Dremel Rotary Tool is a Modder's Best Friend

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is far from the top of the line Dremel, but it is likely that you don't need a Dremel that is extremely fancy when getting your latest PC system modifications together. The Dremel 200 (2-speed) is $29 today at Amazon with Prime Shipping. And it comes with enough accessories to get you started, but I highly suggest getting some high quality cut-off wheels as well. These work so much better than the cheap non-reinforced type you are likely used to using. And this of course helps send mankind to the Moon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had the same dremel tool for at least 15 years now.

Thing is a tank.

Mine is the old model that has variable speed via a slider.

Edit: You don't need the Dremel brand cutoff wheels for modding. Harbor Freight sells them for a lot cheaper and they are just as good. The accessories kits are a steal compared to the Dremel brand ones as well.

I'm on my second dremel, a battery powered one. It's powerful enough for light cutting and polishing but if you want to cut metal get a corded one. Also 2nding the better cut off wheels, the light ones break way too easily.

I've had the same dremel tool for at least 15 years now.

Thing is a tank.

Mine is the old model that has variable speed via a slider.

Edit: You don't need the Dremel brand cutoff wheels for modding. Harbor Freight sells them for a lot cheaper and they are just as good. The accessories kits are a steal compared to the Dremel brand ones as well.

Same here.. I have one with the variable speed slider .. going on 20 years now.. "Made in the USA".. Not sure where they are made now days.. but this thing is the definition of "getting your money's worth"

Same here.. I have one with the variable speed slider .. going on 20 years now.. "Made in the USA".. Not sure where they are made now days.. but this thing is the definition of "getting your money's worth"

It's a DC motor.... What exactly are you expecting to break on it?

I'm glad it's still working, but crap, it damn well still should. 10 dollar box fan from walmart will rack up a few million more hours than your dremel probably.

I use a Sears Rotary Tool (which is a Dremel Rebrand) with a 3 foot flexible shaft (gonna regret typing that) that I bought 20+ years ago.

There are so many things that you can do with one and no one should be without.

This is a pretty good deal, and you only have to buy them once unless you are careless.

I use a Sears Rotary Tool (which is a Dremel Rebrand) with a 3 foot flexible shaft (gonna regret typing that) that I bought 20+ years ago.

There are so many things that you can do with one and no one should be without.

This is a pretty good deal, and you only have to buy them once unless you are careless.

I've got one of those flexible extension shafts as well. I used to use it a lot. However, once I got a 90 degree attachment, the extension shaft has seen much less use. The 90 degree stays on pretty much all the time. I even wore one of them out after about 10 years and had to buy a new one.

I've never had a problem with them. Bought the last 2 older large accessory kits they had a few years ago on clearance. They were less than $1.00 for each kit. I still have a couple of the cutoff wheel packs left.

The "Heavy Duty" cutoff wheels are thicker and last longer than the regular cutoff wheels, and I use those first.

The reinforced cutoff wheels last even longer but they also cut a lot wider path.

Each type of cutoff wheels is good for different things.
Not in my experience. Glad you had a different experience. Harbor Freight is good for cheap shit that is cheap in my experience. If I need an expensive tool that is going to be hardly used, that is where I go.

Dremel tools are good value, but its too noisy in my opinion. I bought a Proxxon 38481 professional tool and it is amazing. The bearings are a lot smoother and it is super quiet. If you are looking at finding a quality tool that lasts for a long time, the Proxxon is a great option.

