Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PC

I crafted the lantern into something else and did not realize the others were in storage. Besides, even with the lantern you can't see shit enough to explore, so it is somewhat disconcerting.

I crafted the lantern into something else and did not realize the others were in storage. Besides, even with the lantern you can't see shit enough to explore, so it is somewhat disconcerting.

The lantern adds suspense to the game like the flashlight in Doom 3 did. Also in real life oil lanterns are pretty dim. They are pretty spooky when the electric grid goes down here in the country. As you peek through your neighbor's windows, as you slowly creep down the road, there are these eerie dim lights with ghost like shadows flowing from room to room. Even better is to surprise someone sightseeing your lack of electricity by suddenly lighting the lantern while standing in your driveway. They usually freak out and take off fast as hell.

Yep. I like the actual dark dungeons and night time in the game. The absurdly bright night time conditions of certain other open world RPGS might make gameplay easier, but it sure takes something intangible away.

Yep. I like the actual dark dungeons and night time in the game. The absurdly bright night time conditions of certain other open world RPGS might make gameplay easier, but it sure takes something intangible away.

Absurdly bright? Well... that's relative... when it summer the sun doesn't even set here in Finland (in Northern-Finland) and even in Southern-Finland nights aren't dark. It depends on what they are trying to simulate. In my case dark summer nights aren't realistic at all - in fact those are completely unrealistic.

Absurdly bright? Well... that's relative... when it summer the sun doesn't even set here in Finland (in Northern-Finland) and even in Southern-Finland nights aren't dark. It depends on what they are trying to simulate. In my case dark summer nights aren't realistic at all - in fact those are completely unrealistic.

In many rpgs the night time isn't really "night" but simply more a blue light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCXDOWzUqo

Here's a quick video I could find of someone walking in the woods at night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEAJyYfqiw

Huuuge difference compared to most games.

I don't live in Finland but here nights are DARK, you got out at like 2-3 am and you aren't seeing jack squat without some light source.

Yes when it's a full moon or certain times it can be lighter, but that's more of an exception and not the average.

I like that night-time is actually pitch black...too many games cop out and are afraid to make things too dark...watch a dark movie like Alien on a good plasma or OLED and you'll be in awe...also makes the contrast between the whitest whites and the darkest blacks more pronounced which is a good thing

The problem I see is that day/night is 50/50, and days are fairly short which means you get put into night a lot. And you just can't see shit meaning you can't explore. Which while cool, lemme just teleport and pay the 50 gold. It would have worked better if there was more of a twilight period and the "dark" period only lasted 1/4 the day.

I agree with you jiminator.. I'm all for a realistic and challenging night, but make it shorter than day so that it doesn't get in the way of exploring too much.

The problem I see is that day/night is 50/50, and days are fairly short which means you get put into night a lot. And you just can't see shit meaning you can't explore. Which while cool, lemme just teleport and pay the 50 gold. It would have worked better if there was more of a twilight period and the "dark" period only lasted 1/4 the day.

I think that they are giving players an incentive to rest in an inn so that their Pawns can be updated to the cloud. Saves don't update your Pawn's gear and stats in the rift. You actually have to use the rest function for your changes to be broadcast to the world. By making the night cycle challenging with much more sinister enemies that heal for example, it makes sense to spend the few gold pieces and rest until morning. Thus making sure that players use the Pawn rift system as intended. It makes sense to just pay the 300 gold to rest also as my Normal mode character has over $100,000 gold.

That's my take on it. :)

Everyone knows to turn Online on to get better Pawns to adventure with? If you leave Online mode off you'll just have run of the mill Pawns in the rift to play with. Some people in the game have decked their Pawns out with level 3 enchanted gear. You will be able to choose from them if you have Online mode enabled.

Someone has a level 55 tank in my Rift. I keep ignoring it. M-u-s-t re-sis-t the u-r-g-e to cho-ose it.....

I don't live in Finland but here nights are DARK, you got out at like 2-3 am and you aren't seeing jack squat without some light source.

Yes when it's a full moon or certain times it can be lighter, but that's more of an exception and not the average.

Here's one example how it looks like (that's north):
https://youtu.be/cl9qK8DXVf8?t=6s
That's not the worst case scenario either.

