DRAM Industry Likely to Face Oversupply in 2019

The analysts all said that DRAM prices would collapse in 2018. Whoops.

So the DRAM mfg's will ramp production to the point that they crush their margins? Why would they do that? Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron (over 95% of DRAM production) have all been on record each quarter for over a year stating that they are not trying to gain market share, they're focusing on profitability, and that they're only building out capacity to maintain wafer starts per month/keep up with demand increases. Node transitions now yield very little bit growth compared to past transitions and they are more expensive. Samsung delayed expansion and node migration this year, so how does that translate to expanding production to take back market share share and overcapacity.

Reactions: ~CS~
like this
Not sure of the reason behind the Rutger Hauer / Blade Runner reference, but it's cool all the same.

Hah fair question. It's more the 'oh really' Rutger look when he finds something interesting out.

I took it as:

Limited lifespan (Roy Batty being a dying replicant in Blade Runner)
Poor quality (Batty lasting only about 3 years)

Maybe I'm reading too much into that reference :p

I took it as:

Limited lifespan (Roy Batty being a dying replicant in Blade Runner)
Poor quality (Batty lasting only about 3 years)

Maybe I'm reading too much into that reference :p
I'll be more careful posting Rutger in future, was merely a reaction face haha.
My old English teacher would've loved you!

When 32mb of RAM costs twice as much as the CPU, that's a problem. I'm looking forward to this as well. There has been a nice drop in SSD prices and GPU's have leveled off, RAM is the only thing still really high.
Jesus!!
Where are you pricing your current ram?
Yeah, I get it, you meant 32GB. :)

I don't see an "issue" with over supply. Hopefully we see dramatically lower cost and I can get it on it before there is another Earthquake.

Back