DRAM Prices Lowest In 26 Months

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to DigiTimes, DRAM prices have dropped 9%, bringing prices down to a twenty six month low.

DRAM spot prices continue to fall in the second quarter of 2015, with prices for 4Gb DDR3 chips having fallen about 9%, Taiwan's Central News Agency quoted DRAMeXchange as saying in a recent report. Spot prices for 4Gb DDR3 have gone down to US$2.92, the lowest in about 26 months.

Maybe the article means if you shop online only and not at a walk in store. I still see 90 dollar range for 2x4GB DDR3 sticks.

Maybe the article means if you shop online only and not at a walk in store. I still see 90 dollar range for 2x4GB DDR3 sticks.

You're going to the wrong stores lol.

Microcenter and Frys both have insane deals for DDR3.

Microcenter for example has EVGA 16GB DDR3-2400 for $109.99, prior to that it was on sale for $99.99 :D

you're right.

ram is no longer at fuck you levels of price.

save up those receipts boys.

smell another collusion lawsuit.

Nah, this will be the last dip in prices caused by high supply and high demand, since DDR4 is now coming online. After this dip comes high prices due low supply even while the demand decreases - or possibly even increases a bit as obsoleted DDR3 systems get their final upgrades in the process of being sold or hand-me-downed. Saw the same thing happen with DDR2 vs DDR3.

Must be about time for another fire at the epoxy factory.

Still rocking my 16GB Corsair DDR3s that I got for about $70, including shipping. Thankfully I purchased them about a week before the main plant went under and prices skyrocketed!

Still rocking my 16GB Corsair DDR3s that I got for about $70, including shipping. Thankfully I purchased them about a week before the main plant went under and prices skyrocketed!

Me too, funny story. I then sold my old RAM I was replacing on eBay for literally double what I'd bought the new RAM for just a few months before.

I'm a little behind on such things. Is DDR4 worth the cost, or is it just as well to stick with DDR3 ?

I see 16G Crucial laptop kit for $98, last time it was close to this was 2013 at $94 for the same kit, has been $105 - $110 for the last few months.

as i am rocking 32gb in my 1150 pc there is no where for me to go.

I've never seen such a pathetic technology shift in RAM.

DDR4 has absolutely nothing going for it in performance over DDR3. Even many months after release we aren't even close to parity in performance yet.

A solid yet still relatively inexpensive 2x8GB DDR3 2400 kit such as the Trident X is frequently on sale for around $125.

A 2x8GB kit of DDR4 2400 (Mushkin in this case) at CL15 ?!?! is $175.

It's $50 more and a metric crap ton slower.

If you are willing to spend a small fortune you can get close-ish with a 4x4GB kit of DDR4 2400 CL12 for $270.

What a joke.

All I can say is, what type of memory will the 100 chipset Skylake boards use? Can we keep our DDR3 please?

I don't see ddr4 picking up like 3 did. There's no cpu's out there worth upgrading to. If you're a gamer, or just an internet surfer or movie watcher.... CPU's are pretty much stagnate..... So as for a new gen memory it doesn't appeal to many people. Last gen is when the core i5 and i7's launched and quad cores became more mainstream. This gen it's pretty much the same.....

You're going to the wrong stores lol.

Microcenter and Frys both have insane deals for DDR3.

Microcenter for example has EVGA 16GB DDR3-2400 for $109.99, prior to that it was on sale for $99.99 :D

I picked up an 8GB stick for $34.99 a little over 2 years ago. Prices still have a fair way to go before they're back to where they should be.

I picked up an 8GB stick for $34.99 a little over 2 years ago. Prices still have a fair way to go before they're back to where they should be.

Bought 32GB DDR3 1866 for $99 from Newegg back in December 2012.

I can tell everyone here as a matter of fact that prices, at least on DDR4 have just recently risen about 25%. I know this because I've been actively buying DDR4 for a handful of computers over the last 4+ months for clients.

I assume this is because of Broadwell and Skylake

Now is the time to buy up all those top of the range DDR3 kits and then sell them for more than double on Ebay in two years time when supply drops off due to more mainstream DDR4.

I made a killing on top of the range DDR2 kits when they dropped real real cheap several years ago.

I don't see ddr4 picking up like 3 did. There's no cpu's out there worth upgrading to. If you're a gamer, or just an internet surfer or movie watcher.... CPU's are pretty much stagnate..... So as for a new gen memory it doesn't appeal to many people. Last gen is when the core i5 and i7's launched and quad cores became more mainstream. This gen it's pretty much the same.....

I think 6-8 cores CPU would be more desirable once games starts using DX12, as it would improve in multi threading and we should see 6-8 cores CPU pulling ahead of quad cores CPU. Assuming dev starts taking advantage of this improvement, which I think they should as even the consoles have 8 cores.

I'm a little behind on such things. Is DDR4 worth the cost, or is it just as well to stick with DDR3 ?

You do not have a choice. I mean the only way to use DDR4 is to move to the X99 platform that only supports DDR4.

I think 6-8 cores CPU would be more desirable once games starts using DX12, as it would improve in multi threading and we should see 6-8 cores CPU pulling ahead of quad cores CPU. Assuming dev starts taking advantage of this improvement, which I think they should as even the consoles have 8 cores.

Isn't the whole purpose of directx12 to put more on the gpu and less on the cpu?

That will happen after the consumer chips move to 6-8 cores. As long as it's just "extreme edition" we're not going to see that. No dev in the world is going to target workstation processors for their games.

I'd rather Intel/AMD move to 3/6/9/12 core designs.

Seems more flexible to me.

2-4 years, at best. The dev window on the games that have the budget to use these techs means it will be 2-4 years until we really see DX12 games take advantage.

Isn't the whole purpose of directx12 to put more on the gpu and less on the cpu?
In terms of APU overhead, yes. But it also improves on multi threading, which then allows the game to do more stuff. I'm no expert to explain how it works technically, but there was some demo where they compare the number of draw calls between single threaded DX11 and multi threaded in DX12, and there was huge improvements in draw calls per sec from low end GPU to high end GPU.

That will happen after the consumer chips move to 6-8 cores. As long as it's just "extreme edition" we're not going to see that. No dev in the world is going to target workstation processors for their games.

To be honest, few dev would target PC hardware. But the reason why I think dev would begin to utilize more cores is because of the consoles. Although they have a weak CPU, they come in 8 cores on the console, and so I'd imagine one way of gaining more performance would be to utilize all available cores.

I payed $79.99 for a 2x4gb kit of DDR3 last summer, now it's going for $54.99 on Amazon. Bit of a bummer, but it's really whatever at this point.

I remember paying less than $90 for 6x4GB (24GB) DDR3-1600. Sad to see the same amount and speed go for over twice what I paid for today, and for that to be considered a steal.

I know it felt good purchasing my 16gb 8x2 of ddr3 1866 of Kingston HyperX Fury for $119 on amazon prime earlier this year and a 32g kit is looking very tempting with these prices

I know it felt good purchasing my 16gb 8x2 of ddr3 1866 of Kingston HyperX Fury for $119 on amazon prime earlier this year and a 32g kit is looking very tempting with these prices
I recently bought the same 16GB 8x2 kit for $109 from Newegg. Now I see a G.Skill 16GB 8x2 kit going for $94. How low will it go? :)

Back