Dreadfully slow Ipad 2 Wi-Fi

Bop

2[H]4U
I recently picked up an iPad 2, but anything that requires decent bandwidth is dreadfully slow! Speedtest shows I'm only getting 1/12th the bandwidth vs my other PC here (which is on Wi-Fi). The iPad is only 6ft away from the router. I tried fiddling with QoS and b/g/n settings to no effect. Disabling security does not improve the speed. My iPhone has no issue over the same network. Any ideas?

106 views and no replies.
The only suggestion I can say is try connecting to another Wi-Fi network and see what your speeds are like. If it picks up then there is a problem either with your router or your connection to your router. If the iPad is consistently slow on any Wi-Fi network, then it's time to visit an Apple store and see a tech.
Not sure if that helps, but tossing an idea out there.

My Ipad 2 has no issues.

Are you on 2.4 or 5? I use the 5 band myself as no one else in the house can connect to it.

Have you tried being further from the router?

Maybe you have a funky router. I've never had even a slight issue getting my ipad 2 to work on any wifi. What router do you have? You shouldn't need to dick around with any QoS stuff or anything else like that. I say take all that out and start over fresh. Update your routers firmware too. What router are you using?

that is odd, especially since your iphone isn't having any issues.

My first suggestion would be to 'forget' your network (under wifi settings) and then to reset your ipads network settings (under settings>general>reset I believe) and trying to reconnect.

If that doesn't help you, I would try it on another network and see if you're still having issues. If you have the problem accross multiple networks, as a last ditch effort, I would try restoring your firmware fresh and trying it again. If all that fails, make a trip out to an apple store. Your device might be damaged and I'd be surprised if they didn't take care of you.

If you just got it, it's possible that it's syncing to iCloud in the background and slowing down performance while you are using it. I can't think of anything else that others haven't already suggested.

I brought the iPad to my apartment which has a D-Link DLG-4500. No luck here either. The router shows that the iPad is connected at around 52Mbps(number is dynamically updated) 802.11n(2.4ghz). 5ghz didn't make much of a difference. Downloading apps and YouTube are extremely slow.

On my 30down/10up Mbps line here speedtest actually shows 23down/2up Mbps, but with 90ms latency(vs 5ms on my desktop). Websites load quickly. Does the iPad connect to a different YouTube/App Store server?

Downloading apps and YouTube are extremely slow.

On my 30down/10up Mbps line here speedtest actually shows 23down/2up Mbps, but with 90ms latency(vs 5ms on my desktop). Websites load quickly. Does the iPad connect to a different YouTube/App Store server?

iPad does do YouTube differently (uses HTML5/h264 video instead of Flash) but it shouldn't drastically affect performance in the way you describe.

There is a Youtube app on the iPad. Sounds like speedtest on your iPad is giving reasonable numbers.

I've been using the app the whole time and I reset the network settings. No luck. I noticed lower quality videos actually load within my lifetime. It seems the iPad forces 720p for some videos and then it seriously takes 20 minutes to load one minute of video.

I've been using the app the whole time and I reset the network settings. No luck. I noticed lower quality videos actually load within my lifetime. It seems the iPad forces 720p for some videos and then it seriously takes 20 minutes to load one minute of video.

iPad can't display higher than 720...cause the screen doesn't support that.

But my iPad doesn't take 20 minutes to load any video. Do you have an apple store where you live? Yours might have some kind of problem.

It probably won't help, but maybe try doing a restore on it? If that doesn't help then for sure there is something wrong with it.

man, I've never had an issue like this, I'd say you've exhausted all your resources to the final extent.... If possible I would take it in to an Apple store and they should probably give you a new one if it's been within 30 days.

man, I've never had an issue like this, I'd say you've exhausted all your resources to the final extent.... If possible I would take it in to an Apple store and they should probably give you a new one if it's been within 30 days.

Oh...as long as it in warranty, and it must be, it should be ok for replacement....as long as they can demonstrate that it doesn't function right. If it is his router that is the problem and it works right on the store, they may not replace it.

I have a problem where my screen got lock in one position and would not rotate. I tried everything I could think of, and so did the folks at the AS. So they just gave me a new one. That was back in November of last year. They claimed that some part had failed (the gyro).

I installed Netflix on this iPad and there doesn't seem to be any issues. I'm beginning to think this is a YouTube app/server issue.

I installed Netflix on this iPad and there doesn't seem to be any issues. I'm beginning to think this is a YouTube app/server issue.

oh, it's only youtube giving you problems? I thought you did a speed test and it was giving you crap speeds?

Anyway, yeah... youtube sucks for me 9/10 times over the past 2-3 years. I started using OpenDNS and that solved the problem for a little while, but it's still painfully slow for me most of the time (ipad, iphone, laptop, desktop... doesn't matter which).

I have a 10MB connection at my house and if I'm using youtube, I'm lucky to be pulling 100kbs. HD content is useless unless it's highly compressed... and even then, it's constantly stopping to buffer. So incredibly annoying.

Most other sites are fine though so I assume it's an issue on googles end.

The ipad 2 will max out to about 20-30Mbps down no matter how fast your connection actually is on wifi.

I've been connected to 100Mb lines before and speedtest doesn't do it justice.

Yes, youtube can suck at times depedning on the video.

Back