Dragon Age Origins discussion...

Going crazy, can't decide if I want a mage or a rogue :eek:

Exceptional RPG thus far, 5-6 hours on my commoner Dwarf Warrior and rocking on Normal. Almost level 7, hopefully will be able to spec Reaver at that time.

I started a Human melee character mainly because of the warnings I've read about the difficulty of the game (and the melee character being easier to play overall). I haven't played an RPG like this since...well...probably Baldur's Gate or something similar, so I thought that might be best.

HOWEVER, the other characters seem to much cooler! Now I wonder whether I should start up a mage instead......

lol
so your girlfriend/boyfriend/room mate//mom/dad/sister/brother/burglar/rapist/stalker.... posted this from your account in post #226??

Basically, what it ultimately comes down to is that half of you would read it and think nothing of it, the other half would be complaining so just to be safe I made it nice and big for you.

I never said 'you don't like the game'. I'm asking now, whether you think it could be a contender for your personal game of the year. I'm not trying to flame you, I'm curious as to your opinion on the game now, since you have had the most play time out of anyone here at the moment.

Oh, sorry. Yes, I think it might be a game-of-the-year contender for me personally. But I actually haven't played that much. I played all night Monday, and a little bit last night, but I've only just arrived at Lothering, and I see, judging from some of the threads I've read at other sites, that a lot of people are already way beyond that. I might not get to play this thing again until Saturday!

But yeah, it's a good game.

Also, I've just read comments from a guy who claims to be concurrently playing through on the PC and the 360 - he believes that the PC version is much harder. He says that on the 360 he's not even being challenged. I thought that was pretty interesting.

And take a look at this - here's the type of strategy that must make the people at Bioware pound their fists against the walls. They spend hours trying to balance their game, only to have some crazy member of the great unwashed think this one up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al61HGGraoc&feature=sub

Oh, sorry. Yes, I think it might be a game-of-the-year contender for me personally. But I actually haven't played that much. I played all night Monday, and a little bit last night, but I've only just arrived at Lothering, and I see, judging from some of the threads I've read at other sites, that a lot of people are already way beyond that. I might not get to play this thing again until Saturday!

But yeah, it's a good game.

Also, I've just read comments from a guy who claims to be concurrently playing through on the PC and the 360 - he believes that the PC version is much harder. He says that on the 360 he's not even being challenged. I thought that was pretty interesting.

And take a look at this - here's the type of strategy that must make the people at Bioware pound their fists against the walls. They spend hours trying to balance their game, only to have some crazy member of the great unwashed think this one up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al61HGGraoc&feature=sub

Wow, just WOW! I'm totally gonna do that when I get the game. Running around in circles FTW!

I can't wait to see what mods can do for this game. Mods were the saving grace for Fallout 3, at least for me, so with a game that's already got amazing gameplay like DA:O, im curious as to what the modding community can do to add flavor.

Question, I decided against going 2 handed weapons but I've already bought one skill from the 2 handed skill tree. Is it worth re-rolling to get the extra skill back? Has anyone else gone 2 handed weapons? I liked the damage but the attack is too slow and I was getting beat on. Thanks.

Question, I decided against going 2 handed weapons but I've already bought one skill from the 2 handed skill tree. Is it worth re-rolling to get the extra skill back? Has anyone else gone 2 handed weapons? I liked the damage but the attack is too slow and I was getting beat on. Thanks.

Those aren't Skills, they're Talents.

You only get 8 skills in the entire game. Your Talents, on the other hand, are continuously being upgraded throughout the game. I don't think it's a deal-breaker if you make a mistake every now and then, but some of the Talents obviously don't work with one another. For example, it's obviously quite silly to invest points in shield talents AND in two-handed weaponry talents - you're either holding a two handed sword, or you're holding a one handed sword and a shield; you can't have it both ways.

I think you should probably just keep going, and live with the minor mistakes you make in leveling up - for me, that's part of the fun.

The game isn't anything like a hack n' slash, correct? Nothing like Titan Quest?

I'm on the fence about this game, I didn't like Baldur's Gate or NWN at all.

The game isn't anything like a hack n' slash, correct? Nothing like Titan Quest?

