Dragon Age PC the Egg $39.99!!

Good price for a good game but something about 0-day pay-to-play dlc just turns me off.

Thanks OP!

I knew it would drop to $40 on sale soon somewhere!
Newegg rocks for me. No sales tax!

It really stinks living in Washington because everything I buy at Amazon has sales tax.

I hear you. The move lacked class.

The move is EA trying to turn a profit to please their investors.

This game was made by Bioware. Ok if you didn't alt tab just now and buy it because of that then I'll go on. It's fucking epically awesome. Don't let your principles get in the way of this one. Think of it as that hot slut your friends already banged, just hit it man. Just hit it, trust me.

This game was made by Bioware. Ok if you didn't alt tab just now and buy it because of that then I'll go on. It's fucking epically awesome. Don't let your principles get in the way of this one. Think of it as that hot slut your friends already banged, just hit it man. Just hit it, trust me.

LOL

Good price for a good game but something about 0-day pay-to-play dlc just turns me off.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, nobody's forcing you to pay the seven bucks for the mission you don't need to play anyway. If you have ever enjoyed an RPG this game will sweep you off your feet.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, nobody's forcing you to pay the seven bucks for the mission you don't need to play anyway. If you have ever enjoyed an RPG this game will sweep you off your feet.

Agreed there is so much content in the game you cant be whining about DLC imo. The game is amazing its not getting near enough hype, I think it deserves as much hype as Mass Effect Honestly.

Just dont get it and you will still have a game better then most devs put out for 40 bucks

Yea, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, and while I shelled out for Warden's Keep, I'm thinking those $7 would've been better spent on a couple pints - regardless, I'd say the original DLC-less game is worth $40.

For whatever it's worth, Amazon also has this for $40 and free shipping - I suppose that where to get it depends on what else you might need.

I'm not defending DLC at all because I feel it will eventually lead to games being cheapened before it even hits the shelf. In the case of DA though, remember the game was ready to be released in February for PC but got pushed back several months to make it possible to release on all 3 at the same time. With all that extra time for part of the team I can understand why they may make some extra stuff and have it ready early.

I'm not defending DLC at all because I feel it will eventually lead to games being cheapened before it even hits the shelf. In the case of DA though, remember the game was ready to be released in February for PC but got pushed back several months to make it possible to release on all 3 at the same time. With all that extra time for part of the team I can understand why they may make some extra stuff and have it ready early.

Oh don't misunderstand: I bought it, played it, loved it. However, when I buy the 'collectors edition' I expect it to have everything made for the game up to that point. They could have handled it differently... instead they showed a certain lack of class and cheapened the experience. Just saying.

$40 is a good deal. I saw this yesterday and picked it up....though I forgot to post the deal on [H]. doh!

I'm not so sure that was a dick EA move. There are two very legit reasons why this may have happened:

1) Dragon Age got delayed a LOT. My boss had preordered it a long time ago and was planning on getting it beginning of this year. Well that obviously didn't happen. They pushed back the release quite a bit. Good decision, since they took time to polish the game more. Ok, well the DLC was in development as well, by a different team (it would start later in the process). The game was probably supposed to launch early this year, the DLC later. However, the game got pushed, and the DLC was ready for launch. No sense in artificially delaying the DLC just because the game's release slid.

2) There is only so much you can put in to a game at a given price. It is simple economics. All those art assets, level designs, voice sessions, etc all cost money. As such you can't go and have a game that is massive in size and still sells for $50. At some point you either have to raise the price, or stop adding features. Well DLC/expansions are another option. You don't have to raise the price, which is very problematic, but you can still sell the content to those that are willing to pay.

Overall, I've no problem with it given that the game gives you more than your money's worth. That is to say you'll get a lot more entertainment out of it than you would out of most $50 games. It does not at all feel like they left parts out on purpose just to have DLC to sell, rather they had put all they could afford to in the main game.

Remember that all the people who make the game have to eat too. If you have a look in the manual it was seriously a team of like 200-300 people that made this game happen. Bills gotta be paid and all that.

2) There is only so much you can put in to a game at a given price. It is simple economics. All those art assets, level designs, voice sessions, etc all cost money. As such you can't go and have a game that is massive in size and still sells for $50. At some point you either have to raise the price, or stop adding features. Well DLC/expansions are another option. You don't have to raise the price, which is very problematic, but you can still sell the content to those that are willing to pay.

People used this analogy when defending Microsoft charging a lot for XP or Vista vs. Windows 98.

The problem is that although the amount of work is bigger, the market has gotten huge. You not only have a bigger PC market here, you have consoles involved. All that art work's cost doesn't increase with those increased sales.

So say compared to NWNs, they may have spent more on those things, their sales have also gone up so the cost/unit is what needs to be looked at.

