacing the protector every month or two. I'll just keep putting a thin TPU case on my phone; haven't broke one yet after several drops.

You can still put a glass screen protector over the top layer (or another plastic one).

I dont need this because i have never broken a phone in 8 years. Hiwever i know some people that could definitely benefit from this. That is some impressive durability, regardless of screen material.

Back