DRAM $310 Million Settlement

Between 1998 and 2002? Wasn't that the period where RAM was coming down in price? I for sure didn't think RAM prices were high during that time compared to what they were only a few years prior.

If we were talking about 2013/2014, sure, go for it.

That class action suit is not scheduled to begin litigation until the 30's. Get in line. :p
The previous settlement, from 2007, took almost exactly 2 years, from the time of filing until the check arrived. Apparently that was only a partial settlement, according to the 2/23/2007 e-mail:

"An Important Notice from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California About Partial Class Action Settlements Involving Dynamic Random Access Memory (“DRAM”)"

I paid a stupid price of around $150 for Crucial DDR2 2GB but this was around 2007.

I doubt many have kept a receipt between 98-02 and the minimum is $10.

Saw that a week or so ago, filed. 1998-2002: collegedormlanpartycomputershow heyday.

i did not read this.. at all. filled it out blindly with absurd numbers of everything, 15 years worth of crap i've bought. just read the whole 1998-2002 bit. oops.

Documentation? Yeah right, looong gone... I wish I could find the receipts for the VCM memory I bought just to see how much I paid for that crap..... or the RDRAM.... I think I still have my GeForce SDR card kicking around somewhere....

I doubt many have kept a receipt between 98-02
I still have the receipt for this 32MB memory module bought in 1998:

JQgPaCb.jpg

Motorola 32Mb x 1 data chips, Texas Instruments 4M x 1 ECC chips, double sided.

i did not read this.. at all. filled it out blindly with absurd numbers of everything, 15 years worth of crap i've bought. just read the whole 1998-2002 bit. oops.

So...you just admitted to committing fraud?

Last edited:
I still have the receipt for this 32MB memory module bought in 1998:

JQgPaCb.jpg

Motorola 32Mb x 1 data chips, Texas Instruments 4M x 1 ECC chips, double sided.

Dang, that's a lot. My 3dfx card from around that same era had like 4MB.

This suit isn't just for computer ram
If you had any form of electronic that used ram: "DRAM was included in many different types of digital devices, including computers (laptops and desktops), servers, graphics cards, video game consoles, MP3 players, printers, PDA’s, DVD players, Digital Video Recorders, Point of Sale Systems and others."

You bet I signed up that was a time when I was buying up electronics and swapping computers left and right. Do I have receipts NO. Are they going to check the smaller amount people for receipts. Extremely unlikely. They are only going to ask the larger order people for receipts yes but I doubt those types of people even have them anymore. 7 years is all you are supposed to keep records of this type. pay stubs, bank statements, etc 10 years. To keep a receipt this long...........

Can I file a claim for my Playstation :)

According to the website, yes

"You qualify for money if you bought DRAM or products containing DRAM (computers, printers, video game consoles or other electronic devices) between 1998 and 2002. No documentation is required to file a claim."

A claim where I don't have to provide proof of purchase, you bet your ass I did.

So, I was just thinking about this:

8-12 RAM modules (I'll claim 8)
and...
TnT2
2x Voodoo2 12MB
Rendition Verite 2200
Voodoo Rush 6MB
GeForce2
GeForce4

8 RAM modules and 7 graphics cards. I'll probably get about $1.12

Last edited:
So how much was it? And how much were taxes on it?

I bought a 32 MB Kingston FPM SIMM in 1999 for my old Mac LCIII at the time and it was $70. With tax it was like $75.77. I still have it around here somewhere in a box with a pile of other 72 and 30 pin SIMMs that I keep around for really old computers that need RAM.

So, I was just thinking about this:

2x Voodoo2 12GB

Damn, I didn't know they made Voodoo2s with 12GB of VRAM.

Never get into a class action lawsuit. You lose all
around. Companies will make that loss up, but do
you know who really wins? Lawyers. They are the
ones that get millions of dollars off it, while you might
get 10 dollars and some higher dram prices on
down the line to make up for the loss. Just who wins
again?

Back