Dream Job

BobSutan

[H]F Junkie
I was looking over my company's job listing and found this gem. Its my ultimate dream job:

The following experience is highly desirable for the Lead Network Operations Information Security Manager:

· Demonstrated excellence in managing complex multiple network security systems simultaneously.

· Demonstrated excellence in trouble shooting and resolving network operations and security problems in a very complex network environment.

· Significant experience with network security management and operations in a classified environment.

· Significant experience with hardware and software similar to that of the Government's current configuration.

· Significant experience with current and proposed network management tools (e.g., Secure Wave).

· Significant experience with network configuration management and security practices.

· Significant experience with performance management (e.g., performance monitoring, tuning, diagnosing) of network security systems and environments similar in scope to that of the PWS.

· Significant experience integrating, configuring, and installing security equipment to that of the PWS in a helpdesk environment.

· Significant experience implementing and monitoring quality performance metrics to measure the performance of Information Systems Security Operations.

· Demonstrated ability to communicate well orally and in writing.

· Demonstrated ability to interact with high-level management personnel on a regular basis.

· Demonstrated excellence developing and implementing security architectures for large complex network environments like NGA, Pentagon, etc.

· Significant experience in managing, responding to and resolving crisis situations caused by network attacks.

· Extensive knowledge and understanding of all current DoD and Intelligence community security regulations, directives and policies.

· Knowledge of the Defense in Depth Security Architecture.

· A bachelor's or higher level degree in network security or computer science or its equivalent as well as one or more security certifications (e.g., CISSP).

Experience or knowledge of wireless devices and vulnerabilities

Required Skills:

Must be available to work starting 1 June 2005.

Active TS-SCI clearance required.

Must have certifications in one or more of the following: CISSP, GSEC, GCFW, Cisco, GCIH, GCFA, or GIAC.

Must have applicable hands-on experience with security technologies.

Desired Skills:

Able to work in a team made up of multiple companies and stakeholders.

Too bad I've only got about half the qualifications they're looking for :(
The upside is that it gives me a good framework to build upon and reality-based goals to work towards.

Too bad I've only got about half the qualifications they're looking for :(

It's this one that's holding you back isn't it?
"Demonstrated ability to communicate well orally and in writing."

:)

On a more serious note, if you have the TS-SCI you are the subject of envy. For those of us without clearance that alone seems impossible to get.

Funny thing is the job is still available. And like anything else, the longer its on the market the less stringent they are with who they accept. That said, I still don't have a chance in hell of snagging it due to the years of experience they're looking for (~20), of which I've only got half.

Funny thing is the job is still available. And like anything else, the longer its on the market the less stringent they are with who they accept. That said, I still don't have a chance in hell of snagging it due to the years of experience they're looking for (~20), of which I've only got half.

This sounds like the typical pie in the sky qualifications that I see on many of the postings at work OR it was specifically written for someone, so no one else has the qualifications. It's a way to get around corporate policy's that force you to post positions.

I would still apply!. I suspect it's the pie in the sky job qualifications, or they have filled the position and forgot to take it down, and if it is filled maybe they need another person by now. Either way it shows ambition and other things may pop up because you sought it out.

If it's still on the market, apply. What's the worse they can say? No? Then you'll be right where you started, except taking a chance at an awesome job :)

Looks like you need a government security clearance too? TS-SCI isn't too bad, but running checks for that takes time.

If it's still on the market, apply. What's the worse they can say? No? Then you'll be right where you started, except taking a chance at an awesome job :)

Good point.

Looks like you need a government security clearance too? TS-SCI isn't too bad, but running checks for that takes time.

Trust me, that part isn't a problem.

Military, contractors, and civilian (as in Federal) are the only ways I know of.

If you want to work *for* the NSA, then you need to be a civilian or military. If you want to work *at* the NSA (or any government job for that matter) then military, contractor, and civilian all have their respective opportunities.

Its a DC area job.

Here is the job I just applied for:

Job Description: The candidate hired will perform as Sr. LAN/WAN Network Engineer to develop engineering solutions.

Hired candidates conduct requirement reviews, evaluate network equipment assets, and coordinate with customers as well as with external agencies/groups to ensure that required connectivity can be established from point to point. They provide survey support for both networks and cabling. They develop a Bill of Materials (BOM) for both network equipment and desktop support. They prepare EOs, including actions taken to ensure ISR requirements are met; network connectivity diagrams, IP address space assignments, cabling plans, documentation for circuit connectivity requirement (TSR, TSO information), documented infrastructure changes, and completed ROM/BOMs. Engineers evaluate (regarding project cost and schedule) and respond to change requests from customers, through the GPM and contractor PM.

Duties will encompass developing network designs; coordination of network deployments; defining topology and integration of diverse systems/components; installation and configuring all associated network hardware and software. This support also includes the responsibility for providing analysis and recommendations pertaining to network optimization and enhancements in order to improve performance, increase efficiency, and reduce costs.

Hired candidates will contribute to designing, engineering, documenting, and coordinating recommended changes to the network architecture. They will support the network environment to include management of network system resources; network design and installation; problem analysis; network troubleshooting and network maintenance. In addition, they will incorporate solutions to project needs for secure phones, crypto devices, and network wide problems.

Required Skills:

The ideal candidate must be an effective communicator capable of working with the customer through a geographical separated environment. The candidate must be self-motivated, creative, and able to work in a collaborative environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are desired.

Must have a strong demonstrated working knowledge of:
• Working with Cisco Local and Wide Area Networking technologies supporting a 5000+ user environment.
• Network design and engineering to include routing protocols (OSPF & EIGRP).
• OSI model, SNMP, and RMON
• Configuration and troubleshooting of CISCO routers, switches, VPN, and firewalls.
• Marconi ATM switches.
• At least two advanced technologies such as video teleconferencing, content distribution, server load balancing, IP Telephony, VoIP, QoS and/or WAN Optimization.
• Experience with data circuits and related vendor management.
• Ability to create automation scripts.
• Logical reasoning, troubleshooting and creative problem solving skills.

Applicant must have an active TS/SCI clearance.

Desired Skills:

The candidate should have a working knowledge of NGA's network infrastructure (NTL and Legacy) and hands-on experience with routers, bridges, switches, storage area networks, network security, and network management in a UNIX and Windows 2000 environment.

The ideal candidate would have:
• Cisco Professional Certifications: CCNP & CCSP preferred. Minimum: CCNA
• Demonstrated ability to test and document own work effectively.
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks to timely completion.
• Ability to interpret technical documentation and business communication.

Required Education (including Major): Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems with a strong networking background. Experience in the design, implementation, support, and management of complex LAN and WAN solutions. Experience that encompasses network management and support, integration services, and security audit and design.

Its basically a lateral move for me in terms of pay, but its a change of pace and it gets me back to my bread and butter of network engineering. Currently I do a blend of network and system engineering--In reality only about 40-50% of my work day is networking related. The rest is stuff I have no interest in.

Back