dream of X1900XT GPU Folding Behemoth

kaleb_zero

Limp Gawd
With the launch of this newest video card (R580) from ATi which, like the rest of the x1000 series, has write-to-memory functionality and is thus ideal for general purpose computation on the GPU (see www.gpgpu.org), I'm practically drooling thinking about its potential as a folding GPU.. Many reviews of the card have pinned it as VERY lopsided in that it has 48 pixel shader processors while only 16 texture pipelines and 8 vertex pipelines (the same number found in r520, except 48 shader processors).. GPU folding is done completely in the shader engine, and thus I think this card would be phenomenal at folding!

Just my two sense while I'm day dreaming... :)

Will be most interesting if/when this happens.

Personally I'm sick of waiting, but Stanford will get things done when they get done. All the threads about this topic kinda seem to go no place on the offical forums.

But, on the bright side it seems than folding on GPU's is closer than ever before and maybe be real before this summer.

I sort of "dream" about it. There hasn't been too much information about how flexible the GPU client Stanford is writing, but I sure hope that they don't have to recode it for each new graphics chip that comes out of ATI. Stanford is using the Brook GPU language. I really hope Stanford can get this new client out the door, or atleast give us more benchmarks of it in action.

Thanks for that link to that gpgpu website. I'll have to check it out.

You'd need to convince Intel to change there compilers, so they do not intentionally cripple AMD performance by using a worse performing compiler.

Back