Dragon Age: why do we have to pay more to get all the items?

IsaacMM

Gawd
I think it is very disrespectful to us customers when a game developer provides exclusive items to services like Steam when you buy from them or exclusive items in more expensive editions of the game. Why do we have to pay more to get the full game? All these items should be in the game regardless of which edition i decide to buy. At this rate, soon they will only provide half the items in standard editions and the rest you only get with special editions.

What happened to the really nicely drawn maps, soundtrack, making-of, etc that used to come in special editions?

yeah, it does suck, but it was bound to happen. many people WILL pay more for it, and this will only fuel other companies to follow suit. SUCK.

Is this game mod-able? If so just make the bonus weapons, if not pretend they don't exist.

The three items in the CE aren't that special. Even the book isn't that great. The pre-order items don't seem terribly interesting either. Something you'll use for a short time before discarding them for something better. Is it really worth bitching about tiny little items that have little impact and that people can and will recreate in the SDK?

I never buy special edition anything. I bought dragon age steam addition pre-order and i guess you get a more XP ring, and some armor penetration ring but other then that not much. Not having to pay tax on the game is a good thing IMO.

I never buy special edition anything. I bought dragon age steam addition pre-order and i guess you get a more XP ring, and some armor penetration ring but other then that not much. Not having to pay tax on the game is a good thing IMO.

Commit to the Superfly3176, he speaks the truth.

In a game of this size, you're worried about one extra ring or one set of boots? It's not like you get ZOMG EPIX if you get the special edition, it's just one item.

* Bergen’s Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack).
* Grimoire of the Frozen Wates: A special book that adds +3 to all attributes when read.
* Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage).
* "The Stone Prisoner" unlockable bonus quest and unlockable character, Shale.

I guess the unlockable character sounds interesting, but an extra $45 for that and a few items I doubt last you the whole game? No thanks. You get the other normal CE stuff like a DVD/book, but that's NEVER interested me for any game that's had a CE. Show me a collector's edition that's actually appreciated in value and I'll change my mind on them.

I guess the unlockable character sounds interesting, but an extra $45 for that and a few items I doubt last you the whole game? No thanks. You get the other normal CE stuff like a DVD/book, but that's NEVER interested me for any game that's had a CE. Show me a collector's edition that's actually appreciated in value and I'll change my mind on them.

Shale (unlockable char) comes with all new copies of the game, not just CE.

just quick from the top of my head: No

WoW. collectors edition. Get an exclusive pet.

GuildWars

EQ2 collectors edition was released before WOW and it came with a pet if we really want to get technical.

just quick from the top of my head: No

WoW. collectors edition. Get an exclusive pet.

GuildWars

I think the point is that unlike a "regular" collector's edition, where you can just pick it up at any store and expect the same thing. You have different collectibles for each store. I remember when some items were like Gamestop exclusive, and it was like do I want to drive or order from Gamestop for this 1 exclusive. I remember Age of Conan was like this, Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop had all different exclusives just like Dragon Age.

There are free in-game items too, if you sign up for the Bioware Dragon Age Social website with your made character from the Dragon Age Character Creation, you get some kind of ring. Also, there is a 2d flash game which I haven't tried, but supposedly you can get items for Dragon Age also.

I think the point is that unlike a "regular" collector's edition, where you can just pick it up at any store and expect the same thing. You have different collectibles for each store. I remember when some items were like Gamestop exclusive, and it was like do I want to drive or order from Gamestop for this 1 exclusive. I remember Age of Conan was like this, Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop had all different exclusives just like Dragon Age.

There are free in-game items too, if you sign up for the Bioware Dragon Age Social website with your made character from the Dragon Age Character Creation, you get some kind of ring. Also, there is a 2d flash game which I haven't tried, but supposedly you can get items for Dragon Age also.

None of these extra items adds a lot to the game. Its not like they will make the game greatly easier or do anything amazing. The retailer exclusive bonus items have a dubious value at best. None of them seem like anything that'll be used beyond the first couple hours of the game.

Maybe they will have bonus magic find items a la Diablo! Wee!

I only care to pay for quests and story lines. None of this other nonsense.

I can't wait for the release date....

.... of the toolset. Then this nonsense will be over (well, maybe not completely)

I love how so many people think WOW did everything first. I'll give them battlegrounds, but that is it.

:rolleyes:

jesus I'm just mentioning a game from the top of my head older than Oblivion and horse armor. Don't get your panties in a wad. I don't play either (WoW or EQ) I did play Guildwars though.

I really don't see what the problem is. No one is forcing the CE down your throat and making you purchase additional content. The bonus items (virtual and tangible) have a value. Either you agree with the $15 overhead or you don't.

The pre-order and online goodies like the rings, staff, armour.. etc is a product of marketing and expanding distribution. They even made a flash-based game to build up a fanbase and anticipation.

If you think that content developed after the game went gold should be given for free "just because it's available" is a choice that the developers/publishers make based on effort to implement the new content. Why would they spend the time to develope the new content (Warden's Keep) if it had no impact on sales of the game? That is a pretty expensive "freebie" for the developer.

Shale was supposed to be included originally, but they had pathing issues that were resolved late - hence the digital add-on.

Really, all you are missing out on, is the quasi-expansion content which can be purchased later or included with the digital CE version (in lieu of the physical goodies).

Because, honestly, being ripped off is all part of the experience - I bought the collector's edition, which will have an undersized tin box and cloth map.

Oh yeah, Horse Armor!

