Dragon Quest VII Sells 800k Copies in One Weekend

If I was maybe 12 I would be excited about a game like that, but WOW!!! I'm glad Western style RPG's have taken over. :D

I like the old school SNES style RPG's. Todays games have little to no challenge and pratically give you everything.

Would love to see the old Square games on the PC. I've got my DS so hopefully this will come out for that.

I played 90% of DQ7 - about 110 hours - but never got around to beating the last boss (got sidetracked by school or something). I still have the save from my PS1 memory card on my PS3.

DQ7 was one of the few games that actually had better graphics enable-able if you turned up the special graphics settings on the PS2. It was the only game I played on the PS2 except Tekken Tag for about a year after we got it.

DQ7 is probably not the best DQ by a long shot - but in portable form it would be awesome. Looking forward to it.

Dragon Quest is a system seller for me. I'll buy a 3DS whenever they release this here in the U.S.

DQ games never got bogged down by angsty teenager protagonists, flashy 1-2 minute long summons and excessive cut scenese like a certain other series that has gone downhill since around #6 or so. Typically you're in and out of a DQ battle almost faster than it takes for a FF7 battle to load up. :) OK, maybe not that fast, but it's close.

I love(d) the DQ/DW series of games, except this one... I don't know what it was but it gave me a fucking headache to play the game. Quasi-3d but all the characters are flat... I dunno what it was but yikes. Dragon Quest 8 was fun though, although I dislike the animation style... the whole Dragon Ball Z look just doesn't work for me.

I really wish I was younger, will less shit to do, I just can not get into these games anymore, I don't have all day to blow off playing them, and usually put them down for weeks at a time then not have any idea what the fuck I was doing when I came back. I do dig the DQM games though, it's what Pokemon games should have been like :D

Just got a 3DS this december. (The XL bundle with Mario Kart for 149.99 @ best buy was a steal.)

I think now is a great time to buy the 3DS. So many awesome DS games and 3DS games. I'm playing Kid Icarus right now and having a blast with it. Kid icarus is awesome; it's the real deal. I also have Paper Mario for it. Can't wait to try that one since I loved the gamecube paper mario.

They need to step it up and redo Chrono Trigger!

Only if they re-did all the in-game artwork and graphics with high-resolution 2D artwork. And maybe recomposed the music with a full-on orchestra. But otherwise, I say please leave it the fuck alone.

They need to step it up and redo Chrono Trigger!

I think they would just fuck it up if they did a remake of Chrono Trigger. That game is already so good, I don't really see how it could be improved upon, even with modern technology.

Apparently this is how they do a remake these days;

-Take the original 320x240 PS1 graphics and upcale to 640x480
-Run in a "pretty" letterbox that used about a quarter of the screen.

Its a complete overhaul in graphics and presentation. the PS1 game didn't even have 3d characters:

dragon-quest-vii-playstation-ps1-004.jpg

8725.dragon-quest-vii-warriors.420.315.4.53325.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

oh, and the letterbox is just something they used for DS/3DS youtube trailers. They do that to try and approximate what it would look like to actually be viewing it on the appropriate device. Playing it on a 3DS does not have the letterboxing.

Its a complete overhaul in graphics and presentation. the PS1 game didn't even have 3d characters:

oh, and the letterbox is just something they used for DS/3DS youtube trailers. They do that to try and approximate what it would look like to actually be viewing it on the appropriate device. Playing it on a 3DS does not have the letterboxing.

Man, I've been eating a lot of crow today...

Dragon Quest games are fun IMO... not so much story or graphic-wise (althought it's sometimes funny) but the gameplay is nice for that old-school rpg nostalgia feel. DQ9 was the last RPG I really got into.... played through it twice actually, probably 200 hours total... *yikes*... never played a game that long before, maybe 80 hours is my second most played game...

Man, I've been eating a lot of crow today...

We all make mistakes.

Dq7 was my favorite, I'm going to have to get this.

Over thing about these olaf school rpg games was that they weren't hard but they did so much better at engrossing you into the game. Newer games don't do a good job of that and instead concentrate on making the content hard.

We all make mistakes.

Dq7 was my favorite, I'm going to have to get this.

Over thing about these olaf school rpg games was that they weren't hard but they did so much better at engrossing you into the game. Newer games don't do a good job of that and instead concentrate on making the content hard.
Old school, damn swype!

Hmm, nowonly if they would stop being stubborn and do a full remake with this gen or next gen graphics for ff7!

Just imagine what'd happen if they released a full remake of Final Fantasy VI or VII. Fanboys the world round would line up with their money in hand singing hosannas to their Square Enix overlords...

I'd be one of them.

Just imagine what'd happen if they released a full remake of Final Fantasy VI or VII. Fanboys the world round would line up with their money in hand singing hosannas to their Square Enix overlords...

I'd be one of them.

And I would be right behind you, with todays world of JRPGs :(

Maybe we'll get a little something to be happy about on Wednesday.

