DRM In New Coffee Maker Will Lock Out Refill Market

They are focused on the wrong aspect of their business model.
I may not use the Keurig much seeing as it's a work one, but I'd never use it if I couldn't bring my own beans and grinder to work. A refillable cup is the only reason I would consider purchasing one for home use. It's a little less mess and trouble than using a french press, so I wouldn't mind a free Keurig to use at home but doubt I'd buy one considering my options.

Instead of focusing on the container, they need to focus on the bean.
There is ALWAYS going to be copycats in manufacturing, hell we demand it (wtb cheap ___ knockoff at 15% price plz PM)
Spending R&D $ on making it so I can't use my own beans in my own coffee pot sounds like a loosing proposition. The whole exclusivity aspect is in the past, they'd do better if they had something like specific temperature and steep times for you to tweak, so different coffee and tea could come out PERFECT instead of just darn good :-p

French press FTW.

Honestly, I also use my Keurig but I use my own beans.

Every company does this in every industry. They try make things so no one else can eat potential revenue.
No they don't. Try applying that statement to Craftsman Tools. Now Craftsman is owned by Sears, always has been, it's Sears exclusive store brand although it is sold at a few other outlets.They use industry standards in all their tool designs and there isn't much I know of that is proprietor about them. Instead of being proprietary they just build great tools at reasonable prices with the best warranty possible, if it breaks, they replace it, period.

I owned a single-serve coffee maker once, (Senseo with the filter packet pods) Even bought the re-usable Coffeeduck filter pod for it and ran for a year or two. Gawd awful mess. And I've had the Keurig-style pod coffee too. Can't fathom why it's so popular; it may be convenient but it's so wasteful (millions of used plastic coffee capsules/pods in a landfill somewhere)

Use a 6-cup drip coffeemaker at work now. Two big cups of coffee every morning. Nothing wasted, better coffee.

I had a Keurig. It belonged to an ex-roommate. I used it for a year after she moved out. Cups are expensive, and such a waste of coffee (the amount of grounds in one K-cup to brew one cup of coffee).
GF got me the reusable cup so that I can brew my own blends. Even more ridiculous!

It takes as much coffee as my drip brewer uses for a half pot, and it still comes out so weak it really doesnt't qualify as coffee.

She has since taken her Keurig back, and I now use my drip brewer again, and all is right in the world :p
I brew a pot, and save what I don't drink in the fridge. If I want a single cup of coffee, I just pour and microwave.... and it still tastes better than most of the K-cup options.

If you guys want some great coffee, well espresso, Nespresso is awesome. I might pay $0.70 cents a shot, but my double shot Americano is so good in the morning and evening.

On a side note, I think other manufacturers have been doing the barcode thing with their coffee already., Tassimo branded ones.

I had a Tassimo for espresso pods, but I finally made the move to an automatic espresso machine (on sale @ costco) and the resulting drinks are much better. Fresh ground beans 4tw. Not to mention around 13 cents a shot :) Will take a while to make up the price difference tho.

the fiance and I are coffee enthusiests. That said, we wouldn't touch a Keurig with a ten foot pole.

That's funny cuz I actually like our Keurig and I wouldn't touch coffee with a ten foot pole. Shit tastes like camel piss.

I use it for the easy hot chocolate and iced lemonade.

French press FTW.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. Very much agree. For anything non-espresso based, I will pretty much only use a French press if it's me making the coffee.

That said, you can't make a cappuccino in a French press. :D

Sometimes I wonder if people who whine about snobbery and defend Keurig have ever actually had good coffee. Single serve cup or pod coffee is ok if you're desperate.
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, Keurig coffee is enough for us.

I understand if it isn't enough for YOU and YOU need something considerably stronger, but I'm sorry that some of us have our own preferences Mr. Wannabe-Coffee-Diktatorrr. :D

As the only coffee drinker in the house.. even making a pot of coffee was a complete waste. 12-16 oz in the morning is all I need, especially the days I have to drive into work. But I'm not particularly picky about coffee strength. We pick up the k-cups on sale and usually I'll brew a 8 oz and a 6 oz with the same k-cup into my mug (just lift the handle slightly and put it back down between selections). And yes... I prefer flavored coffee with just a little sugar versus straight up black or even sugar and creamer.

I've also got a box of SimpleCups that I can fill with bag coffee (personally I like the Lola Savaannah brand). After using them I dump the grounds and filter, rinse the "disposable" cup and let it dry and then refill with a new filter. I get anywhere from 10-15 uses out of the disposable cup before the lids start leaking, then I just toss it and start the process over.

Can't say I like the idea of locking out refills and such, but I can't imagine having to go back to brewing a pot of coffee in the morning just for myself....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like my Jura superautomatic coffee makers... single serve or more, fresh grind, and I buy fresh beans from my local roaster...

We have one in the break room at work. It's been nice as everyone would bitch about how strong / not strong the coffee was in the pot. This way, they can't complain. Personally? I think the coffee from the packs are horrid -- I've used the filters (K branded) and the machine somehow ruins good coffee... <sigh>

For what they are -- "cup at a time" they are handy, but I'm not a fan of them.

I have a grinder, a kettle, and a press.. I'm set.

As much as I like the convenience of the Kcup, I've been reading more information about how the plastic pods are leeching BPA materials into the coffee when the very hot water is squeezed through the cups. Similar to all of the other plastic stuff on the market that is advertising BPA-free, however the Kcup things aren't using it.

I love my Keurig. I have one on my counter at home and one at my desk in the office. It makes the perfect amount of coffee, quickly, and it's the same every time.

Of course, I've also got a grinder and a bunn at home, but it doesn't get used often. Usually it's just one cup being made at a time...

