Dragon Age - Roughly The First 20 Minutes On Video

dunno, i can't get into single player RPGs

also, the UI doesn't look very good, sort of like you'd expect to find in a 10 year old game.

dunno, i can't get into single player RPGs

also, the UI doesn't look very good, sort of like you'd expect to find in a 10 year old game.

Which is exactly what people have wanted from Bioware since Baldur's Gate 2, an old-school RPG.

i dunno....this looks "meh" after actually playing the risen demo.

Which is exactly what people have wanted from Bioware since Baldur's Gate 2, an old-school RPG.

uh, yea, but can't the game be old-school without looking outdated?

the graphics aren't that impressive either

They did start developing it five years ago. Still the game looks fine, every game doesn't need super-high res and high detailed graphics.

I tried really hard any can't think of any games that pull that vibe off succesfully, anybody else can think of one? Because that's a problem that alot of developers face.

They did start developing it five years ago. Still the game looks fine, every game doesn't need super-high res and high detailed graphics.

Compared to the game I am playing now, aion, it does look pretty dated graphically, but I don't care.

Baldur's Gate II was the single greatest rpg of all time (say otherwise, and you may get cut !), so I WILL play it.

The only downside is that no game, now or in the future will have a greater villain than one Jon Irenicus.

I've been waiting for this to come out for awhile now. This upcoming few weeks is going to be good between Borderlands and this coming out. I've been playing Drakensang for a bit to satisfy my RPG needs but I just can't get into it really. Hopefully it gets better soon.

Drakensang bored me, Risen isn't much better. Dragon Age looks great (better than Aion imo), and tbh.. I don't care.

BG3 = Boner Generator 3.

NWN2 and Drakensang were both very blah for me, couldn't enjoy.
Risen is/was awesome!

Hopefully Dragon's Age pulls through *crosses finger*

Baldur's Gate II was the single greatest rpg of all time (say otherwise, and you may get cut !), so I WILL play it.

Torment > BGII!

I'm really looking forward to this, its been a while for a good quality classic RPG.

I am wondering about the level of PhysX implementation, these kind of games are strongly suited for effects-physics.

I don't think going off of this guys video and computer is a fair assessment of the graphics of this game. Video quality and the capability of his computer may not be as good as they could be. From all of the pictures i've seen it looks really nice.

173331-dragon-age-origins-3_original.jpg
173331-dragon-age-origins-1_original.jpg

what are going to be the system requirements for this game?

Going off of your sig, I'm not so sure you will be able to play it with all the eye candy on. Which kinda stinks, but either way its going to be a great game. ;)

Unfortunately for me I cant watch the vid (blocked)...Not sure if I even want too, I want it to be a surprise ;)

@whoever posted about Risen, the 15min demo was cool. I would like to get it...my only complaint is, it's pretty much Gothic 3 with better graphics. I couldn't find it at Bestbuy or Walmart...? Still rootin for Dragon Age ;)

Last edited:
I don't think the game will be too demanding in the graphic/horsepower department. It's been in development for over 5 years (first announced in 2004). Hopefully, my gaming PC will be up to the task of running everything on max. If not, time to upgrade the old Q6600. :(

King Icewind, I've been waiting 5 years for Dragon Age, and I believe it will be great - but honestly, Risen is a masterpiece.

The demo, I thought, was kind of shallow. While playing the demo I thought, meh, this is a B-title. Well I'm 35 hours in now and I can assure you that this is no B-title. Everything about this game is just so well done, from character balancing, to the story, to the graphics, to the combat, to the superb voice acting - the game just gets better, and better, and better... so that by the 30'th hour you start feeling a sense of euphoria while you're playing.

At one point I almost started crying because I was so taken with the game.

But, yeah, that demo does not do the game justice. Combat is so much fun in this game. You actually have to alter your style quite a bit. Some NPCs you have to block, others you have to use your combo attacks on, while with others you just avoid them and try to get in a power swing on - it's just so much fun. There's an ogre on a hill - and finally defeating him, after having tried and failed at previous levels, has to be one of the most sublime moments in all of gaming. When you're finally able to take on Ghouls it's an incredibly satisfying and powerful moment.

And how many times have I just stopped in my tracks and looked around in awe at the world - too many times!

Any person who's an RPG enthusiast needs to check out Risen - a great game that seemingly came from out of nowhere. (And I probably should add that this is an RPG of the old school - there are no jack-of-all-trades characters here; if you spread your character too thin, then you're going to pay for it; RPGs have been dumbed down in recent years, and Risen is a return to the days when leveling up your character actually means something; it's a hostile world out there, and when you grow to be able to survive in it... man, is it ever rewarding.)

A UI for a MMORPG and a UI for a single player RPG demand vastly different features.

And I'm sorry, but people who've only been playing WoW for the past 5 years can't really say much about the state of gaming and what not.

I hope we get some PhysX vs. non-PhysX comparisons. I'm going to get a new video card for this game. Leaning towards the new AMD 5000 series, but might give up and go for Nvidia for PhysX. I don't really want to mess around both when I can't afford too.

Enough with the physics already, must that insignificant non-game affecting eye-candy crap infect every discussion? There's a huge physx-thread in the graphics card section already.

physx is right up there with what kind of background they use in the main menu for 'important things' we need to discuss about this kind of game.

IMO. YMMV. HAND.

