DriveSavers Charges Around $3,900 to Unlock Password Protected Devices

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, DriveSavers announced a new service that can allegedly unlock and recover data from password protected computers. Devices from Apple, Samsung, Huawei, LG and other running iOS, Android, Windows, or Blackberry are said to be supported. Interestingly, the company claims they don't offer the "Passcode Lockout Data Recovery" service to "any law enforcement department or agency," and that the service is only available to owners of the device. The company told MacRumors that they charge around $3,900 to unlock a device, and that they require strict identification protocols, like death certificates or court documents.

The company is able to fully unlock the iPhone and return the unlocked device to the owner, and there's an option to back up the phone's data to an external device. DriveSavers is not able to provide further information on its unlocking methods.

Doesn't Apple have or releasing a new(?) way to defeat(?) what law enforcement agencies ability to do?
Wonder if this company can get to what Apple has?

So they don't offer the "Passcode Lockout Data Recovery" service to law enforcement, but they could offer the "Warranted Data Recovery Service" to law enforcement instead, charge a bit extra and provide all the data on a USB key for easy distribution. That's the fun things about offering services to clientele you can have a list of services and offer certain ones to certain groups each with different barriers for entry.

Every time some company creates some unbeatable form of encryption/protection/security there's someone out there taking that as a dare and sooner or later someone always gets past it, then the company goes back and changes things or improves it then those people beat that new better system, etc.

It's always the case, it won't ever stop, and it's a never-ending battle.

Every time some company creates some unbeatable form of encryption/protection/security there's someone out there taking that as a dare and sooner or later someone always gets past it, then the company goes back and changes things or improves it then those people beat that new better system, etc.

It's always the case, it won't ever stop, and it's a never-ending battle.
There is no way to win the battle, for every person Apple employs to create a new security system there are 10 people trying to break it. Doesn’t mean Apple should stop though, the key is to make it hard enough that the average or even above average person can’t break into it. If the security is good enough that it takes dedicated firms of specialized talents to do that is good enough.

Nothing says they are breaking into phones lol. If the used died then they would be getting into the phone through social engineering. Getting access to their recovery email etc.

I had bad experience with Drive Savers for regular hard drive data recovery. Their recovery rate was so bad, I actually was thinking they stay afloat by just charging diagnostic fees. This service is phones, so I can't say how good they are with this service...

Kroll Ontrack charges a lot more, but their data recovery rate is top notch.

I had bad experience with Drive Savers for regular hard drive data recovery. Their recovery rate was so bad, I actually was thinking they stay afloat by just charging diagnostic fees. This service is phones, so I can't say how good they are with this service...

Kroll Ontrack charges a lot more, but their data recovery rate is top notch.

I worked with Drive Savers quite a bit at my last job, and they were always great to me. Very friendly and professional, and could almost always recover data from drives that customers had brought to me (water damage, drops, dying heads, etc.) They also didn't charge me a diagnostics fee, which is the entire reason we stopped using Ontrack and starting using them. The lack of assessment fee and a "No data, no money" policy made us incredibly happy to recommend them to our customers. I guess this is all anecdotal, though.

I worked with Drive Savers quite a bit at my last job, and they were always great to me. Very friendly and professional, and could almost always recover data from drives that customers had brought to me (water damage, drops, dying heads, etc.) They also didn't charge me a diagnostics fee, which is the entire reason we stopped using Ontrack and starting using them. The lack of assessment fee and a "No data, no money" policy made us incredibly happy to recommend them to our customers. I guess this is all anecdotal, though.
That's good to hear. I used them back in the dotcom boom days, so it seems they improved a lot then.

I've used Drive Savers 4-5 times. Only once could they not recover data. The heads had crashed and scraped off all the magnetic coating from the platter.

While they copy any data to a USB on their Company Desktop our friends silently copy it all.

If you post such a claim, you cry for getting infiltrated by the usual suspects.

Back