I have the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106270
Lite-On iHES106 BD-Rom/DVD Burner Sata

I have a machine running XpMediaCenter2005
Specs are
X2-4800
2gb
9500GT (with HDMI/HDCP) pci-e
I can plug regular DVD readers/burners into the sata port, and they work fine.
The BD drive, even if i'm just doing windows explorer reads off of it (not actually trying to play a BluRay), causes the system to bluescreen / reboot

My VistaXp64 machine runs the drive no problems.(intel Dg965wh mobo)

I was thinking "driver issue".. but...
It locks up outside of windows, too. If I boot the machine up on the Windows install disk (on the htpc) It'll lock up after about 30 seconds.

How is it possible that the drive itself isn't defective at all one one machine, yet is completely worthless on another. When that same machine can run OTHER optical drives on the same sata port?

Does the drive try to use a memory range that conflicts with another piece of hardware?
Here's where it's harder to diagnose. THe system, I have no idea what motherboard it's using. It's a gateway GT5820 (several years ago there was a steal on these.. basically $300 for $700 worth of machine)

Do I need to buy a different brand of drive, or is there something about the way BD drives operate that make it impossible to even read an audio-cd or retail data CD from it on this "older" but definitely not "antique" computer?

Back