I usually use Tim Horton's, which is about $0.65 a cup. If you've ever purchased these, you'll notice they don't say anything about being K-Cups, and I'm assuming that's to get out of paying royalties to Keruig.

If you don't like it, send them an email. I did.

Basically, fuck-em. I was considering one of these but bought a Cuisinart instead. Glad I did.

I had a Keurig. It belonged to an ex-roommate. I used it for a year after she moved out. Cups are expensive, and such a waste of coffee (the amount of grounds in one K-cup to brew one cup of coffee).
GF got me the reusable cup so that I can brew my own blends. Even more ridiculous!

It takes as much coffee as my drip brewer uses for a half pot, and it still comes out so weak it really doesnt't qualify as coffee.

She has since taken her Keurig back, and I now use my drip brewer again, and all is right in the world :p
I brew a pot, and save what I don't drink in the fridge. If I want a single cup of coffee, I just pour and microwave.... and it still tastes better than most of the K-cup options.

Going to be honest..if you are using that much in the reusable cup and it is coming out weak, you are doing it completely wrong. Mine uses a fraction of what I would put in a traditional drip and it is the strongest I can get outside a $600+ espresso machine.

Why is everyone so obsessed with coffee? It's simply disgusting.

Tea and water is all you need.

Profit on K-cups is quite high, and NFC tags can be done in the realm of a few pennies each.

Going to be honest..if you are using that much in the reusable cup and it is coming out weak, you are doing it completely wrong. Mine uses a fraction of what I would put in a traditional drip and it is the strongest I can get outside a $600+ espresso machine.
Keurig strength comes nothing close to even a cheap steam espresso machine tbh, let alone a semi-decent one that's $100-200 (The philips-saeco poemia comes to mind for that price). As for the whole idea of only brewing one cup...IMO there's plenty of superior ways to do that...a small Moka pot, for instance. But to each their own, I know what I prefer but if someone is happy with an inferior product, so be it.

No they don't. Try applying that statement to Craftsman Tools. Now Craftsman is owned by Sears, always has been, it's Sears exclusive store brand although it is sold at a few other outlets.They use industry standards in all their tool designs and there isn't much I know of that is proprietor about them. Instead of being proprietary they just build great tools at reasonable prices with the best warranty possible, if it breaks, they replace it, period.

Actually...

Craftsman tools aren't anything special anymore. They're made by Apex Tool Group and manufactured over seas. The only good thing about them is their lifetime warranty and giving the recent quality of the tools it's needed. Also warranty replacement are refurb's only.

Ever hear the saying "They don't make 'em like they used to?" well that applies 100% fo Craftsman tools these days.

For the record, my garage is filled with over 90% craftsman hand tools.

How did I immediately know this article would be about f*cking Keurig.. :)

They patent K-Cups, people figured out a way around the patent, I knew it was only a matter of time until Keurig threw a fit.

lol people are surprised, they changed cups just to screw people over like apple changes ports. Shoot themselves in the foot give me a break people bought into them already and will keep doing so. Give it up.

Actually...

Craftsman tools aren't anything special anymore. They're made by Apex Tool Group and manufactured over seas. The only good thing about them is their lifetime warranty and giving the recent quality of the tools it's needed. Also warranty replacement are refurb's only.

Ever hear the saying "They don't make 'em like they used to?" well that applies 100% fo Craftsman tools these days.

For the record, my garage is filled with over 90% craftsman hand tools.

Actually they don't even have a great warranty. They told me last time I was in they would give me a different tool and no more warranty. Certainly wasn't life time, only had it 15 years.

... Think of it this way, people bend over for printer and their cartridges. So...... yea...

French press is much preferred. We use a regular, non-carafe for our daily coffee though.

Pretty sad when we live in a state where we will soon have to jailbreak all the stuff we own. Big coffee drinkers better stock up on old style "real" machines before those get affected too.

I don't see the point of bashing single serve machines though, they are great for the office or if you are single and only want one cup at a time.

caffeine a hallucinogenic(fake sugars as also hallucinogenics btw) that fools your brain into thinking it's not as tired as it actually is. Making you dependent on it to stay up as you're always running in deficient mode never getting proper rest. Just stop using caffeine and sleep on a schedule and you'll do fine instead of throwing away money everyday.

I like my coffee from a pot because it's cheap, like half as much for 12 cups as it is for one from any of the pod machines. Put some cow squeezing in there and we're good to go..

..Or not, I'm not picky.

Job site coffee is usually a special blend of baked on pot-crusties, curdled milk, sweat, sawdust, and lake water.

Glorious.

My classic old school Bunn does not have this type of BS, all coffee is equal.

I'll never will buy a Keurig's . I just use a plain and simple old coffee maker. No over priced Keurig's crap. Maxwell House coffee 33.4 oz. for $5.00 and get about 50 cups of coffee. Keurig's cost $10.00 for 12 cups. Screw them.

I was almost concerned. Then I remembered I have been using the same coffee maker for years. Razor blades on the other hand...prices are climbing too high, time to find a single blade again. I am a fan of black coffee. I love that coffee flavor. Love milk too but my insides don't.

You're not going to get any better result than a properly executed hand pourover......Get a Technivorm with thermal carafe and Swissgold filter and you'll not only get that with a machine, but you'll still be using it 50 years from now. More than worth it...same goes for a decent burr grinder, $400 - $500 in total and you're set for life....You can waste more than that amount in no time on cheaply made box store crap that'll give out after a couple years.

Lucky, I drink only tea: matcha, a traditional Japanese green tea and regular leaf tea (like Twinnings). No machines, only tea and water in a cup. :p

After going loose leaf, I'll never go back. Getting a bag of loose tea at a place like David's is better than ANY brand you could buy anywhere. It's fucking amazing.

Back