I love(d) the DQ/DW series of games, except this one... I don't know what it was but it gave me a fucking headache to play the game. Quasi-3d but all the characters are flat... I dunno what it was but yikes. Dragon Quest 8 was fun though, although I dislike the animation style... the whole Dragon Ball Z look just doesn't work for me.

I really wish I was younger, will less shit to do, I just can not get into these games anymore, I don't have all day to blow off playing them, and usually put them down for weeks at a time then not have any idea what the fuck I was doing when I came back. I do dig the DQM games though, it's what Pokemon games should have been like :D

Akira Toriyama has ALWAYS done the character designs for the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior games. The "DBZ look" is kind of intentional.

The Dragon Quest Monsters games have been a hit or miss proposition for me. They had some great ideas,and DQM Joker was pretty well done, but I generally prefer the Pokemon series of games for that kind of gameplay.

Just got a 3DS this december. (The XL bundle with Mario Kart for 149.99 @ best buy was a steal.)

I think now is a great time to buy the 3DS. So many awesome DS games and 3DS games. I'm playing Kid Icarus right now and having a blast with it. Kid icarus is awesome; it's the real deal. I also have Paper Mario for it. Can't wait to try that one since I loved the gamecube paper mario.

I loved that Paper Mario game too, but the new one is fairly different. Still good, but doesn't feel like a complete sequel.

I'd recommend checking out Resident Evil Revelations and Fire Emblem as well, at least. It's strange that the best Resident Evil game of 2012 was for a portable game system.

I loved that Paper Mario game too, but the new one is fairly different. Still good, but doesn't feel like a complete sequel.

I'd recommend checking out Resident Evil Revelations and Fire Emblem as well, at least. It's strange that the best Resident Evil game of 2012 was for a portable game system.

They just announced the Gamecube Donkey Kong (or the Wii?) is being ported to the 3DS. (Yes it's the Wii one.) I really hope they do the same with the Paper Mario's. Only played the Gamecube one. Loved the style and humor in the characters. I've heard great things about the 3DS resident evil and from the pictures it reminds me of the gamecube remake (which was awesome.)

It's funny I bought an xbox for the dance games December 2011 and both the PS3 and the XBOX collect dust. (Probably why my PS3 60GB Original model is still alive.) I just use it for blu-ray and NetFlix.

I absolutely love the 3DS.

They just announced the Gamecube Donkey Kong (or the Wii?) is being ported to the 3DS. (Yes it's the Wii one.) I really hope they do the same with the Paper Mario's. Only played the Gamecube one. Loved the style and humor in the characters. I've heard great things about the 3DS resident evil and from the pictures it reminds me of the gamecube remake (which was awesome.)

It's funny I bought an xbox for the dance games December 2011 and both the PS3 and the XBOX collect dust. (Probably why my PS3 60GB Original model is still alive.) I just use it for blu-ray and NetFlix.

I absolutely love the 3DS.

I enjoy my 3DS too. I had mine since launch, and it shows. The first ones manufactured get scratches on the top screen because of how the border on the bottom screen rests against it.

Still, I play it every day on my train ride into work and from work. It has a lot more good games than most people would believe.

I would recommend checking out the Ghost Recon game for it. It's a great strategy RPG made by the original creator of X-Com.

I think they would just fuck it up if they did a remake of Chrono Trigger. That game is already so good, I don't really see how it could be improved upon, even with modern technology.

Sadly, I think you're right. I found out they did indeed redo Chrono Trigger for IOS and Android and...they screwed it up,. It has interface issues. I'm not sure on the graphics. Obviously I'm not going to pay to download such an awesome game with great memories just to see it butchered.

Sadly, I think you're right. I found out they did indeed redo Chrono Trigger for IOS and Android and...they screwed it up,. It has interface issues. I'm not sure on the graphics. Obviously I'm not going to pay to download such an awesome game with great memories just to see it butchered.

That Chrono Trigger game should have been a port of the DS version. The DS version was pretty good, and didn't seem to have the interface issues.

And I would be right behind you, with todays world of JRPGs :(

Maybe we'll get a little something to be happy about on Wednesday.

this....
modern wrpgs aren't my thing...some are alright, but i'm not their target demographic, old wrpgs have a small indie niche but are otherwise out to pasture (wizardry 8 was one of the finest games ever released), and while i love the elder scrolls games, that's a beast of its own in terms of wrpgs (and becoming more actiony as the series goes on)

i really want this dq7 it was one of the few dq games i bought on release day but didn't finish.
would love a proper remake of ff6, but kept high res anime style sprites.

i don't know, i miss the era of jrpgs proper, NIS releases are alright but often get bogged down with unnecessary game systems (atelier i'm looking at you).

I'd like to see a comeback

this....
modern wrpgs aren't my thing...some are alright, but i'm not their target demographic, old wrpgs have a small indie niche but are otherwise out to pasture (wizardry 8 was one of the finest games ever released), and while i love the elder scrolls games, that's a beast of its own in terms of wrpgs (and becoming more actiony as the series goes on)

i really want this dq7 it was one of the few dq games i bought on release day but didn't finish.
would love a proper remake of ff6, but kept high res anime style sprites.

i don't know, i miss the era of jrpgs proper, NIS releases are alright but often get bogged down with unnecessary game systems (atelier i'm looking at you).

