Drivers Blinded by “Too-Bright” LED Headlights on New Cars, Warns RAC

Lincoln Mark VIII had reflectors with OEM HID in late 1995 and 1996. It was the first car to ever come equipped with HID from the factory.

That, and the fact that they serve two opposing purposes. High beams are supposed to light up the distance, while fogs are supposed to light up the ground right in front of the car. Lighting up the ground right in front of the car reduces the apparent glare from the low beams in the fog. What people mistake is that it allows them to drive faster in the fog: it doesn't. When you increase foreground light, you compromise long range vision, which is the purpose of high beams.

There were early HID cars with reflectors, true. Mercedes E-class W210, S197 Mustangs with Saleen headlights, and surprisingly Jeep Wrangler JK stock housings are the ones I am aware of. These reflectors were designed with HID bulbs in mind, which is why they work, and they wouldn't work well at all with halogen bulbs. I highly doubt you will find any HID-designed reflectors for your car. Your best option is a HID projector retrofit in the clear housings. On a budget, Acme projectors are decent. Apparently the cheaper Amazon Mini H1 projectors are the same thing. The Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s are the latest and greatest in a small package. Several LED projector retrofit options exist as well, but installation is more involved, more expensive than HID projectors, and/or don't provide as much light output.

I have seen some post about aftermarket HID bulbs with some sort of glare guard or shroud around them, that is supposed to eliminate the glare problem.

I wonder if they work well.

I have seen some post about aftermarket HID bulbs with some sort of glare guard or shroud around them, that is supposed to eliminate the glare problem.

I wonder if they work well.

Even if they did, the light pattern would be less than optimal. You'll get light in the places you need it least, and less light where you actually need it.

I've done 3 retrofits by now, and it can be done in a single day if you know what you're doing, and a weekend taking your time.

For sure, the modern OEM LED lights bother my eyes at night. The aftermarket crap is completely blinding to me... My JDM Suzuki carry being a RHD vehicle, has lights pointed to aim into oncomming traffic due to the RHD nature, yet I don't get 'highbeam flashed' at all, so it must not be too bad. I never use high beams because of the issue, so theres never a chance of blinding a driver if I don't click them down fast enough..

My personal opinion is there is little use for 'more' light. I've driven plenty of old cars with horrible lighting. From 6v 7"incandescents, 12v 7" incandescents, and really I see just fine

Well, if the Royal Air Command is concerned then this is Indeed a problem !

Every time some asshole in a lifted truck with after market headlights gets behind me it make me want to take my 3 watt laser pointer and blind them right back (ofc that kind of blinding lasts a bit longer) the kind of people that drive trucks like that would be doing the world a favor if they killed themselves so we didnt have their flawed genetics clouding the gene pool.

I mean look I get it god gave you a small dick and a smaller brain but don't take it out on the rest of us. + you know half those fu%$s have a house that worth half what their stupid truck is stupid trailer trash. /endrant.

Every time some asshole in a lifted truck with after market headlights gets behind me it make me want to take my 3 watt laser pointer and blind them right back (ofc that kind of blinding lasts a bit longer) the kind of people that drive trucks like that would be doing the world a favor if they killed themselves so we didnt have their flawed genetics clouding the gene pool.

I mean look I get it god gave you a small dick and a smaller brain but don't take it out on the rest of us. + you know half those fu%$s have a house that worth half what their stupid truck is stupid trailer trash. /endrant.

I think the problem here is pretty obvious. In this thread I saw one post that actually talked about enforcement.

There are standards but many states/counties/cities won't enforce or do not enforce. I don't know why but it is silly.

If people are going to replace shit and make it better that's fine. To many people do without knowing what extras they really need to do to make it safe for everyone on the road. And then lack of enforcement.

I hate the headlights. Some are by far better than others, but that solid annoying as fuck blue headlight from any angle... someone should take a bat to them.

There are standards but many states/counties/cities won't enforce or do not enforce. I don't know why but it is silly.

I think it's because cops like to enforce things that are easy to objectively prove.

You have a radar/lidar gun at it says 80 and the speed limit is 65, that's pretty easy and objective.

All it takes is for an officer to pull over a car once, thinking it might be to bright, only to find that it is in fact a factory system and he was wrong for him to feel like an idiot, and not want to do that again.