Enough with the physics already, must that insignificant non-game affecting eye-candy crap infect every discussion? There's a huge physx-thread in the graphics card section already.

physx is right up there with what kind of background they use in the main menu for 'important things' we need to discuss about this kind of game.

IMO. YMMV. HAND.

Physics are not insignificant. Look at games like Half-life 2 or fucking Red Faction. They wouldn't be possibly without physics. Even in games that don't use it directly for gameplay it adds to immersion when something breaks like it would in real life. You must be one of those people who things graphics never matter either.

I hope we get some PhysX vs. non-PhysX comparisons. I'm going to get a new video card for this game. Leaning towards the new AMD 5000 series, but might give up and go for Nvidia for PhysX. I don't really want to mess around both when I can't afford too.

They're not going to have any PhysX features that are hardware only. If you are capable of doing hardware PhysX the engine will do it, but everything will be perfectly viable on "just" a CPU.

I might have to buy this off Steam - I can't find a store that's going to be selling The Collector's Edition (with the cloth map and the tin box - useless items, I know) on day one.

Oh well, I've got the collector's edition gameguide on order - maybe that will have to suffice.

I've owned every Bioware/Obsidian D&D RPG, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN1, NWN2, all the expansions, etc. and I have to say...I have utterly no interest in playing this game (even though I have family members listed in the credits haha).

I am just not a fan of playing RPGs with a lot of party NPCs. Inevitably they get on my nerves and I don't like having them around, having to take control sometimes because the AI is bugging me in some little way, or having to stop and listen to their conversations, arguments, flirting, etc. and having to play a big role in resolving their differences and listening to everybody's individual sob story, etc. and building reputation with them...it's just painful and not why I play RPGs. Going into battle, their AI will drive me nuts too. In most games, it's like you are babysitting a team and I hate that.

Dragon Age looks amazing and it stings SOOO much that they didn't even think of putting in any co-operative multiplayer like Baldurs Gate and NWN had because I want to play these deep RPGs with a friend who has his own brain and whom I can talk to and not have to put up with ridiculous NPCs. When I played NWN with a buddy, at the first possible opportunity, we would ditch all the NPCs that we could.

Since Dragon Age is not going to fit that bill, is there anything on the horizon on the PC that I can look for or look forward too (Diablo 3 is a different matter and I wouldn't touch an MMO with a 100-foot pole).

I might have to buy this off Steam - I can't find a store that's going to be selling The Collector's Edition (with the cloth map and the tin box - useless items, I know) on day one.

Oh well, I've got the collector's edition gameguide on order - maybe that will have to suffice.

Amazon is a couple days past Day One, but maybe Steam will get the DDE.

I've owned every Bioware/Obsidian D&D RPG, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN1, NWN2, all the expansions, etc. and I have to say...I have utterly no interest in playing this game (even though I have family members listed in the credits haha).

I am just not a fan of playing RPGs with a lot of party NPCs. Inevitably they get on my nerves and I don't like having them around, having to take control sometimes because the AI is bugging me in some little way, or having to stop and listen to their conversations, arguments, flirting, etc. and having to play a big role in resolving their differences and listening to everybody's individual sob story, etc. and building reputation with them...it's just painful and not why I play RPGs. Going into battle, their AI will drive me nuts too. In most games, it's like you are babysitting a team and I hate that.

Dragon Age looks amazing and it stings SOOO much that they didn't even think of putting in any co-operative multiplayer like Baldurs Gate and NWN had because I want to play these deep RPGs with a friend who has his own brain and whom I can talk to and not have to put up with ridiculous NPCs. When I played NWN with a buddy, at the first possible opportunity, we would ditch all the NPCs that we could.

Since Dragon Age is not going to fit that bill, is there anything on the horizon on the PC that I can look for or look forward too (Diablo 3 is a different matter and I wouldn't touch an MMO with a 100-foot pole).

The only one of your complaints that I can help is AI. You can create custom AI routines for the party members in the game. Something akin to "Do X when Y happens unless C happens. If C happens while X is happening do B".

So is this have any multiplayer aspects? It looks really awesome and coming from Bioware I know it will be good - but in 2009 multiplayer and online are crucial.

So is this have any multiplayer aspects? It looks really awesome and coming from Bioware I know it will be good - but in 2009 multiplayer and online are crucial.

No multiplayer and for this type of game, I wouldn't say it's crucial at all. This was discussed a bit in the other Dragon Age thread but I'd say it's about time we had a good, story driven single player with no gimped/tacked on multiplayer features.

On the official forums, there are rumors stating that Bioware may look at adding some NWN type stuff down the road but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

No, its not. Multiplayer in games is usually complete and utter shit filled with dumbasses incapable of playing games correctly.

Looks like another game to add to the purchase list.

I'm impressed by this video (the actual game not the commentators) So many spells.. I'll have to play as a mage.

I think Bioware are on to another big hit with this one.

They're not going to have any PhysX features that are hardware only. If you are capable of doing hardware PhysX the engine will do it, but everything will be perfectly viable on "just" a CPU.

Even down to minutiae like the way the smoke looks or the way fire looks?

honestly ill just pirate this one, it doesn't look to be worth $50

Wow, people have no fucking sense of right and wrong anymore, publicly announcing hey. I'm a lowlife thief........:rolleyes:

I just pre ordered the CE of this. Can't wait, plus I get the Red Dragon Armor for my Mass Effect 2 toons also ! schweet !:D

Back