Dragon Ball FighterZ

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It's been a long time since I've cared about Dragon Ball, but the graphics in this one look crazy faithful to the anime. It's an Arc System Works (Guilty Gear) game, so the gameplay should hold up, too.

I was going to make a thread about this but figured someone else will.

edit: you will see me and this @ evo when it comes out.

Last edited:
Anyone else playing this? I preordered on PC and got the Mayflash f500. My body is ready

I played the beta on the PS4. This is basically MvC with DBZ characters, so if you liked MvC or that type of fighting game, you'll love this. Even if you don't like DBZ you'll have to admit it's a very stylized game.

I like the battle system just fine, and the art is top notch, but I'm below average when it comes to PvP/competition fighters.

There's a really weird system where you can gather the 7 dragonballs that allow for a wish (Power up, full health, bring back on of you 3 teammates) by landing combos of certain hit numbers (I.E. the 2 start Ball at 25 hit or something) but you can't get more than one at a time. So if you landed a 100 hit combo (for the sake of example) you'd only get which ever ball required the most hits. I'll be surprised if during tourney play doesn't turn this option off or something.

That video in Dan's post is a very solid representation of how the beta felt.

I don't think I'll pick this up unless i hear more about what the SP campaign is. This is very much unlike DBXV in regards to how a non-competitive person would play.

tl;dr: Very pretty game, definitely a competitive fighter, more of an old school fighting game than a DBZ game as far as gameplay is concerned.

I played the beta on the Xbox the other weekend and I loved it. I was terrible at it but it sure was super fun. I'm not much of a fighting game kinda person but I felt the mechanics were pretty accessible with the move lists being rather light and very simple to execute for each character. Only thing I couldn't get my head around was the actual dragon ball mechanic. No matter how many times I tried that tutorial I could only get one, maybe two of them of them. Not sure how getting all 7 is even possible in a match without ending it before then.

It wasn't going to be a day one purchase for me but ever since that beta I've been counting down the days until Friday.

I played the beta on the Xbox the other weekend and I loved it. I was terrible at it but it sure was super fun. I'm not much of a fighting game kinda person but I felt the mechanics were pretty accessible with the move lists being rather light and very simple to execute for each character. Only thing I couldn't get my head around was the actual dragon ball mechanic. No matter how many times I tried that tutorial I could only get one, maybe two of them of them. Not sure how getting all 7 is even possible in a match without ending it before then.

It wasn't going to be a day one purchase for me but ever since that beta I've been counting down the days until Friday.

Yeah it was a weird tutorial that they could've done better at, but the short version is every 10 hits gets you a starred dragon ball.

10-19 hit = 1 star ball
20-29 hit = 2 star ball
etc

but you can only get 1 at a time so if you do a 20 hit combo you'd only get the 2 star ball.

I don't recall this exactly but i believe the trick in the tutorial was to do Krillin's Split Energy wave (3 bar skill) to get the 2 star ball, then use Goku's Kamehameha to get the 1 star.

But yeah I'm with you. It seems far more likely you'll kill the person before you grab all 7 in 1 match.

Yeah it was a weird tutorial that they could've done better at, but the short version is every 10 hits gets you a starred dragon ball.

10-19 hit = 1 star ball
20-29 hit = 2 star ball
etc

but you can only get 1 at a time so if you do a 20 hit combo you'd only get the 2 star ball.

I don't recall this exactly but i believe the trick in the tutorial was to do Krillin's Split Energy wave (3 bar skill) to get the 2 star ball, then use Goku's Kamehameha to get the 1 star.

But yeah I'm with you. It seems far more likely you'll kill the person before you grab all 7 in 1 match.

Just doing the basic auto-combo will get dragon balls as well. Doing that over and over will get you all 7.

Just doing the basic auto-combo will get dragon balls as well. Doing that over and over will get you all 7.
I dont think its possible to get that high of a combo off the auto stuff. You need a bit of skill to start doign wall bounces and chaining them together. Im pretty decent at fighters and got pretty high rating. In probably 100ish games i saw the dragon once

I dont think its possible to get that high of a combo off the auto stuff. You need a bit of skill to start doign wall bounces and chaining them together. Im pretty decent at fighters and got pretty high rating. In probably 100ish games i saw the dragon once

Well that's pretty crappy...

Glad I never played against anyone that even remotely tried that otherwise it'd be a boring match. I wonder if they'll tweak it at all because it honestly seems like a bug to gather them using the same exact combo every time.

Well that's pretty crappy...

Glad I never played against anyone that even remotely tried that otherwise it'd be a boring match. I wonder if they'll tweak it at all because it honestly seems like a bug to gather them using the same exact combo every time.

It's a casual fighting game so it's probably intentional. Having the option to completely disable the system entirely would be nice though.