If there were a device which could instantly tell you if the lighting on a car were legal from the side of the road, enforcement would likely go way up.

I've been saying forever that cops usually enforce the wrong things in traffic. The hyper-focus on speed limit enforcement, yet completely ignoring things like lack of turning signal use, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, passing on the left (where illegal) - behaviors that are much more dangerous than going 80 in a 65, or 40 on a 30 - shows that enforcement has nothing to do with safety, but more to do with what can easily and quickly be enforced, with minimal chances of appeal

Reactions: Gavv
like this
the escalade lights are horrible if they are behind you.. GM did a piss poor job of making those work right

No matter what truck is behind my civic, it's always shining straight into my side mirrors, and then my retinas. The fact we're only talking about this now is ridiculous.

I use Philips Ultinon LEDs in my car. Designed to mimic normal Halogen bulbs. After installing and testing them in a light tester, they're no different than my halogens. Same pattern. Checked against a wall, same spread too. They're just brighter. My old Philips X-treme Vision halogens said +130%, while these Ultinon are +150%.

I also have some Baja Design LED pencil spotlight/wide cornering light aux lights. I don't use them except when I go play in the mountains at like 3 am and they go off, if I see any traffic in the distance. Germany has zero street lights once you get out of town and majority of the back roads around me have trees. So not even the moonlight can light up the road.

I'm also not in a giant lifted truck. I'm in a 2000 Impreza that's lowered by about 1".

I use Philips Ultinon LEDs in my car. Designed to mimic normal Halogen bulbs. After installing and testing them in a light tester, they're no different than my halogens. Same pattern. Checked against a wall, same spread too. They're just brighter. My old Philips X-treme Vision halogens said +130%, while these Ultinon are +150%.

I also have some Baja Design LED pencil spotlight/wide cornering light aux lights. I don't use them except when I go play in the mountains at like 3 am and they go off, if I see any traffic in the distance. Germany has zero street lights once you get out of town and majority of the back roads around me have trees. So not even the moonlight can light up the road.

I'm also not in a giant lifted truck. I'm in a 2000 Impreza that's lowered by about 1".

got a pix of that? (the Phillips)

If they are above the bumper, they aren't fog lights. For fog lights to actually work in, you know, fog, they need to be as low as possible. It's like the idiots who try to use high beams in fog. All you do is blind yourself. ANd the morons in the jacked up trucks - you need to adjust you headlights after lifting the truck a foot, otherwise they are pointing far too high.

I loathed driving my father's 2006 BMW X5 for the reason that the normal xenon lights were so bright (and pointed up) that I'd blind myself from the reflection of the rear view mirror of the car in front of me.

They're broken then. My HIDs do not point up that far. Actually what's broken may be the load sensor - like most, BMW HIDs self-adjust. When I turn on my lights they start pointing way down and lift to the proper level. Only way I'm goign to get glare off someone's rearview mirror is if I came up behind them with high beams on.

I can understand this. I'm driving a mid 2000's Audi and it has Xenon headlights. When I took possession of the car (used), I had the mechanic during my initial inspection and first maintenance realign the headlights properly; had I left them misaligned from wear over time, they could not only blind people but not provide as good a viewing area as they should. Prior to LEDs, Xenons with their brighter and blue-white tone were the previous "too damn bright" headlight complaint. I've considered upgrading the car a bit and I do like the look of some of those after-market LED headlight replacements (not just the bulb or reflector but the entire assembly, turn signal etc..) , but I think so long as they are within specs and properly aimed they should not be blinding people. Sadly, so many are not installed or configured properly I gather. Of course, nothing will fix the "idiot factor' of someone being rude with their lifted vehicle, leaving highbeams on when right behind or coming toward you etc...

If they are above the bumper, they aren't fog lights. For fog lights to actually work in, you know, fog, they need to be as low as possible. It's like the idiots who try to use high beams in fog. All you do is blind yourself. ANd the morons in the jacked up trucks - you need to adjust you headlights after lifting the truck a foot, otherwise they are pointing far too high.

Not really true. The Mercedes S-class in the early 2000s had the fog lights as part of the headlight unit. The determining factor is where the fog lights are aimed rather than where they're placed.

