Dragon Age... just wow

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay I know this game has been out for awhile... I never picked it up before now because, well, it was an EA game. Never thought anything EA did was good. Yes I know it wasn't made by EA, but still, it was an EA game.

At any rate, I have been playing RPGs since Ultima III and was totally blown away by DA. Definitely in my top 5 of all time, and I've been playing PC games for almost 30 years. IMO, better than KoToR or yes, dare say, even BG (okay well at least tied). The immersion was phenomenal, the quests and dialog well thought out - in short, a true story that obviously had serious thought, love, and attention behind it. I didn't think they made games like this anymore. Mass Effect was the closest in recent years, but DA was at a whole new level. Other than Gothic II Gold, I can't remember the last RPG I played more than once. This game will get at least one more. 87 hours... wow. Every bit sucked me in. Had I known DA was going to be like this, it would have been a day 1 purchase. Shame reviews say DA2 kinda sold out, games of this caliber just don't come around very often. There's always a team with a vision, but it never lasts... too bad DA2 couldn't have been what BG II was to BG.

For now, I have Awakening to look forward to. Here's hoping DA3 is a return to what DA was, but I'm not holding my breath (perhaps EA won't be the publisher!)

DA: Origins was in development LONG before EA acquired Bioware. Since EA owns Bioware in its entirety now, there isn't a chance in hell they won't publish DA3. On a side note, DA2 was entirely under the purview of EA...

yup, real shame whats happening to bioware, they used to kick total ass, hell 3 of my top 10 games (mass effect, dragon age, kotor) were made by them. EA is just a parasite that has to suck out originality to favor efficiency.

i just hope they dont make changes to me3 like they did with da2

da2 is a good game just not the squel most were expecting i think

da2 is a good game just not the squel most were expecting i think

i think it will be less likely given the fact that the RPG elements were vastly slimmed down in ME2 and the combat was more or less FPS with a couple "spells," which is hard to dumb down.

if you have any concerns about me3 this might clear some things up. Still not 100% sure to what extent itll be dumbed, or smarted, but good to hear they are at least admitting me2 was a bit dumbed http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podca...al-edition-podcast-mass-effect-3-q-amp-a.aspx

my main problem with me2 was the main plot was dumbed down to make way for side plots, but im guessing that wont be the case for the final chapter

To the OP, it's not that suprising Dragon Age is a good game when you consider it's made by Bioware. It was interesting to see you list your favorite games/best rpgs since a lot of them were made by Bioware, excluding Ultima III obviously. Bioware basically continued their tradition of mostly hit games. The only recent exception being ME2/DA2 imo; the post-EA buyout era.

my main problem with me2 was the main plot was dumbed down to make way for side plots, but im guessing that wont be the case for the final chapter

My main problem was the side plots were very ....linear. So linear they didn't make up for the almost non-existant main-storyline. There's what, 3 main storyline missions in total versus 20 side-quests(2 per character)? All of ME2 felt very ...linear. Recruit person A. Person A has crisis. Solve person A's crisis by landing on persons A's homeplanet. Kill some stuff. Repeat, 10 times.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game was a bit more 'open world'. All the missions had the same level design...more or less. A small conversation explaining why your killing group b. After, you go through an extremely boring linear maze. You really had basically the choice of going 'left' or 'right' down a hallway and one direction that generally lead to a dead-end within 3 seconds of walking. Leaving you with 'ohh, turn around and go straight forward' until the next cutscene and/or killing 3 extremely easy robots.

It felt like I was constantly just wondering down hallways towards the next milestone soley for the sake of reaching the 'cheese' that is the final mission. The final mission was kind of fun but .... yeah. Overall, it felt a bit like a choir. Like I was interacting with a really good looking fmv without much gameplay. I always went through all the dialogue options b/c Iw as worried about missing out on Paragon points. The investigate topics/dialogue was pretty boring through.

It's nice to hear Bioware admit that ME2/DA2 were dumbed down and hopefully ME3/DA3 might be back somewhere near the originals in quality.