Yeah save yourself some cash. This game is not for you.

Go for Torchlight instead (that's on my list after I finish Dragon Age), if you're looking for something like Titan's Quest/Diablo. Apparently it's made by some of the former people on the Diablo team.

Last edited:
Well once again I jumped on bandwagons and found that it just wasn't for me after all. Got hyped up with all the Dragon Age stuff and I decided I had to give it a shot. Played for several hours last night and a few this morning and I was pretty much done. Biowares has done an exceptional job with the voice acting, story telling, characters and atmosphere, I can't gripe about those, wonderfully done from what i've seen and played. I loved KOTOR and Mass Effect to death but this...this is to hardcore RPG for me.

Unfortuantly, i've been spoiled by Fallout 3, Oblivion and others that let me free rome and let me do whatever, whenver and however I feel like. I don't like being "trapped" in a RPG rail system, no matter how big its. It was so annoying to be in the forest and I wanted to go explore a ruin or an area only to find the "invisible wall of denied" to stop me. Lame lame lame is all I have to say to that. What the hell is the point of a huge world if your following a farking trail the entire time? Cmon....

The combat system is definently different then im used to. Never played Baldurs gate, but I assume this is how the hardcore RPG fanantics like to control their attacks, parties and what not. Thanks but no thanks, give me oblivions and fallout 3 control scheme any day of the week, including the ability to just simply click a hot key and fire the damn spell or arrow instead of this left click, right click back and forth crap

I can see why so many people were looking forward to this game, it definently has its merits, but it aint for me. My 1 day old collectors edition will be up for sale today so someone else can enjoy it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466225

Have fun with Dragon Age you hardcore RPGer's, i'll go back to my more "modest" and "consoled" down RPG's that I prefer. Gonna go buy the expansion packs to Fallout 3 and have a blast *literally*

Well once again I jumped on bandwagons and found that it just wasn't for me after all. Got hyped up with all the Dragon Age stuff and I decided I had to give it a shot. Played for several hours last night and a few this morning and I was pretty much done. Biowares has done an exceptional job with the voice acting, story telling, characters and atmosphere, I can't gripe about those, wonderfully done from what i've seen and played. I loved KOTOR and Mass Effect to death but this...this is to hardcore RPG for me.

Unfortuantly, i've been spoiled by Fallout 3, Oblivion and others that let me free rome and let me do whatever, whenver and however I feel like. I don't like being "trapped" in a RPG rail system, no matter how big its. It was so annoying to be in the forest and I wanted to go explore a ruin or an area only to find the "invisible wall of denied" to stop me. Lame lame lame is all I have to say to that. What the hell is the point of a huge world if your following a farking trail the entire time? Cmon....

The combat system is definently different then im used to. Never played Baldurs gate, but I assume this is how the hardcore RPG fanantics like to control their attacks, parties and what not. Thanks but no thanks, give me oblivions and fallout 3 control scheme any day of the week, including the ability to just simply click a hot key and fire the damn spell or arrow instead of this left click, right click back and forth crap

I can see why so many people were looking forward to this game, it definently has its merits, but it aint for me. My 1 day old collectors edition will be up for sale today so someone else can enjoy it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466225

Have fun with Dragon Age you hardcore RPGer's, i'll go back to my more "modest" and "consoled" down RPG's that I prefer. Gonna go buy the expansion packs to Fallout 3 and have a blast *literally*

Not shipping to Canada?

Also, cant you also provide your char account info so the next person will have the special items also?

Anyone running Dragon Age with 5770? If so, could you tell me what resolution you are runing at and how it's running for you?

Those aren't Skills, they're Talents.

You only get 8 skills in the entire game. Your Talents, on the other hand, are continuously being upgraded throughout the game. I don't think it's a deal-breaker if you make a mistake every now and then, but some of the Talents obviously don't work with one another. For example, it's obviously quite silly to invest points in shield talents AND in two-handed weaponry talents - you're either holding a two handed sword, or you're holding a one handed sword and a shield; you can't have it both ways.

I think you should probably just keep going, and live with the minor mistakes you make in leveling up - for me, that's part of the fun.

