Driver that takes a joystick and emulates a wheel/pedal set?

uOpt

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to play a racing game. I used to use a joystick which worked just fine. However, the modern console-ported crap only supports wheel sets.

It should be reasonably easy to write a driver that pretends to be a wheel and pedal set and takes input from a joystick. However, I didn't find any except for one guy doing binary editing in strings inside a driver.

Anybody having some thoughts or tips on this?

Alternatively, any PC racing games left that aren't console crap ported over? I would really like to do Formula 1 with the actual track which is an IP problem but I have no problem downloading mods.

As in an oldschool joystick? Most modern racing games should support, at the very least, a 360 controller OOTB. You could try using one of those....

Or if you have a specific joystick that you want to emulate 360 controller/wheel functions to, you might be able to use Xpadder, however I don't have real experience with it.

Right. I could get a 360 controller which would at least give me analog steering control (instead of the on/off steering that they do for the keyboard, what are they thinking?). I would really like to support my actual joystick, though. It is a Saitek Cyborg Ego.

Doesn't Saitek have a profile program that you can use to modify how the Cyborg Ego reacts in games?

Think similar to Logitech's Gaming (Wingman) Software or CH Products Control Manager that allow you modify axis outputs and button outputs.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, I would check out Xpadder. I believe that you can use it to map 360 controller functions to other devices (Playstation controller, for example)... so as long the joystick shows up as a game controller in device manager, I'd think that Xpadder would recognize it.

edit: and this is why I'm glad the 360 controller is the default template profile used in modern games. This thread gave me flashbacks to the 90's-2000's of having to need specific game support to even use a joystick/gamepad. It was always a headache.

What kind of a 360 controller (or other game controller) would I need to get a decent joystick?

I'll check out Xpadder. And Saitek's software (ETA: looks they only do mouse emulation).

Back