DRAM Manufacturers Slapped with Lawsuit over Supply Collusion, Price Gouging

We did a gigantic forklift with our data center and purchased ~6TB of RAM for our hosts. I wonder how much we might be eligible for as this rolls along.

qmAWXcb.png

Reactions: dgz
like this
I don't know what do you mean by that. That it would not occur in a free market, or that a few producers are not the free market? If the first then explain why. If the second well duh, but that's not a point.

BTW I'm not sure what even the proponents of a free market mean by it. Because a market with regulation is not a free market.

You cannot be serious.

geee, what a surprise. I hope they look into nVida as well

You cannot be serious.
Congratulations, you used words to say exactly nothing. I'm dead serious, I want to know what you think, and what did you mean by:

A monopoly, or price fixing by a few producers is NOT a Free Market.

I mean I can understand the words, but I have no clue about your political and economic background, and this statement hinges on your background, because you can be suggesting any number of things. Believe me, I've heard the versions I offered in my previous post uttered to me so don't look so perplexed, those aren't my views, I was just guessing what you were trying to say.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you used words to say exactly nothing. I'm dead serious, I want to know what you think, and what did you mean by:

I mean I can understand the words, but I have no clue about your political and economic background, and this statement hinges on your background, because you can be suggesting any number of things. Believe me, I've heard the versions I offered in my previous post uttered to me so don't look so perplexed, those aren't my views, I was just guessing what you were trying to say.

Okay, but not in this Dram thread.

didn't they make some excuse about shifting production to nand flash, so maybe the dram output was affected as a result ?
whatever bullshit. The last time I bought ram was a 4gb stick of ddr3 for $5 years ago.
Haven't needed to buy ram ever since, as my laptop came with 16gb.

The price of RAM affects the price of the laptop. I bought mine a year ago and it was just before the refresh out of existing stock. The current version of that laptop has half the ram a lsightly better video card, and everything else is basically the same. It's $300 more.

I paid $300 for 32GB of good, fast DDR4 a year and change ago. I can't find the same RAM anywhere for less than $550 now.

I've been kind of ignoring this because I built my rig before this steady increase hit. This thread went and made me check newegg. I paid $174 for my 32GB PC32000 kit (4x8gb) and I thought it was pricey because DDR3 was still occupying a decent chunk of the market for cheap. It's now $458 for the exact same stuff. Dayum.

But the free market will just fix itself if we didn't interfere, right?

Yeah it fixes itself alright, or at least the prices!

I understand where are you heading, you are thinking about a textbook perfect competition. But you should remember the conditions for a perfect competitive market:

1) infinite amount of suppliers (which doesn't happen in reality)

2) Given point N°1, none of the suppliers can have influence over the price and all of them are price-acceptants ( which doesn't happen in reality)

3) Homogeneous goods, all suppliers deliver the exactly same good and there's no product differentiation whatsoever (which doesn't happen in reality)

4) Perfect information, everybody knows the cost, specs, conditions, fabrication, etc; of the goods (doesn't happen in reality).

The market won't fix itself to perfect competitive prices if the conditions mentioned are not present. That's why you have market failures, such as monopolies, market power, collusions, predatory pricing, etc. As long as the market is not perfect and predictable, there needs to be a regulator who sets the limits.

Have a good day :)

I understand where are you heading, you are thinking about a textbook perfect competition. But you should remember the conditions for a perfect competitive market:
I was heading for a tongue and cheek joke at the expense of advocates of a totally free market.

I was heading for a tongue and cheek joke at the expense of advocates of a totally free market.

Damn, minutes of writing lost :(
Anybody who thinks totally free market is the answer have no clue about economics and/or history.

without a mole sammy and his buddies will gleefully continue to bend us over. last time micron was sloppy and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. do you honestly think they will make the same mistake twice?

Steal proprietary info, use it in your products, then get an injunction against the company you stole it from so they cant sell what you copied. What a serious dick move

Yep. Welcome to government controlled means of production where only the biggest donors get to play. And play dirty.

Back