Dreamweaver - Testing/Live Website

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I have a live website. I want to use Dreamweaver (CS5) to make a copy of the website. This copy would go on a different domain for testing. I would use the testing website to make changes, test CSS, HTML, etc. However, if I like the changes, I want to be able to push those changes from the testing website to the live website.

Is there a simple way to automate this in Dreamweaver?

edit: probably a noobish question, but I'm used to just using a text editor and editing small websites live. This particular website is a rather large one and one that I don't care to screw up and get in trouble for, hence why I want to test changes first and then push them to the live site.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Depending on what's hosting your site, can't you just copy the site from the server to your computer and then open it with dreamweaver? That is what I would do. Just make sure you make a backup in case something gets messed up and you have to start over. Then after you've made your changes, assuming you like them, you just upload it over the original files and viola... website updated.

Yeah, I thought about doing that, but I also wanted to work in Subversion as a failsafe to revert any changes.

After struggling for the better part of a day trying to get Dreamhost Subversion to work nicely with Dreamweaver, I ended up getting a free account at Project Locker and it works pretty nice.

Back