When it's winter things are exactly the opposite - in Northern-Finland the sun doesn't even rise.

By the way... They did make nights darker in EU/NA version of Black Desert.
dark-night-comparisonvzq0y.jpg

Personally I don't really care that much, either way it's not an immersion breaker for me.

Original Everquest, beta and shortly after release, night time was near pitch black. I remember wisp stones were a hot commodity but offered only a couple feet of light.

Original Everquest, beta and shortly after release, night time was near pitch black. I remember wisp stones were a hot commodity but offered only a couple feet of light.

lol I got so lost when I first started playing that, near the Gnoll cave area.....sigh lost my corpse never could get back to it.

Dragon's Dogma on PC- Digital Foundry's verdict on the PC version of Capcom's RPG

Dragon Dogma: Dark Arisen and Capcom deliver a largely excellent conversion that fits the bill as a full-on HD remaster...Rather than seeing a straightforward port, Capcom has taken the time improve much of the game's texture work, along with reducing the aggressiveness of the level of detail (LOD) set-up, resulting in a more refined presentation that manages to hold up in 2016...Of course, resolution plays a large part in providing a substantial leap in graphical quality over the 720p console releases, and on PC making the jump to native 1080p and higher with decent quality anti-aliasing delivers a substantial increase in sharpness and clarity across the game's medieval-styled visuals...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-dragons-dogma-pc-face-off

level 42, went to bitterback island. you know it is a problem when you see a reaper boss with about 8 dots who proceeds to oneshot you. lol. I love this game. Has some flaws but it does a lot of things really well.

anyone else feel sad when your pawn dies? also.... does anybody bother with the ungodly number of healing items? I just load everyone with some health restoration items and hell with everything else....

Actually I am level 50 and haven't had a pawn die yet except when they killed themselves by falling off a narrow wooden bridge into the water. I always have to quit then reload when that happens. I saw the reaper also when I first visited bitterback, but I didn't face it, I ran away. with 8 dots I knew there was no chance of beating it lol. I ran and spammed the come here command for the pawns who were actually about to engage it. It looks to be a random encounter though cause it wasn't there again when I went back. Did some exploration and found:
A chained up giant cyclops. The thing was massive like 3x the size of the normal ones. I started blasting it with spells and I think I was level 44 at the time but I was doing very little damage and I tried every type of spell. Good thing it didn't break free. If it did, I don't see a way to defeat it in such an enclosed area. I mean with it's club it can hit basically any spot in the area cause it's so dam huge.

As far as healing I give some items to the pawns, but I generally hold the rest of the items. If you don't have someone who can cast High Halidon I think you might run into issues. The poison, blindness and topor stuff really is a huge problem if it hits anyone in the party. Blindness especially for the melee pawns.

BTW is there a way to force a pawn to use an item or use an item on a pawn? Right now if I give them the item, they will use it as needed, but when I know I am coming up to an area where a major battle is coming, I'd rather they start at 100% health, but so far only the "affects group" potions can do it, but if only one pawn needs to be healed it's a waste to use a group potion.

level 42, went to bitterback island. you know it is a problem when you see a reaper boss with about 8 dots who proceeds to oneshot you. lol. I love this game. Has some flaws but it does a lot of things really well.

anyone else feel sad when your pawn dies? also.... does anybody bother with the ungodly number of healing items? I just load everyone with some health restoration items and hell with everything else....

I'm only 32, and recently rerolled to one of the advanced classes with a bow, daggers, and staff. Forget what it's called. Anyways I use the bow to shoot apples off trees. My pawn runs over and scoops up every apple that drops before it can roll one foot. She's my healer and eats apples like a champ while fighting mobs.

I don't know if that will work for a level 42 as I'm sure that your health pool is a lot higher. But it is cheap and fast for me. The pawns that I hire never pick up consumables. I have to give them stuff to eat and they are content to stay below 50% health the entire time we're running around killing things. Very odd.

Nope, the health items are fine, no issues there. just so many "status effect" items to combat silence, blindness, cursing, sleeping, petrification. A bit silly in some ways. Armor with resistances helps. Only thing is that good shit (for anything) appears to be fairly rare. Doesn't help that you can't compare stats very well in a shop.

