Driver question about older video card

Hardball

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP card for an older system I have. It will replace an MSI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition card in an Intel P4 3.0 ghz system that uses the Intel E7205 chipset on the mobo (circa 2005, around the time of the P45 chipset??).. My question is which driver revision is a good choice for this card in this older system? I realise that I will need to use an older driver revision for this setup, but I don't want to use the Catalyst Control Center and it's .net requirements. I just want to use a good set of drivers and an older control panel setup instead of the Catalyst Control Center. What are my options here? Will I need one of the AGP hotfix drivers, or are they mainly for systems that use motherboards with non Intel chipsets?

More issues and crashes have cropped up since I installed the 3850 AGP and the 10.12 agp hotfix drivers. The system just crashed and took me to a blue screen that read the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati2dvag
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problems with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000EA (0x86B8A020, 0x86B00670, 0xF7AA1CB4, 0x00000001)
Ati2dvag
Beginning dump of physical memory"

I'm guessing I need to get rid of the 10.12 agp hotfix drivers that I installed with the card yesterday. Problem is, there is no listing for the drivers or anything ATI/AMD at all in add/remove programs. How do I get rid of these drivers? Is my only option to go into safe mode (F8) and use Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of them and then install another set of drivers? Is there another option? Again, I'm on XP Pro 32bit SP3.

Did you uninstall the previous driver before you swapped cards and installed the newer driver? Did you get any error messages when installing the new drivers? If they installed correctly you should have an entry in add/remove programs. Using driver cleaner may be your only option to uninstall your current driver. Just make sure you backup your data in case the OS gets hosed. If I'm not mistaken you don't need the AGP hotfix driver for an Intel chipset, just make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed. You may want to check Sapphire's website and use whatever driver they have available for your card. Hope this helps.

Vola-

I uninstalled the previous drivers with add/remove and then with Driver Cleaner in safe mode. The only odd thing that happened during the install of the 10.12 agp hotfix drivers that I got from AMD's site was that at the end of the process it said something didn't get installed and that the drivers?? were not digitally signed. The only thing I did was to deselect the CCC option during the install as I don't want the Catalyst Control Center or it's required .net framework to be installed on my system. I prefer to use an older control panel instead. The driver itself was installed.

As far as the chipset driver goes, the last time I did an install of those was when I did a format and reinstall of XP Pro SP3 about a year and a half ago. Do you think I need to install a newer version if one is available, and if so, can that be done easily as an upgrade along the lines of a video card driver update, or is there more involved?

Yea it sounds like your driver install had a problem and didn't complete. You can use driver cleaner to remove it. You can download the latest driver for your chipset from Intel's website. It's an executable you just run it and if there's any chipset driver that needs updating it'll take care of it. It seems like I had issues a couple of years ago installing an AGP 3850 in a computer with the drivers from ATI's website and wound up going with the latest driver from the card manufacturer website. If you are trying to use an older version of an ATI control panel with newer drivers there may be issues due to mismatched file versions.

BTW, where did you get the driver you're using? The latest in the sapphire website is 10.11. I also noticed on their website all the drivers were labeled with AGP hotfix so I guess you'll need it after all.

try older drivers. theres nothing past 9.12 that effect the 3k series.

Back