Drive Bender

lilfiend

Supreme [H]ardness
Drive bender is an application that takes multiple hard drives and turns them into a single mount point. It is very similar to the Drive Extender function that WHS originally had. It costs $40 for a home use license and in my opinion is worth it.

It seems to have all the major functions of DE and i think it does it better then DE ever did. It can duplicate specific files/folders, balance the drives, show multiple drives as one, and it uses NTFS, so if your OS drive goes to crap and you can't restore the pool then you can still easily get your data back off the hard drives (note it replicates all folders over all the hard drives, but it only keeps the files on 1 hard drive at a time, unless you told it to duplicate the file, then it will keep it on 2 hard drives at a time)

Setting Up Drive Bender:

for my set up of Drive bender i had 3 2tb hard drives (non identical) with exisiting data (about 900gb a drive)

The first time i tried setting it up i had told it to 'convert' my drives to DB, which something you SHOULD NEVER DO!!!! i converted all three of my hard drives (D: E: and I:) and it seemed to work ok.... except for one thing, only one hard drive's data was showing up!

Turns out that for every mount point you throw onto drive creates a different ID folder on all the drives!

It also doesn't play nice with partitions, i had my boot partition on one of the 2tb's and while it didn't delete anything it destroyed the boot manager, its not hard to fix but one should be aware of it.

so the way it turned out for me i had mount points D, E, and I added to my pool, if the pool was showing up as I on my computer it would show only I:'s data, same goes for E and D.

I destroyed the pools and moved the data back into the root folders and deleted the drive ID folders then tried again, but this time i used merge.

i used I: as my first drive, so the mount point was I:, then merged the other two folders and bam! it worked, easy as pie.

I'm really just sharing my experience with this software, i think its very good, i'm running it under windows 7 ult 64 bit with no issues, its supposed to run on any M$ OS from XP-7 (havent tested it on 8) and on WHS 2011

I'm more then happy to answer any questions if anyone has any, feel free to PM me if i don't respond in this thread, i am setting up another pool this weekend using 8 drives that vary from 250gb to 750gb in a server running 2k8r2, hopefully i wont run into any new issues, but if i do i'll post about them here!

I've been thinking about using this for my media server. I have 8 2TB drive that I want to fill with my ripped movies/music. I was going to wait until Windows Server 8 comes out since it has that feature built in. I might just go with Server 2008 and Drive Bender.

The first time i tried setting it up i had told it to 'convert' my drives to DB, which something you SHOULD NEVER DO!!!! i
[...]
I destroyed the pools and moved the data back into the root folders and deleted the drive ID folders then tried again, but this time i used merge.

Thanks - this happened to me too. Unfortunately their tech support seemed unaware that this could happen and were not much help. After some reading, I suspected this is what I needed to do. I'm following in your footsteps and so far so good.

Hmmm, thanks for posting this. I've had Drive Bender bookmarked for a couple weeks now meaning to look into it...this might be worth getting. Any other particulars about this software you've discovered that might be worth mentioning?

Hmmm, thanks for posting this. I've had Drive Bender bookmarked for a couple weeks now meaning to look into it...this might be worth getting. Any other particulars about this software you've discovered that might be worth mentioning?

nothing really since i've posted last about it, it still runs great, no issues on windows 7 x64 using 3 x2tb drives

this is a software jbod but when a drive fails or the raid card fails or anything getting your data back is extremely easy because all the files are where they are supposed to be (albeit spread over multiple drives)

i currently have duplication turned on for about 200gb worth of stuff and it works just fine (mostly pictures and important documents) i also have drive load balancing turned on and i think it might be slowing down my transfers when i move a couple hundred gb+ around a little bit but other then that i've seen no issues

Would like to know as well, since it's been over 5 months since your initial post. I notice that the home version is on sale for 50% off ($20) until August 17th, and am very interested in pulling the trigger if things are still going well with your installation.

Please give us some feedback on this... ;)

Yes my 3x2tb drives in the same drivebender pool is going strong, I even managed to do a fresh install without losing my pool or having to reconfigure it. I just re-installed drivebender and told it to rebuild my pool.

I'm still running this on windows 7 ult x64 and it runs like a champ! (Note: I re-installed windows for reasons unrelated to Drive Bender and was personally worried about losing my drive pool but it all worked out so yay!)

Also thanks Axdrenalin for asking as well or I might not have noticed that someone had posted in this thread again!

EDIT: to follow up on the drive load balancing I changed the settings for it so it balances every night at midnight, so file copying and the such are no longer slowed down (had it on aggressive real time load balancing) so now my drives only slow down from about midnight till about 12:45am but i've got media and file streaming as a priority in drive bender so copying files from the drive pool and watching movies/tv shows do not suffer.

Last edited:
Nice, I guess I'm going to go ahead and grab this tonight since the sale is up tomorrow. Don't quite have the drives I want to use it with just yet, but 50% off is a deal so why wait? :D

Being the geek that I am, If I decide to swap this to another machine in the future does it have a transfer option, or can I remove the license from one machine and reinstall it on another?

One thing I've discovered from using the trial is, it does NOT like flaky drives. 1 of my 8 drives needs to be RMAd. When the drive is just under Windows, it works fine because Windows recovers from it disconnecting/reconnecting. When it's in the Drive Bender pool, it causes all kinds of problems. Everything seems to be working well now that I removed it from the pool.

One thing I've discovered from using the trial is, it does NOT like flaky drives. 1 of my 8 drives needs to be RMAd. When the drive is just under Windows, it works fine because Windows recovers from it disconnecting/reconnecting. When it's in the Drive Bender pool, it causes all kinds of problems. Everything seems to be working well now that I removed it from the pool.

Certainly good information to know. What brand drives are you using, if I may ask, and which one needs the RMA?

Certainly good information to know. What brand drives are you using, if I may ask, and which one needs the RMA?

They're all Hitachi 5k3000. I bought eight drives brand new and one was unreliable. I hadn't RMAd it yet because it was working OK and I'm lazy.

Nice, I guess I'm going to go ahead and grab this tonight since the sale is up tomorrow. Don't quite have the drives I want to use it with just yet, but 50% off is a deal so why wait? :D

Being the geek that I am, If I decide to swap this to another machine in the future does it have a transfer option, or can I remove the license from one machine and reinstall it on another?

It does not have an issue with being re-activated, you just click activate online, enter your code, and it deactivates your old install.

I'm surprised you even tried adding a flaky drive! RMA it ASAP! Don't want to lose any of your data do you?

On a side note going to try upgrading to windows 8 RTM tonight to see if drive bender works ok on that, from what I could find from googleing it looks like you have to manually install .net 3.5 sp1 or some shit but it works after that.... so we'll see!

UPDATE!

Got it working on windows 8! just had to go to "turn windows features on or off" and check the ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)"

To restore a pool all you have to do is click "restore pool" under the "pool dashboard" in the Drive Bender Manager and it puts it back to the way you had it before.

YAY! this is on windows 8 x64

Back