Capcom has released a small patch for Dragon’s Dogma which fixes a few of the persistent issues with the otherwise excellent PC version...Among the listed fixes is a change to the way lanterns were bound to the hotkeys introduced by the PC version...Previously, when a lantern became half-full or empty it would then be registered by the game as a different inventory item (which makes some sense, but wasn’t practical when you just want to pop the lantern out on your designated hotkey)...Now, the lantern will stay on your selected hotkey, even when it goes half-full

Capcom say they are still looking into what may be causing crackling or distorted audio for some people who use 5.1/7.1 set-ups, but the game’s generally quiet audio levels are said to have been boosted-- “Adjusted audio levels – addressed the ‘audio too low’ issue some users encountered”...

http://steamcommunity.com/games/367500/announcements/detail/711934997248161798

Well damn

I started the game in hard mode and managed to deliver the snake head but was stuck at one ambush were everything 2 hits you, decided to switch to normal and now it seems way too easy.

Nope, the health items are fine, no issues there. just so many "status effect" items to combat silence, blindness, cursing, sleeping, petrification. A bit silly in some ways. Armor with resistances helps. Only thing is that good shit (for anything) appears to be fairly rare. Doesn't help that you can't compare stats very well in a shop.

My healer can remove most of those I think. Also there are a ton of pots you can make that removes the effects also. Honestly since I play on Normal, I don't bother making those other than to learn a new recipe and then bank them. If the bandits didn't rectal probe you at the start, I would have played on Hard.

Some guy must really love my pawn. She came back with 6,000 RC points yesterday. I keep receiving messages about how helpful she is as a support. Of course when I play with her I'm screaming "Heal me b*tch!" and spamming F3 the entire time. I thought she was terrible honestly. Then again I've tried playing with other people's pawns and some just leave much to be desired.

thread is pretty quiet...so now that the game has been out for awhile what are people's impressions (particularly those who never played the game before)...I'm still planning on getting this, just been busy with other stuff

thread is pretty quiet...so now that the game has been out for awhile what are people's impressions (particularly those who never played the game before)...I'm still planning on getting this, just been busy with other stuff

Combat is really fun, game definitely looks outdated but it's playable. Save OFTEN! Still need a few more hours for a full decision.

it becomes fairly easy after a while. but then major game events and the game becomes somewhat difficult again. I am enjoying the hell out of it. There is a crafting overload and the inventory is also somewhat of a mess, but I have not had to use it much, aside from making a few health & stamina potions. In other words it is not essential. The game itself is refreshingly different in a lot of ways. You can easily fuck up quests and not know about it. But then there is a NG+ mode in which everything carries over and you can retry there. The game will autosave at a lot of plot points, but it is easy to fuck up and die, possibly blowing lots of progress. If the game is too hard, then you can get a couple of pawns from the void. Higher levels "cost" rift crystals, but steam friends are free. Add "jiminator" and you can borrow mine. You can gift most things between pawns, and there is a forging facility which can have interesting results.

I am very happy and pleased with the game. It is a very solid release and gets to be more satisfying in NG+. They did a really good job with it and I hope to see much more from them.

I'm actually not all that impressed myself. The enemies seem to be hella damage spongey, on hard and normal mode that I just don't feel like playing. It's too bad too. I was pretty hyped for this game.

that complaint is not really valid. each enemy in the regular game has specific weaknesses that can be exploited, if you and/or your pawns have the knowledge. you can kill anything fairly fast. In addition the augmentations will stack across different classes, so they all really need to be played and maxed out to get the options. It can be a bit grindy building up a proper character and complimentary pawn but that is the way the game works. It that is too much effort then yeah, the monsters are damage sponges.

that complaint is not really valid. each enemy in the regular game has specific weaknesses that can be exploited, if you and/or your pawns have the knowledge. you can kill anything fairly fast. In addition the augmentations will stack across different classes, so they all really need to be played and maxed out to get the options. It can be a bit grindy building up a proper character and complimentary pawn but that is the way the game works. It that is too much effort then yeah, the monsters are damage sponges.

This 1000x! If you use the inns to rest, your pawn may see action in other worlds. They will learn how to deal with all types of enemies fairly quickly. When you log back in and fight an enemy, they will announce the proper strategy to use and own the enemies.

