Driver gave me BSOD, I installed new ones now down to 1 monitor from 3

johnnyscience

Limp Gawd
I have 3 monitors & recently upgraded my video card. I was having issues with the drivers & was getting the BSOD.

I posted a thread in the BSOD section on sevenforums.com & they suggested I re-install the drivers, which I did, using the version - 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql - but now I'm down to 1 monitor instead of my triple monitor setup.

Here is the thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/336187-new-video-card-causing-bsod-constantly.html

Can anyone help me get my drivers working properly so I can have all 3 of my monitors working properly again?

As it stands 2 out of the 3 monitors mirror each other and trying to locate them under screen resolution doesn't work.

Thanks.

Ok I will try that now.

I have tried multiple times now, everytime I try installing Catalyst it seems to do so properly but I can't find the program itself to open up and adjust settings? Would this be where I find all 3 monitors?

That didn't work.

I should also note my display that does work doesn't look good, looks like terrible graphics.

So is something not installed properly? I uninstalled and reinstalled everything properly.

I was told to download this driver: 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql

and it installed fine.

This however seems to be the newest, most stable version, which is what I had problems with before: 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql

What am I not doing right for Catalyst to open?

I would recommend getting CCC Driver 13.12,It is the most stable drivers that AMD has released in the last year for Eyefinity. I have tried almost all 13-XX drivers and the up to the last beta driver 14.7RC3 driver and received crashes, BSODs on all but the 13.12,. If you need the download let me know, probably have a link around here to it somewhere when I needed to re-download it.

I have tested several drivers with just sitting idle, the flashplayer crash, you tube crash, valley benchmark, Crisis, GW2, etc. All of them in 5760x1080. Only driver I have seen not to crash is the 13.12,.

I also recommend uninstall the previous drivers first using your uninstall manager in windows and then run AMDCleanup utility that can be found on there site.

Last edited:
I have installed 13-9 - you're saying the one you use is 3-12, NOT 12-3?

Wouldn't that make 3-12 a very old driver?

Am I going to be losing out on anything with this older driver? I almost wish I never bought this card...

Yes any link to a stable driver would be great.

Any idea why Catalyst Control Center isn't opening/being found etc on my computer?

I have installed 13-9 - you're saying the one you use is 3-12, NOT 12-3?

Wouldn't that make 3-12 a very old driver?

Am I going to be losing out on anything with this older driver? I almost wish I never bought this card...

Yes any link to a stable driver would be great.

Any idea why Catalyst Control Center isn't opening/being found etc on my computer?

My apologies, made that response late last night right before bed it is 13.12 not 3-12. 3-12 would be well old, probably would not have support for the current cards. The specific one I am using is 13.12C.

I would also do the full AMD cleanup, sometimes pieces of each install are left over and cause major problems on later AMD driver installs.

This is how I uninstall AMD drivers
Uninstall via windows
Restart
AMD Clean up utility
Driver cleaner
Restart
Check Device manager hidden installs to verify it is loading on generic driver.
If not uninstall/delete via device manager
Restart
Install New driver

Using this method for me works every time to clean out previous AMD drivers. Just installing via windows does a terrible job, just terrible.
Again I apologize for the driver mix-up! Was a long day yesterday.

I had a similar issue with BSOD's on any ATI card I had in my PC.
Once I followed the step by step instructions replacing the atikmdag.sys file all my instability issues have gone away.

http://www.computertipsfree.com/fix-43029-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-bsod-in-windows-7/

Should I still do this atikmdag.sys file replacement AFTER doing Nexiullus re-install of 13-12?

So I shouldn't try it on the 13-9 that I have installed now? Completely remove this version too & for sure go with 13-12?

If you follow my steps for the uninstall it deletes ALL AMD Drivers. Shouldn't need to go to atikmdg.sys and delete it but wouldn't hurt to try to search for it afterwards.

What GPU do you currently use?
What motherboard?
What connections do you use to connect the monitors?

It's an Asus mobo, a few years old at this point.

I'm using 2 dvi & 1 display port. I've had all 3 working fine, but the drivers werent stable. So I know it will work, just need the most stable driver.

Instead of trying different new ones, which I've already had issues with, I'd rather just install the stable version nexillus suggested.

Can anyone help me locate 13.12 ?

Well more than likely you have remnants of previous drivers interacting with the new driver you're trying to install. That's why I suggested running DDU and trying one of the new ones. But if you're set on installing 13.12 here is the link to it. That website has most every driver released for quite a few years.

Hope it works out for you. :)

I realize this can be an issue, but I took the proper steps the last time and removed everything completely & cleanly. Thank you though.

What do you guys think about 13.12 vs 14.4 ? I know I tried 13.9, I could have sworn I also tried 14.4 - I think I'd be happy just to get all 3 monitors back up and running with 13.12?

And this is the graphics card in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127781

halilullah! IT'S WORKING AGAIN!

Man after months of downtime because I was so frustrated, back up to a 3 monitor setup with 13.12 - lets hope it's stable!

Thanks to everyone involved!

Back