Drill, tin snips, tedkj and an Optiplex GX620

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
So I received a package from a very generous [H] DCer, tedkj.
Inside was a nice 8800GT, Gigabyte 256MB.

Looking around, I realized I had used up all of my PCIe x16 slots and I needed a home for this card....I knew that my work P4-3.8 had a PCIe X16 RADEON R600 in it, but only a crappy 305W Dell PSU in a semi-proprietary form factor, the wiring/pin outs were normal, but size, shape and mounting are different from a standard PSU.

That little Dell PSU would scream like the Wicked Witch of the West if t If I tried to run a GPU2 client on an 8800GT with that power hungry P4 in there. ( By that I mean it would scream "Help me I'm melting" ;) )

The Dell still has 1.5years of a 3-year warranty left..... but screw it.
So I cut a chunk out of the rear sheet metal and plastic cover, bent a few tabs and drilled a screw hole. The new Earthwatts 430 fit just fine after some slightly-more-than-minor surgery and the 8800GT had plenty of room.

+5k PPD and -1 warranty. Fair trade, I'd say.

Talk about [H]ard Mr relic :eek:

Honestly you and tedkj are two inspirational members of this team (plus you're both in the "power house" category of folders)

FOLD ON!

Thanks for the compliment.
At 10k/day, you're no slacker. :) That's some [H]ard folding.

Nice work there.
Any blood ??

Luck ............ :D

This is one hard relic to figure out. He bills his own time at something like a thousand dollars and hour yet instead of stopping off for a $25.00 case he mods a dell:rolleyes:

I go over the edge from time to time……..but…….a Dell?:p;):D

No blood (chalk that up to ghetto-modding early in the day before I start drinking) and no pics (no camera actually).
Shens?, well the PPD speak for me. :p

This is one hard relic to figure out. He bills his own time at something like a thousand dollars and hour yet instead of stopping off for a $25.00 case he mods a dell:rolleyes:

I go over the edge from time to time……..but…….a Dell?:p;):D

It was a proximity error....the Dell was the only thing nearby without an 8800gt in it. Well, except for the toaster...and that didn't have a PCIe x16 slot, I checked.

Dude...I ghetto-modded a Dell.

That's what I'm talking about!!! Way to get [H]ard!!

Fold On!!

i hate the GX620 with a passion... we have 460 of them here and i have replaced over 150 hard drives in just GX620's... the optiplex 745 seems much nicer, we have like 300 of those and they have been ok...

im guessing your talking about a tower tho, we have desktops

i hate the GX620 with a passion... we have 460 of them here and i have replaced over 150 hard drives in just GX620's... the optiplex 745 seems much nicer, we have like 300 of those and they have been ok...

Agreed, have 8 GX620 at work and 10 Optiplex 745 (one of them is my work computer with a Samsung 245B screen). While both of them work great, I heard other techs talking horrors about the GX620.

Anyway, great mod (not ghetto due to the lack of duct tape).

OK, I added duct tape to manage the extra PSU cabling.
I also used fender washers and bolts to add a 90mm fan to the back.
Ghetto now?

This is a tower, yes. Still a POS, but it folds fine if you don't mind a little "surgery".
Since we're a top tier Dell distributor, we have mostly Dell equipment. Best thing I can say is that it has a good warranty and it's cheap.

I'd never buy one for myself. ;)

OK, I added duct tape to manage the extra PSU cabling.
I also used fender washers and bolts to add a 90mm fan to the back.
Ghetto now?

Only if the washers are chromed;)

Hahahha. I can relate to that. I havent had very good luck with the GX520's. But the 745s and 755s seem much better.

Good going relic!:)

Some dude in the DC forum just raped a Dell! ;)

This is great. Now I know that there are boxen out there that look sadder than mine. :p

Wrong, that would be "rice" not ghetto. :p

Wrong, it's only rice if it goes VROOM-BAH. If it's chrome washers it may be redneck.

"If you use tin snips and chrome washers to attach a power supply to your $1000 PC...you may be a RedNeck"

Maybe I'll submit that for the next Blue Collar Comedy tour. :D

"If you use tin snips and chrome washers to attach a power supply to your $1000 PC...you may be a RedNeck"

I am unable to dispute your flawless logic, you are obviously correct.
I am a redneck modder.

Is it ok if I keep drinking 18yo scotch? I just can't stomach PBR.

Absolutely. I don't think anybody really drinks PBR. I'm pretty sure it's only used in the chroming process for the washers...

Absolutely. I don't think anybody really drinks PBR. I'm pretty sure it's only used in the chroming process for the washers...

Now I understand why all these yahoos have silver teeth. ;)
Well, the ones that aren't black or missing are silver....usually both of them.

Now I understand why all these yahoos have silver teeth. ;)
Well, the ones that aren't black or missing are silver....usually both of them.

Q: Whats 138 feet long and has 12 teeth?

A: The funnel cake line at the county fair.

You gotta get the glass bottles of PBR. The cans are terrible for some reason. However a longneck PBR is a thing of beauty, and it tastes good! If you wanna get real redneck, you have to find some STAG beer. Also known as "Steak, Taters, and Gravy" or "Simply Tasty and Good." Cheers.

You gotta get the glass bottles of PBR. The cans are terrible for some reason. However a longneck PBR is a thing of beauty, and it tastes good! If you wanna get real redneck, you have to find some STAG beer. Also known as "Steak, Taters, and Gravy" or "Simply Tasty and Good." Cheers.

Ummm Stag. Now there's a blast from m' past. Next thing you know you'll be telling me Schlitz is a viable alternative.. Cheers back.

Schlitz was my nickname in college, last name Schmitz so it happens.

I swear I'm going to buy and send Relic a cheapo $25 digital camera just so he can take picks of his Dr. Jekyl momnts! or should I say Dr. Relic, Wahahahaha...

How do you have a folding farm but not at least 1 digital camera or camera phone that you could send a picture to somewhere & post here.

Back