For example the first time that I fought a Chimera it took me an hour to kill it I bet. I was chugging stamina and health pots for days. My pawn learned what to do fairly quickly after that. The next Chimera I saw I was about to run to keep from redoing the long fight. My pawn told me to climb on the Chimera to hold it. I was like WTF, but I did it. Then she was like I'm going to use spells to attack the head first. We destroyed it in no time flat.

Nowadays Chimeras die in less than 2 minutes. Ogres last seconds sometimes. I don't even get to climb some of them before they are dead. As you said you need to unlock your skills for you and your pawn so that you can synergize strategies to destroy enemies in no time flat.

Also I want to add that a lot of the passives are relevant to multiple classes. My fighter passive gave me the ability to carry extra stuff which is a godsend in a game about collecting artifacts. I then rerolled to the advanced magic bow / dagger class. I then unlocked a passive where it costs me 1/2 stamina to climb an enemy. I LOVE that passive!

My pawn is a 2hnd warrior tank. I added some of her Mage class passives so that she takes less damage from magic attacks. She is one helluva tank now!

The sickest thing was when I hired a Sorcerer. That Sorc was so darn powerful it darn near one shot Chimeras. I was a sad puppy when I outleveled it.

Another time a tank I hired that for some reason ran over and started using my magic cannon to kill enemies. I miss that pawn so much. It was such a great tank!

I like this game a whole lot more than I thought. I can't believe I am still playing it (level 99). The biggest thing about this game is the pawns have to learn how to deal with the enemies or they basically suck. Right now I can't find any pawns capable of helping me try to slay Death. I see him I can survive, but my party basically gets wiped out every time before he runs away. Levels will get you to a point where you can do more damage to the things appropriately but even then if you don't know how to kill something it makes it real difficult. There are several enemies that negate all magic damage, there are others that negate all physical damage. Some similar types of creatures need to be handled differently like chimera vs gorechimera.

The only real thing I dislike is the severe lack of commands for the pawns. For example if I can't tell them to use mainly ranged attacks now or get close or spread out. It makes some fights unnecessarily harder than they should be especially when facing something new. For example with the death fight I really need a command to "distance yourselves from target", but all you have is a "come here" command which ends up wiping out anyone on the opposite side of the enemy. But even with that flaw I still love the game, interestingly I like this game at least as much or maybe even more than the Dark Souls series.

There are pawn inclinations that can help with that. I think maybe challenger being the main one, utilitarian after, or switch them. With potions you would buy 2 challenger & 1 utilitarian and drink them in the same order. Then look for pawns with the same inclinations. Kind of a pain but it may be better than going in random. I have not even touched the DLC content much, aside from getting the first key and ignoring that boss. Well one broke him free, got one dot down, then the club ended all that. :)

There are tons of buffs. If not using them... then that may be the issue also.

Actually the inclinations + skill combos are a real pain to filter through. You often find a pawns with the right skills with the worse inclinations or vise versa.

I think the issue is really Death itself. It has a limited move set so it's easy to see what is about to happen and avoid it. Problem is one move is insta kill and for pawns it's a death that sends them back to the riff immediately if it makes contact. So that gore cyclops you met is not the hardest thing on BBI. ;)

welp, people have done plenty of new game solo runs through BBI content, I think 45 minutes is the latest. There are only a few mandatory bosses, they can be taken down with bombs. About 150 to do the whole thing.

Yeah true, I just want to beat him, I don't have to. :) I get a little closer every fight like the UR-Dragon but it's taking a lot of encounters and he is only one bubble and a half down lol. I blame the pawns when they die because every extra bit of damage helps and they often get caught in the attack.

Well, I have not messed with ur-dragon much, aside to see that he is there. there is an offline mode though in which he can be killed (much less hitpoints), although not the same drops. you can exit and it saves the damage. They say if you can't kill it you are going to have a hard time with the online boss.

I had a great fight with the online UR-Dragon last night. I needed a break so I went. I fought it till he ran away and my whole team survived. The first time I fought it I was like level 60 something and my team survived, but I ran after it hit us the first time. It nearly one shot killed the team on the first move. :) This time I did some decent damage, probably because my team was experienced from farming the cursed dragon in BBI. I haven't tried the offline UR-Dragon.

Ur-Dragon??...don't they have cool boss names in this game like in the Dark Souls series? :p

Back