Even if they did, the light pattern would be less than optimal. You'll get light in the places you need it least, and less light where you actually need it.

I've done 3 retrofits by now, and it can be done in a single day if you know what you're doing, and a weekend taking your time.

Why is this? Is it just because the bulbs are longer and narrower than halogens and shine the light in different places?

Or does it have something to do with the wavelength difference?

Why is this? Is it just because the bulbs are longer and narrower than halogens and shine the light in different places?

Or does it have something to do with the wavelength difference?

Bulb design. The halogen bulb has a coiled filament that is perpendicular to the length of the bulb, while the HID is an arc of gas that runs parallel to the length of the bulb. Same reason LED bulbs don't work well, though LEDs are better able to approximate the halogen filament. LEDs also have cooling challenges and fade significantly as temperature rises, especially in a housing that is entirely sealed.

Well with the education and licens control in the states no wonder people haven't learned how to drive with respect to other.

yes you need to use turn lights.
no turn lights does not mean you get the right of way. you still have to check blind spots
Stop usign the f...reaking brights when you are driving behind someone or have a car aproaching you in the other lane.
No left lane is not for driving its only for passing. get out of it if you are not passing.

What's bad are the color which do less to help illuminate the surrounding making the LED seem brighter than a normal headlight by contrast. And the the aim. If you're douchie enought to have 'em you're douchie enough to aim them at oncoming traffic instead of the road.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice. It's out of control where I'm at. LED light bars on vehicles, improperly installed after market lights (doesn't matter if LED or not). It's the worst on trucks -- the lights are too high up if you're in a sedan/coupe.

Pretty much this. Though I honestly have no sympathy for people that are running around in cars that are like <= 4 inches from the ground.

I hate this too. Yes I know the stock headlights on my car are a joke, but today's LED lights in cars are blindingly bright. I live in farmland USA, so every dickhead with a lifted truck that also thinks its cool to have their 10 billion lumen off-roaders on, blinding everyone going the opposite direction. But hey, they can spot a deer from 5 miles out now, and if they go on a steep enough hill they might be seen from space. So who cares, right?

I wish I could just install/mount about five of these, wire them up, push a button to activate all at once, and return the favor.
I made the mistake of flashing my high beams at someone who has this. His headlights were bright so I flashed him expecting them to dim, I was instead greeted by a miniature sun on wheels. He had a 30" on top and 4 2" lights on the grill and had zero issues flicking them on to show me "it could be worse".

I wanted to be mad but honestly I was just speechless and glad he only kept them on long enough to make his point lol. I live in an area where large jacked up trucks are actually needed for work so light bars are very common place here, but he was next level.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I made the mistake of flashing my high beams at someone who has this. His headlights were bright so I flashed him expecting them to dim, I was instead greeted by a miniature sun on wheels. He had a 30" on top and 4 2" lights on the grill and had zero issues flicking them on to show me "it could be worse".

I wanted to be mad but honestly I was just speechless and glad he only kept them on long enough to make his point lol. I live in an area where large jacked up trucks are actually needed for work so light bars are very common place here, but he was next level.

I can't think of any kind of work that requires a large jacked up truck, except monster truck drivers. Stock trucks are already ridiculously high today, compared to like 2-3 decades ago.

Although, my station wagon will be getting LED headlights soon. Already has fog lights and PIAA spot lights. The fogs and PIAA lights are actually stock. I'll be swapping out the PIAA with a 10" bar and two wide cornering aux lights. Contemplating on a 30" bar on top. Either way, I wouldn't be a jackass and drive around with my high beams on, nor actually hit anyone with any of those bars/aux lights. My 10" bar itself is over 11,000 lumens.

What my car could look like, if it was with all the exterior options
gravel-express.jpg

I can't think of any kind of work that requires a large jacked up truck, except monster truck drivers. Stock trucks are already ridiculously high today, compared to like 2-3 decades ago.

Although, my station wagon will be getting LED headlights soon. Already has fog lights and PIAA spot lights. The fogs and PIAA lights are actually stock. I'll be swapping out the PIAA with a 10" bar and two wide cornering aux lights. Contemplating on a 30" bar on top. Either way, I wouldn't be a jackass and drive around with my high beams on, nor actually hit anyone with any of those bars/aux lights. My 10" bar itself is over 11,000 lumens.