Dremel tools are good value, but its too noisy in my opinion. I bought a Proxxon 38481 professional tool and it is amazing. The bearings are a lot smoother and it is super quiet. If you are looking at finding a quality tool that lasts for a long time, the Proxxon is a great option.
And it is only $100 more. :)

Harbor Freight has it's ups and downs. I bought a rotary sander there, lasted a few projects but the velcro is melted off now, but my air compressor and all my air tools are on their second house remodel now and have held up great despite being much more complex. Got a trim router that broke in one month but also got a 6 ton winch for my truck that's done great and is now 11 years old lol. I love their air stuff but I generally try to avoid their electric tools, always seem to be an issue for me. That being said, the only electric tool I still have from HF that's going strong is my "dremel" lol

The reality is that you get what you pay for in this world. I pay less for my Dremels but now they are sitting and collecting dust. I was a Dremel guy for most of my life, but when I first tried the Proxxon tool that my buddy had, I was an immediate convert. At almost 15K spindel speed, you hardly feel any vibration. On my dremel, I can hardly even hold the tool at those RPMs and you definitely need ear protection.
You are correct. This was posted for those people that will rarely use one, but might need one for a project. The fact that you have Dremels laying around collecting dust points out that you are a "$30 Dremel guy." We got it.

another option is the Black and Decker RTX. It had more power then my dremel 4000, has variable speed, and is only $35

Speaking of Harbor Freight garbage, their $8.99 Dremel tool is a fucking joke. I don't understand how they get away with selling it. Tried one once and it unshucked and fell apart when I tightened the bit.

Speaking of Harbor Freight garbage, their $8.99 Dremel tool is a fucking joke. I don't understand how they get away with selling it. Tried one once and it unshucked and fell apart when I tightened the bit.

I maybe only use it once a month now, but back a few years I'd use it a few times a week, damn thing's lasted me for like 8 years or so, think I got it in 09

I have a brand X rotary tool called a Trade Craft, I don't use it much but it has a ton of useful to semi useful attachments. I made my own separation tank for my pool and needed to add a drain at the bottom and it was great to smooth out the hole. Also handy for cutting or grinding small things even in tight areas.

Ive gone through I think three Dremels in my life. I bought a Black and Decker rotary tool and its been going strong for about 5 years. The bearings in it arent very smooth anymore... but I already have a replacement for when it dies.

I just spin the tool bits between my thumb and finger. Takes a little longer, but costs nothing.

Warning! That cost gets super inflated once you discover the awesome multitude of bits to collect and start thinking that every object you see could be improved with a hole drilled or part of it cut off.

Warning! That cost gets super inflated once you discover the awesome multitude of bits to collect and start thinking that every object you see could be improved with a hole drilled or part of it cut off.

Much like women...if you want to start drilling lots of holes, things can get expensive quickly. :D

this is why it's worth it to buy the biggest kit when you pick it up, you'll get SO MUCH MORE in bits.

I'll never forget a story I heard back in the heyday of modding (2000s) where someone was using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and accidentally set it down on a brand new high end motherboard, while it was still on.

another option is the Black and Decker RTX. It had more power then my dremel 4000, has variable speed, and is only $35

I own one of these as well. I don't use it very often, but it has worked fine for me. It is compatible with all the Dremel branded stuff too.

My Dremel 3000 broke after not many uses (edit way less than 10) but was past the 2 year warranty.
It was in the middle of an important time critical task.
Taking it apart the contacts to the motor are clipped in place to the inductor wires.
Unfortunately it cut/damaged the wire where it connects to the clip which is why it failed.
(Another clip was bent so I straightened it to prevent further issues)

There is no slack wire to the inductor so I had to find an old inductor from a dead printer and cut a small length of coated wire from it to extend the wire to reach the clip again.
Then cleaned up the ends of both wires, soldered it in then re-applied the clip and its working again.
Pretty crappy engineering for a critical point imo considering the rest of it looks well made.

I have since bought a handle and a chuck for it from Amazon which work great.
It can now take a large variety of tools and makes precision work easier.

The breakage
wire break.jpg

wire break clip.jpg

Last edited:
They need to make better drum sander bits for Dremel as I almost exclusively use it for cutting. The cutting is good but, but regardless of the cut wheel you use, they will frustrate the shit out of you.

Wear a neck guard lol

I've had one for years, great little tools for cutting, friend of mine bought me a huge set with all kinds of bits, polishers, sander and cutting wheels.

Back