Ah, talents, that was it. Did I read at this forum that dual wielding isn't that good? I notice that the dwarf fighter starts with some dual wielding.

Everyone is different. I have enjoyed every single one of my Bioware experiences. Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. Now I have that nagging feeling of wanting to rush home and play Dragon Age. These have genuinely felt more immersive to me than the action RPGs like Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I completed Fallout 3's main quest but couldn't complete Oblivion's.

You should probably try Risen then.

Freezebyte, I would love to see Bioware create on open-world RPG. They've never done it before, and I just think that maybe they're holding themselves back a bit for this reason. I've advanced this idea at a few other forums, and people haven't responded too positively - their idea has always been that Bioware makes games that aren't open world... end of discussion.

That said, Dragon Age is much more open than any Bioware game to date. But yeah, I personally understand what you're saying.

I agree about Risen. Try that. It's a great open world game. Not as large as I would've liked, but still very, very nice.

Last edited:
Another question. Do most of your dialog questions affect your 'alignment', or how people react to you? I just started to try a dwarven commoner and some of the dialog options are gritty and I'd like to experiment but I wanted to go for an overall "good" first play through.

Also, with my human noble I was going for most points into STR so I could do 2H weapons easier. Dwarves start with different base stats I think, so should I fill in other stats as well as put a point or two into STR when I level? Thanks.

There is no "alignment". What you do does affect how your party members react to you and how the story progresses, but you cant choose The Dark Side, so to speak.

Yeah, the origin stories are crazy addictive. I played through Dwarf Classless and Human Noble last night. I'm seriously torn between starting another origin or continuing on to actually play the game.

Tried the Dalish elf origin story today. Was pretty fun. So far my favorite has been the Dwarf Noble. I'm going to try a human rogue next and go rogue.

Anyone running Dragon Age with 5770? If so, could you tell me what resolution you are runing at and how it's running for you?

Running it on my XFX 5770 and with all details turned up and running at 1920x1080 it runs smooth as silk.

Any Nvidia users here having issues forcing AF? I'm pretty sure my problems with that last night were stemming from my use of older drivers (186's?) "Dragon Age" was listed as a profile, and I tried changing my settings on that, as well as the for the .exe for the game launcher, and no luck (that I could see in the game, anyways.) Everything looked overly bloomy at times too, but I've heard that disabling frame buffer can help with that.

Eh, I'll probably upgrade to the betas that have better Dragon Age SLI support (I'm not using SLI, but I figure there are probably other optimizations in there.)

Awesome game though, the graphical settings are a minor gripe really :)

There is a way to set your AF through the modification of an .ini file.. kind of like Mass Effect.

Go to C:\User\Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age\Settings

There is a file called DragonAge.ini

Search for the line AnisotropicFilteringLevel=0 > change to AnisotropicFilteringLevel=16 or whatever you think your system can handle.

You can also turn on trilinear filtering by changing UseTrilinearFiltering=0 to UseTrilinearFiltering=1

Ah nice, I'll have to try the .ini tweak first (even though newer drivers probably couldn't hurt.)

the game isn't very hardware taxing. the only time i notice any slowdown is in huge battles and even then its not that bad. and that's with 8x AA

The game is awesome... but the text is soooo small at 2560X1600... The Codex is cool, but reading a wall of text a couple of mm high is not so cool... :)

Is there a way to change something somewhere to make the text bigger?

the game isn't very hardware taxing. the only time i notice any slowdown is in huge battles and even then its not that bad. and that's with 8x AA

Means nothing without hardware specs.

The game is awesome... but the text is soooo small at 2560X1600... The Codex is cool, but reading a wall of text a couple of mm high is not so cool... :)

Is there a way to change something somewhere to make the text bigger?

I'm hoping for the same thing. I can barely read it at 1920x1080...and when I scale it down to 1280x720, it's still much smaller than the equivalent UI on the consoles at the same resolution.

Turned 16x AF and Triliner Filtering on in the ini files and set CCC to Adaptive Multisampling AA and the game still runs perfectly smooth at 1920x1200 all settings maxed, 8xAA. Tried setting it to Supersampling AA at 8x, but the game really slowed down.

Back