My body is ready. Here is mystick
Fight Stick.jpg

I think im going to roll Hit, SSB vegeta and mystic gohan as my first team. I dont know if they will be any good together but ill try them.

The art direction, animation, detail etc is unbelievable. They went all out on this game. It feels like you are actually in a DBZ battle. I haven't even scratched the surface yet in terms of mechanics either

Something to keep an eye on for the summer sale, not going to play it enough to warrant a full price day one purchase, but I'd like to play it a bit.

Jesus christ i'm getting destroyed. I can honestly say I have almost 0 experience with fighters and coupling that with me using a joystick... I excpected to be behind the pack but I just cant grasp the advanced combos. From someone who feels comfortable in 95% jumping into them... This is kinda refreshing. All shooters are similar, RPGS, MMOS. But starting a new genre im seriously a noob. Extremely aggravating and eye opening. The game itself is absolutely amazing. Arcsoft did AMAZING. As of right now im going to go take a breather and laydown and come back at it and continue the combo grind.

Jesus christ i'm getting destroyed. I can honestly say I have almost 0 experience with fighters and coupling that with me using a joystick... I excpected to be behind the pack but I just cant grasp the advanced combos. From someone who feels comfortable in 95% jumping into them... This is kinda refreshing. All shooters are similar, RPGS, MMOS. But starting a new genre im seriously a noob. Extremely aggravating and eye opening. The game itself is absolutely amazing. Arcsoft did AMAZING. As of right now im going to go take a breather and laydown and come back at it and continue the combo grind.

Don't give up man. I've put hundreds of hours into lots of fighters. This is my first Arc Systems game. First anime fighter. I haven't even begun training mode yet. I'm just doing combo challenges for everyone to get an idea of who I like.

Put the time in. It's worth it man. Fighters are the ultimate salt mines but they are by far the most rewarding.

This game has possibly the most satisfying specials and supers of any fighter I've ever played.

Teen Gohan father son Kamehameha? Fuck yea

Don't give up man. I've put hundreds of hours into lots of fighters. This is my first Arc Systems game. First anime fighter. I haven't even begun training mode yet. I'm just doing combo challenges for everyone to get an idea of who I like.

Put the time in. It's worth it man. Fighters are the ultimate salt mines but they are by far the most rewarding.

Oh im not stopping. Im getting destoyed and still loving it... Last ngiht my 6 year old beat me... so i need some work.

I was looking into this game, saw it on the Steam store page. Wasn't sure if it was worth $60 or $110 for the ultimate edition. Very positive reviews though, I may wait for a sale.

Anywhere to buy this game for less than retail yet? I didn't see it on many key websites for the normal 25ish percent off...CD keys had it for like $54...still kind of high.

I love DBZ and the old DB:GT fighter on PS1 was my favorite...this looks great. It's just hard for me to justify spending $60 on a fighter. I like spending that much on RPG's where I know I'll get a solid ratio of 1:1 hours played / dollars spent. I've never played a fighter in my LIFE much more than 15-20 hours. Just not into the competitive online play of fighters, especially as a PC player. Hopefully this'll drop in price some soon enough and I can pick it up and check it out.

I love DBZ and the old DB:GT fighter on PS1 was my favorite...this looks great. It's just hard for me to justify spending $60 on a fighter. I like spending that much on RPG's where I know I'll get a solid ratio of 1:1 hours played / dollars spent. I've never played a fighter in my LIFE much more than 15-20 hours. Just not into the competitive online play of fighters, especially as a PC player. Hopefully this'll drop in price some soon enough and I can pick it up and check it out.

I'm with you but I'd be surprised to see it for sub-$50 within 6 months. Probably going to be a 10% sale here and there, maybe a 25% when the voice/music packs drop in april.

The real fun with a fighter, and especially with this game, is when you have people over for local multiplayer. The simple mechanics this game has lends itself to be an easy party game for newbies. I think in that sense it has a good pay off in addition to the single player/online portions. If that isn't an experience you're likely to have very often though I can see the hesitation.

On a different note: I totally suck at this game but I'm still addicted to it. I've played two ranked matches and won both but that was sheer luck getting paired with someone worse than me. Every single casual match I've played has resulted in me getting my ass handed to me in record time. Also can't seem to get through any of the Hard mode Arcade routes...

Finally gave this game a try, sad to see it maxes out at 1080 for resolution, what is it with al these asian games and their resolutions?

Anyways, from my first impression this seems fun enough, might do some more arcade mode later today.

i hear ya, im already 286 hours played. So it all depends on the player :)

Finally gave this game a try, sad to see it maxes out at 1080 for resolution, what is it with al these asian games and their resolutions?

PC gaming isn't that popular in Japan. When your apartment is about the size of a closet in the USA, space really matters.

Back