Driver Fined $48K For Using Cell Phone Jammer

I've never been able to understand how talking on a cell phone is any more distracting than my daughter in the back seat and my wife in the front both talking to me at the same time.
Do you turn around while driving to talk to your daughter in the back seat? If so, that is illegal under the general distracted driving laws. And that's the problem, its not the talking on the cellphone, its the looking down in your lap to punch in a phone number or text someone or scroll through your address book, while you just traveled two football fields essentially with your eyes closed and one hand on the wheel.

Yeah, because that definitely makes sense. :rolleyes:

I said slowly. That doesn't imply I wanted him to go up in a ball of flame, I wanted it to imply that he had time to think about "Well, shit, if I could use my cell phone, I could be out of here in 5 minutes, not 15 that I'll have to drag myself away".

You guys think too literally.

You're dreaming. Twenty Years ago maybe you could slip by like that, with today's equipment it's almost instantaneous if they are looking for you.

"If they are looking for you" then maybe. Blast for 3 seconds while driving in traffic on some random freeway. Good luck with that.

If they were that competent they would have found flight 370 by now. Heh

So you and everyone else in this thread with the same type of comment are going to ignore that it is ILLEGAL to use the device in the first place?

No, I am going to point it out a second time that your wrong and it isn't illegal at all by Florida State Law.
http://www.dmvflorida.org/cell-phone-distractions.shtml
Other posters referenced the use of the phone in previous posts being illegal (which it wasn't), but this particular post and context darkstarcow was referencing the use of the cell phone jammer which is in fact illegal to use per federal law and FCC regulations.

Think of all the addicts that suffered stress from this guy... :D

Who gives a crap if he used a jammer? Good for him. but the fine? OOF. Silly for the act. $1000 maybe.
And I'm sure the signal jamming is pretty much localised to a small area around his car. As he drove on and/or you drove away it was less of an issue. I doubt anyone tried to make a call couldn't and didn't try again at some other time.
Phones are a convenience to us that can easily be an inconvenience to others. But the main problem is like others have said, just crappy drivers. add a phone as a distraction you have a driver holding up traffic oblivious as they chat on the phone.

Here's an interesting thought -- was this guy's fine greater than the fine/punishment imposed on the kid who KILLED 4 people while drunk driving? Makes you think.

While I'm glad the guys jamming days are over -- there are way worse things to fix, namely the drunk driving thing.

You kill someone while drunk driving?-- after you sober up, you get a quick trial, and then are executed , no exceptions.

Caught drunk driving? -- lose your car -- no exceptions

Same thing with the people doing 55mph in the fast lane, sometimes it's tempting to become a cop JUST so I could pull over and ticket people like that. The downside would be having to deal with human garbage every day.

You're messing with the airwaves, the government doesn't look kindly on that. This isn't a local level crime, you're dealing with the big boys.

I looked into these a few years ago. I had gotten sick of going grocery shopping and having to deal with fat nasty people screaming into there phones 3 isles away while there asshole kids ran a muck.

I almost bought one until I read about the legality & the fines. I think it said $10,000 fine for having it in your possession. That was without using it. I decided it was easier to just go shopping at night with the blue hairs. Much more peaceful.

I do think that short range jammers should be legalized though. Something like a 20ft range would be good .

I think'd it'd be more karma if he drove off the road and was incapacitated while his vehicle burned, very slowly. He'd have plenty of time to think about the situation while pinned in his seat.

Hey, I found my happy thought for the day.

/s

Cell phone use in and of itself is not a problem. If someone is using handsfree with their vehicle's built in functionality or just using it stuck to their dash for GPS and aren't TOUCHING the phone, I'm fine with it.

The problem is, it's already been documented that hands-free isn't any safer. Being distracted is being distracted and unfortunately too many people have hubris and think they're much better drivers than they really are.

I speak about this because one of the highways close to me was in the top 10 most dangerous roads in the USA. A 2 mile stretch of highway going into NYC. Yet for some mysterious reason, there are around 700 accidents a year here (in a 2 mile stretch), and it's a flat straightaway. Half the time, I'm not even able to comprehend how some vehicles could be as crushed as they were because you're lucky if you can even travel 20 mph.

The problem is, it's already been documented that hands-free isn't any safer. Being distracted is being distracted and unfortunately too many people have hubris and think they're much better drivers than they really are.

I speak about this because one of the highways close to me was in the top 10 most dangerous roads in the USA. A 2 mile stretch of highway going into NYC. Yet for some mysterious reason, there are around 700 accidents a year here (in a 2 mile stretch), and it's a flat straightaway. Half the time, I'm not even able to comprehend how some vehicles could be as crushed as they were because you're lucky if you can even travel 20 mph.

Life will find a way.

Morons will find a way

Who gives a crap if he used a jammer? Good for him. but the fine? OOF. Silly for the act. $1000 maybe.
And I'm sure the signal jamming is pretty much localised to a small area around his car. As he drove on and/or you drove away it was less of an issue. I doubt anyone tried to make a call couldn't and didn't try again at some other time.
Phones are a convenience to us that can easily be an inconvenience to others. But the main problem is like others have said, just crappy drivers. add a phone as a distraction you have a driver holding up traffic oblivious as they chat on the phone.

Who gives a crap if someone breaks into your house and steaks your things. As long as it is only your house the fine should only be $5. Locks are a convenience to you, but an inconvenience to the burglar.

I don't care what justification anyone has for using a jammer. Wireless signals are not to be fucked with. The spectrum is not your private property.

Jamming devices are illegal for a reason - they are indiscriminate by nature (unlike firearms since they need to be aimed). I don't want my cell phone signal to be collateral damage to my "good" neighbor trying to block cell phones in his house. Multiply this effect ten or a hundred fold when the neighborhood gets their hands on them and you can pretty much declare the entire town a dead zone. That's great for some, sucks for others, but is anarchic for everyone.

Makes me wonder how many the moron caused while people started actually paying MORE attention to their malfunctioning device then they were when it was working fine.

Because that's clearly the fault of the jammer, not the fault of thousands of morons who are paying more attention to what their hundred dollar electronic toy is doing than to what their tens-of-thousands-of-dollars multi-ton high-speed lethal equipment is doing.

Fully agreed. Once again, the government demonstrates that while they're busily tapping your phone, archiving your calls and texts, and tracking your every position...they'll throw a fucking shit fit if you suddenly disrupt their ability to keep tabs on every citizen by reducing their infantile and addictive attachment to their toys.

The guy was being a self-righteous vigilante douche. Making someone play with their phone because their call got dropped does not make the road safer. No sympathy for this mall ninja.

MAKING someone play with their phone? MAKING them? Who MADE them pick up their fucking phone while they were driving in the first place? I despise these people. They are the worst drivers on the road and far more of a threat than any drunk.

I don't have issue with short range jammers which is my personal view. I realize they are illegal but good luck making or getting a call when I go to the theater for Hobbit 3. The guy was a dick doing it on the road and stupid for doing it regularly.

The cell phone jammer is a great way to stop people from texting and talking while driving their car. Unfortunately, it also stops the guy stopped on the side of the road calling 911 because he's had an accident. It doesn't discriminate.

He only operated the jammer while he was driving. The driver on the side of the road would have only had a few seconds of interruption at the most until he got out of range.

What a load of billshit wordplay. Hands free is safer, that's a fact. Is it safe? Hell no, it's still distracted driving and like you tried to say, it is well documented. Safer than looking away from the road to dial etc.? Hell yes, of course it is.

Back