What my car could look like, if it was with all the exterior options
View attachment 62312
Oilfield in Canada, the ruts on some leases after heavy rain or during every spring can very easily leave stock trucks trapped lol.

Not really true. The Mercedes S-class in the early 2000s had the fog lights as part of the headlight unit. The determining factor is where the fog lights are aimed rather than where they're placed.
Same for the 04 TL integrated them into the headlamp assembly

one MAJOR downside to LED (retrofit) is not enough heat to keep snow off of your headlights in really cold weather

There sure is a lot of wrong currently. First you have everybody staring at their phones. Idiots flying drones, Now we have blinding LED lights in cars.

Whats next?

He should have taken you flashing him as his headlights need to be lowered. Either that or he's one of those assholes running HIDs/LEDs in halogen reflectors.

Oilfield in Canada, the ruts on some leases after heavy rain or during every spring can very easily leave stock trucks trapped lol.

I can see that. A bit surprising they don't toss some rocks, gravel, and sand to help with that. Unless those roads simply aren't used too heavily.

There sure is a lot of wrong currently. First you have everybody staring at their phones. Idiots flying drones, Now we have blinding LED lights in cars.

Whats next?

Maybe kids will try something new. Like create "The Bleach Challenge".

I can see that. A bit surprising they don't toss some rocks, gravel, and sand to help with that. Unless those roads simply aren't used too heavily.
Its the leases themselves, they are hauling equipment around that weighs in the area of 100,000lbs, no amount of gravel would fix it. Once the lease is setup they put down portable wooden mats that can take the load but until then you get truck eating ruts left behind by the large rig moving equipment lol

According to a survey by UK motoring organization RAC, two-thirds of drivers are dazzled by modern headlights, which are much brighter due to LED technology. Many say that they are blinded even when the lights are dipped, and that it takes up to five seconds before they can see clearly again. The Department of Transportation is investigating.

"Headlight technology has advanced considerably in recent years, but while that may be better for the drivers of those particular vehicles, it is presenting an unwanted, new road safety risk for anyone driving towards them or even trying to pull out at a junction." The complaints have led the Department for Transport to set up a United Nations working group to find out why more drivers feel headlights have become overly bright.

OEM lights are never a problem.

Highschool ricers and their aftermarket crap are a huge problem, they are poorly installed and dangerous.

I do have people flash me every now and then on my subaru w/oem

OEM lights are never a problem.

Highschool ricers and their aftermarket crap are a huge problem, they are poorly installed and dangerous.

I do have people flash me every now and then on my subaru w/oem

So, are they never a problem, or sometimes a problem in your Subaru? :p

I find that most low cars with OEM's are not a problem.

Taller Trucks and SUV's usually are a problem, even with OEM LED or HID systems.

Every time some asshole in a lifted truck with after market headlights gets behind me it make me want to take my 3 watt laser pointer and blind them right back (ofc that kind of blinding lasts a bit longer)

Or just mount a remotely triggered 40 Million Candlepower HID Spotlight Lantern on your hat shelf, ad set it up to be remotely triggered when you need it.

You just want to make your point, not permanently injure anyone.

Reactions: kinjo
like this
So, are they never a problem, or sometimes a problem in your Subaru? :p

I find that most low cars with OEM's are not a problem.

Taller Trucks and SUV's usually are a problem, even with OEM LED or HID systems.

On rural 2 lane roads, if i'm cresting a hill and they are coming up the other side, they will get hit with the lights. Otherwise no they have a very sharp cutoff. But i will get flashed by those people. But mine are hid i think, no LED.

HIDs actually are bad for flashing people with. They have a 5 to 20 second warmup period before achieving full brightness.

Also... Only a 35 watt HID. I have two 55 watt HIDs for my headlights. Plus two 65 watt HIR halogens for additional high beams.

LED is only starting to catch on here, so its all new cars that have them, haven't seen an issue really yet
Main issue is as others point out is people fitting them aftermarket.

Our NCT (National Car Test) thats either conducted every 2 years or every year (for cars older than 10 years) checks for this
If you;ve fit Xenons and don't have auto leveling or headlamp washers (which every factory fitted car with Xenons has here) they will fail you straight away

Back