drive in bios but not in windows device manager

hobochunk

n00b
Hi,

I'm trying to get an older wd 80gb ata drive up and running. It shows up ok in the bios (althought it takes longer than normal to detect). However it doesn't show up at all in windows. It's not in device manager. I've tried it on multiple computers all with the same result. The drive spins up and doesn't make any strange noises so it doesn't seem like a mechanical failure.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks

Sounds like a jumper is set wrong to me, or it's placed on the wrong port of the IDE cable.

Go to Western Digtal's web site and get their Datalifeguard tools for dos, boot up with only that drive on an IDE channel, and run the tests.

I suspect it will fail, but if not, let us know, and I may think of something else by then.

Don

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is that it doesn't show up under windows at all, so the datalifeguard thing doesn't know it's there either.

Kinda frustrating since it's recognized perfectly fine from the bios. Switched out cables, tried on different ports / motherboards and same result. In bios fine, doesn't show up in windows at all.

I'm thinking it's just dead.

If it is showing up in the Bios, the Dos version "should" be able to see it. If not, then it is really dead.

Don't waste any more time on it if you have already tried a new power plug and ide cable. Even if it should magically start working, it is probably going bad and may fail again shortly.

Have you tried it as the only drive on a cable? That will take jumper issues out of the mix.

Don

Try running the tool that Maxtor or WD provides with the HD's that fixed this problem for me.

Back