Drobo 5N or this

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
Synology DiskStation 8-Bay DS1813+
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS1813/dp/B00CRB53CU/ref=pd_sim_pc_3

Looks like its got some kind of deal going on right now. I was going to buy that and then buy 8 WD reds for it in a week. I just need it for Jbod. I have dvd movies that i have riped and I have them on all of these 1TB external portable drives and its getting cluttered.

Am i to understand that you plug in 1 cable and I could see all 8 hard drives at once? Can you move information around in Jbod mode?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with the above - you can make it even better by purchasing ECC and using extra feature of a DIY solution like FreeNAS or NAS4free

i want a pre built for warranty. The ease of just returning a product if it does not work.

I agree with the above - you can make it even better by purchasing ECC and using extra feature of a DIY solution like FreeNAS or NAS4free

What extra features? Syno is stacked with "features". It all depends on the person using it. If you want simple with a lot of support as well as a community wrapped around it that's fairly large get a syn box. If you are more advanced and want to deal with potential headaches go FreeNAS or NAS4FREE.

Recently for example my FreeNAS would boot intermittently, sometimes it would find the volumes sometimes it wouldn't. It was 50/50 and always worked on the second boot.

I've used all of them and they each serve a purpose. Or build your own and use XPEnology which works extremely well, at least in my testing and use. No support however. I did this with a Fractal 304 and 6 4TB drives.

i want a pre built for warranty. The ease of just returning a product if it does not work.

Maybe one of those Seagate NAS units then. The drobos are okay too, but they don't come with disks. I'm not sure transplanting disks between a broken drobo and a repaired one (or ANY prebuilt NAS) will work.

I'd also encourage you, if you haven't already to establish a backup routine for your data on the NAS.

It only has a 3 year warranty, if anything goes wrong after that you would need to buy a whole new one as it all uses custom parts.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got a Synology DS1812, (the previous version of this product) and it's awesome. It's a polished solution with tons of add on software packages from official and third party repos. Mine runs SabNZBD, Sickbeard, IP security cameras, Plex, and few other packages. It's darn near silent, and spins the drives down when not in use. If I was looking to do any of the prebuilts, that would be the one to get. My only want was for some more processing power, as par rebuilds are pretty slow. I am not sure what the diff between the proc in mine and this are, but hopefully more powerful.

I also forgot to mention one thing which ended up being the major deciding factor for me. When I bought the Syno, I wanted to go as dense as possible. My previous homebuilt NAS had 16 1TB drives (5+ years old). Lots of noise and took up a ton of space. After buying the Synology I only had enough cash for four 4TB drives. The ability to expand the RAID set as I could afford to add a drive each month, is what swayed me away from a ZFS based system, which I was otherwise completely prepared to go with. My understanding with ZFS in it's current iteration is that you can only add additional RG's to a zpool, not expand existing.

Back