It basically made the game cost $7 more. Given the quality of the game, I'm hardly concerned.

Sycraft nailed it on the head the game was supposed to be released this past March originally, the team working on the DLC were on a time table to release the content now. Since the game was pushed back for some polishing and tweaking the DLC team kept working per their schedule and hence you have day 1 DLC.

So say compared to NWNs, they may have spent more on those things, their sales have also gone up so the cost/unit is what needs to be looked at.

Well there's a few things with that. First off, you can't guarantee unit sales. You can't say "We are sure this game is going to be a smash hit, so we'll figure on lots of sales." Doing that is asking for trouble. You need to count on normal sales for that kind of game and price accordingly.

Second, along those lines, this is an RPG. Those historically are not top sellers on any platform. Not saying they can't sell well but if you have a look, excluding WoW, you find that RPGs don't tend to sell massive units like other game types do. So you can't say that Dragon Age should have Halo like sales, because that is extremely unlikely. People buy more shooters than they do RPGs, just how it goes.

Third, you are talking extremely big budgets. High end games like this have movie-like budgets. EA isn't likely to tell me what the budget was, but I'd venture $50-100 million. Have to sell a lot of games to make that back. Remember that they don't make $50 per copy sold, the retailer or digital distributor takes a cut. On consoles, the console maker also charges a license (hence why the games cost more). At $50 million for a $50 game you'd better be ready to sell 1.5 million or so to break even. That's a lot of sales. Consider that even top selling games are usually only in the 8-10 million range.

Finally, there's the fact that the larger (and longer) the investment, the higher the potential return needs to be to make it worth while. You aren't going to find people interested in putting a bunch of money in a multi-year project that is at best expected to break even. They want a return.

All in all this is simply a reality you have to deal with for games. There is only so much content that can go in to a game at a given price. If you want more content you are going to have to charge more, or you aren't going to get a publisher to fund you. However charging more isn't so easy either, people aren't necessarily willing to pay more up front for a game.

Thus DLC is the way you are likely to see things go. I realize it can be abused, and has been. However DAO is not one of those cases in my opinion. As I said, the game gets you more than your money's worth. You can spend $50 (or $40 in this case) on a lot of other games and get way less entertainment.

The two big problems I have with the $7 DLC is an NPC in game selling it and the fact you have to buy it to get any permanent storage (from my understanding, I haven't played far enough to get the camp outfitted with the NPC yet).

At the least the permanent storage should already be in and having an NPC sales man is very much overkill when you can browse the DLC from the main menu.

That said, the game is absolutely worth $40. I wish I had more time to play it currently.

Last edited:
I bit. What the hell. I'm tired of reading about how good this game is and it probably won't be sold for much less than $40, for a couple of months anyway.

Post of the motherfucking year!

Amazon has now price matched this price.

PC version only available for 39.99..

This is great for any one with PRIME.

Dragon Age @ Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

That's the best argument anyone's given for buying Dragon Age. Is buying the Steam version like banging her hot(& clean) sister instead?

They also got the Collectors edition slightly cheaper than some other retail establishments. Is it worth the extra $20 for the CE? tin box, few items, upcoming DLC for this game and some extra dlc for mass effect 2. I am leaning towards hard copy over steam because you actually get some solid disk format, download might take a while and it's cheaper. What do you guys think about going CE?

I think the Steam one doesn't have online activation(double check, just what I remember), while the disc version does. So I'd choose Steam over EA for DRM. DRM for the DLC is the same I believe though.

No DRM on the disc version. Well, I mean there is technically a disc check but it is just that a "Is the disc present?" thing. No SecuROM or the like. Regardless of the version, you have to log in to an EA account to download DLC. However for the disc version, once downloaded, you don't need to log in again.

Its a great game, but the DLC, extra cash, register BS, only DLC has inventory storage is just one big dick move.

Ye a hot girl your friends banged who just found out she has something growing on her lip. She goes to the doctor and finds our it's EAerpes.

This game is superb. I paid for the Digital Deluxe for the extra DLC and the exclusive items... Love it. It's such a great game. Only problem is my wife figured out it was on my steam account and now she's playing it all the time. :(

Especially when the character who starts the DLC quest stands at your camp with a big exclamation point in the unpatched game. Still this game is amazing. I'm loving it so far.

Yeah she should really get that looked at.

screenshot2009110914104.jpg

Newegg still has it for $45.

Still a good $10 cheaper than anywhere else I can find it.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn between getting a physical copy or a Steam copy.

I want to install it on both my desktop and laptop for on the go gaming. Would one or the other give me any issue with installing on two separate computers? I'll be using the same EA account so I'm hoping not.

Back