I'd like to see a comeback

I don't know, I prefer some of the western RPGs like Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate 2, but I still enjoyed a lot of JRPGs. It feels like many JRPGs are a product of a different time.

For a game genre to evolve and change they need to add to it, and often they need to figure out what makes sense to remove. A lot of RPGs in the west have moved away from the turn based combat (even though you can see the base parts of it still hanging around Dragon Age if you look closely) because they don't need it anymore. When PCs and game systems didn't have the comparitively massive amounts of memory and processing power that they have now, turn based combat was the only way to experience an in depth strategy and tactical game like that. Still, some games find ways to liven it up, and make the experience a little retro and nostalgic, but still have some modern conveniences. Many JRPGs seem to lack that now.

I don't know, I prefer some of the western RPGs like Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate 2, but I still enjoyed a lot of JRPGs. It feels like many JRPGs are a product of a different time.

For a game genre to evolve and change they need to add to it, and often they need to figure out what makes sense to remove. A lot of RPGs in the west have moved away from the turn based combat (even though you can see the base parts of it still hanging around Dragon Age if you look closely) because they don't need it anymore. When PCs and game systems didn't have the comparitively massive amounts of memory and processing power that they have now, turn based combat was the only way to experience an in depth strategy and tactical game like that. Still, some games find ways to liven it up, and make the experience a little retro and nostalgic, but still have some modern conveniences. Many JRPGs seem to lack that now.

My take is that most JRPGs have moved to action-RPG systems (ala Tales or Star Ocean) and away from turn based. It's hard to find a turn-based RPG these days outside of Dragon Quest.

I miss them. I'll accept ATB systems (ala FF5-7) with a WAIT option (so you can hunt through menus for items) as an acceptable subsitute.

Something like Baldur's Gate II / Dragon Age: Origins is sort of the same concept (action based with pause available) but even that is hard to find these days.

Akira Toriyama has ALWAYS done the character designs for the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior games. The "DBZ look" is kind of intentional.
Oh I realize that, you just don't really see it until DQ8 when the characters are drawn in enough detail (with cut scenes) that you see the deformed proportions of the characters (like foreheads :D). Looking back at DQ6, you kind of see this a bit but still not too much. Actually, and I know it sounds stupid, but the game was kind of ruined for me when spell names were changed from the the American translation that were descriptive in their own right and turned into "sounds" i.e. blaze, blazemore, blazemost, frizz, frizzle, kafrizzle or whatever.

The Dragon Quest Monsters games have been a hit or miss proposition for me. They had some great ideas,and DQM Joker was pretty well done, but I generally prefer the Pokemon series of games for that kind of gameplay.
I prefer the party system where you have more than one monsters fighting at a time, that way you can get different skill sets and make them all work together, Pokemon I didn't like strictly because the whole one monster at a time bit was silly/stupid.

Waiting on Animal Crossing, and new Pokemon. I'm 21 but my heart is still with the games I've been playing my whole life.

Dragon Quest doesn't mean shit to the US market. Every Dragon Quest sells over a million copies in Japan....and virtually nothing in comparison in the US.

Dragon Quest VIII was probably the most popular with 430,000 sales in America VS 4,440,000 in Japan.

Dragon Quest is to America as Halo is to Japan......unknown.

That said I love me some Dragon Quest. I already Passed DQVII the first time it was released and it was a bitch I have no desire to replay that beast.

Dq7 took me, then a teen with all the free time in the world, a full month to beat..definitely passed 100 hours on it. I remember even rushing thru the damn game and finishing it in the mid lv 30s.

I've been debating buying FF Dimensions since it recently came out on Android and may be decent but 20 is a bit much.

Dq7 took me, then a teen with all the free time in the world, a full month to beat..definitely passed 100 hours on it. I remember even rushing thru the damn game and finishing it in the mid lv 30s.

I've been debating buying FF Dimensions since it recently came out on Android and may be decent but 20 is a bit much.

I'd like to get FF1 for Android, but they Rape us with the prices. They think almost too highly of those games. I got GTA for like $1 when it was on sale, FF was like what...$8 when it was on sale? Eff that!

I'd like to get FF1 for Android, but they Rape us with the prices. They think almost too highly of those games. I got GTA for like $1 when it was on sale, FF was like what...$8 when it was on sale? Eff that!

Exactly, I got so excited to hear about these games coming to mobile platforms then saw the prices. I don't get what they are smoking but apparently they are still selling well.

Exactly, I got so excited to hear about these games coming to mobile platforms then saw the prices. I don't get what they are smoking but apparently they are still selling well.

FFT on iPhone for the win. Well worth 15 bucks.

Still over priced especially considering I already owned 2 copyrights of this fucking game PS1 and PSP.

Back