That was great! I felt so ripped off by that! That is exactly what I'm talking about. See - this is the stuff that you end up remembering. That's what makes our lives great.

The collectors edition of morrowind had a bent pewter figurine, an art book that was more impressive by how many features it shown had been cut, and a napkin sized map.

Yes it very much sucks. Here's what I'm doing: Buying the Standard Edition off Amazon for $42 after a 10% promo coupon, then you get a $10GC with it, which you can apply towards another game. So if I like the game I'll get the DLC and it's still a better deal this way. I don't mind waiting a little longer to get the retail box.

Yes it very much sucks. Here's what I'm doing: Buying the Standard Edition off Amazon for $42 after a 10% promo coupon, then you get a $10GC with it, which you can apply towards another game. So if I like the game I'll get the DLC and it's still a better deal this way. I don't mind waiting a little longer to get the retail box.

I like my idea. Use the SURVEY-2009 coupon on Impulse to get the DDE for $52.

If you want the making of the making of DVD or the cloth map buy the physical copy of the collectors edt
Bonus DVD containing

* Making of documentary
* Concept art montage
* Digital Soundtrack
* Desktop Wallpapers
* Game Trailers

otherwise your better off with the Digital Deluxe Edition which has everything but the bonus disk and cloth map but includes the warden's keep. Plus you don't have to pay shipping.

There have been colector's edt since I started gaming on the C64, some are good some are bad and some are pointless. As long as people are willing to spend the money they will find something to throw in there. I buy the colectors' edt for the art and the making of dvds.

I think it is cool that extra stuff that is part of the game rather than something that will get lost. Everyone who buys the game from bioware (not used) gets free stuff, since they don't make any money on used games.

As this stuff being in there otherwise probably not since most of it is marketing fluff that got added to draw more people in. The blood dragon armor was primary to get people to buy the game new as making a whole suit of armor is not just slap something together. Someone has to have the initial concept, then a drawling it which the hard part is finding something the art director happens to like when he/she gets to it then the 2D image has to be translated into a 3D model. Generally the concept art is drawn in forced perspective to make it more appealing to get it approved but makes it harder to get what is one the paper work from all angles as generally being drawn in forced perspective it is not possible to simply re-create it as drawn. Then you have to stay with in texture and textile budget which the concept art does not have. etc.. so it is a lot of work to add anything that exists in the game as an object. The rings and amulets just exist as paper doll pieces and can be banged out in minutes. Which is what all of the exclusives are random stats on various different looking rings or amulets. I was surprised when amazon's collector edt was a game object.

The toolset is done and everyone is supposed to have access to it on monday. I know there was something else but it's late some everyone have fun with DA :)

Show me a collector's edition that's actually appreciated in value and I'll change my mind on them.

Original WoW collector's edition - currently about $1200 on ebay.

As for Dragon Age, I got the CE mostly because I'm a sucker for Steelbook cases.

Every review I've seen has pegged the game length somewhere between 50 and 80 hours. Are people seriously complaining that this game doesn't have enough content? It's like going to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and then complaining that they didn't include the fortune cookie. I understand that people don't like being nickel and dimed for stuff, but this is getting pretty petty.

As for Dragon Age, I got the CE mostly because I'm a sucker for Steelbook cases.

Maybe unused, as soon as you use that cd key and get ur special pet the rest of it is just a CD with content already freely downloadable online.

None of these extra items adds a lot to the game. Its not like they will make the game greatly easier or do anything amazing. The retailer exclusive bonus items have a dubious value at best. None of them seem like anything that'll be used beyond the first couple hours of the game.

Took the words out of my mouth. These are small trinkets that will likely be replaced quickly. Who cares.

Reminds me of some guy on the AoC forums who was complaining shortly after launch that he lost money on the $2500 worth of CEs he had bought, expecting to make a huge profit.

I bought my dragon age today and it came with a little slip inside with a unlock code to get blood dragon armor (for dragonage & mass effect 2) and a code to download the fury of the shale quest.

i can't complain about that :)

Reminds me of some guy on the AoC forums who was complaining shortly after launch that he lost money on the $2500 worth of CEs he had bought, expecting to make a huge profit.

:eek:

WTF...went to see a house yesterday and the guy must have had 1000's of hot wheel cars all over the basement. I was like you like hot wheels don't you and he was like nah I use them as investments.

I was like WTF? seriously? drop that money into a mutual fund or getting 8-10% and let it sit for years. Guess I just don't look at games as an investment.

Well I paid like $20 extra for the BG 2 collectors edition. I got a t-shirt and 'exclusive' content. Some time later they just patched all of that content into the game so I figure the $40 version of DA is good enough for now and i'll get the content for free later.

I think its stupid as well OP. If companies could find a way to shit into a bag and sell it to you, I'm sure someone would buy it.

yeah, it does suck, but it was bound to happen. many people WILL pay more for it, and this will only fuel other companies to follow suit. SUCK.

Wait till blizzard finally releases starcraft 2 if that crap about releasing the three campaigns as THREE separate games is true. Already been over a decade, and MORE wait time for the full game now, and topping 150 for the privilege to play it all.

No shame. That said, a good game provides infinitely more entertainment value than say a movie or sports event.

Wait till blizzard finally releases starcraft 2 if that crap about releasing the three campaigns as THREE separate games is true. Already been over a decade, and MORE wait time for the full game now, and topping 150 for the privilege to play it all.

No shame. That said, a good game provides infinitely more entertainment value than say a movie or sports event.

Why do people keep assuming all three parts will be $50? Blizzard loves expansions, its not like its anything new for them.

Back