Dragon Age Origins is one of those games that was amazing from start to finish. Enter Dragon Age 2 and I asked myself " WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!?"

I liked Dragon Age 2 but, they removed the Dragon Age Origins combat feels. I just run and go start swinging. Dragon Age 2 is to an extent a dumbed down version of Dragon Age Origins. The concept sounded good on paper, but the execution wasn't THAT great. Still a good game, but not a successor to Dragon Age Origins.

Dragon Age Origins is one of those games that was amazing from start to finish. Enter Dragon Age 2 and I asked myself " WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!?"

I liked Dragon Age 2 but, they removed the Dragon Age Origins combat feels. I just run and go start swinging. Dragon Age 2 is to an extent a dumbed down version of Dragon Age Origins. The concept sounded good on paper, but the execution wasn't THAT great. Still a good game, but not a successor to Dragon Age Origins.
My experience with DA2 was even more brief...

I was only able to muster a "THE FUCK!?!!?" before pressing escape, exiting the game, and I haven't turned it back on since.

There are so many other great titles out there, I don't need to waste my time w/ DA2.

DA Origins is fantastic though, one of my favorite titles, and that probably didn't help with such high expectations for a sequel.

DA:O is one of the most solid RPGs of modern times, IMO. It's the only real decent AAA attempt at recreating the old Baldurs Gate feeling and it for the most part it nails it, there was some room for improvement as always but it's a solid purchase.

DA2 is a massive sell out, it really sullies the good name of DA:O, if you loved DA:O do yourself a favour and avoid DA2, I know you think it's tempting and how wrong can they really go? Trust me it's just better to be ignorant to DA2's existence.

DA3+ will no doubt be the sell out that DA2 was so I have zero expectations at this point for any decent continuation of the series.

DA:O is one of the most solid RPGs of modern times, IMO. It's the only real decent AAA attempt at recreating the old Baldurs Gate feeling and it for the most part it nails it, there was some room for improvement as always but it's a solid purchase.

DA2 is a massive sell out, it really sullies the good name of DA:O, if you loved DA:O do yourself a favour and avoid DA2, I know you think it's tempting and how wrong can they really go? Trust me it's just better to be ignorant to DA2's existence.

DA3+ will no doubt be the sell out that DA2 was so I have zero expectations at this point for any decent continuation of the series.

+111111

Wife and I ran DA:O and DLC multiple times. Time spent playing DA2?? zero. Absolutely no interest in this one.

I just bought it and I have to say. What the FUCK is up with the bull shit small text. I run at 1080P and the font is too damn small. Mods that screw up other parts of the game just to make the text not a blur and the only way to play the game right with readable text is to lower the damn resolution to the 720P.

Seriously WTF at all these review and not one damn mention at how I have to face fuck my display to read the damn text.

I just bought it and I have to say. What the FUCK is up with the bull shit small text. I run at 1080P and the font is too damn small. Mods that screw up other parts of the game just to make the text not a blur and the only way to play the game right with readable text is to lower the damn resolution to the 720P.

Seriously WTF at all these review and not one damn mention at how I have to face fuck my display to read the damn text.

Not trolling, but you may want to look for eye ware. The text is small but completely readable.

Console? I never noticed an issue on the PC @ high res. Just curious.

I played the demo for DA2and could barely stomach that. I thought it was horrible. DA:O was pretty damn fun. Spent about 90 hours in it.

I loved DA:O as it was one of my favorite games. Although I enjoyed DA2 as well :eek: Yup, I said it... DA2 was actually a good game - not a successor to DA:O, but stands well enough on it's own merits.

Now must wait for Witcher 2 - so close, I can taste it.

It wouldn't bother me at all as IMO ME2 sucks. One thing I find interesting is the comments about EA's involvement being the downfall of so many games, which I agree with. This doesn't bode well for The Old Republic at all...

Last edited:
Dragon Age 2 was definitely a MASSIVE step down, but it wasn't absolutely horrible.
While Mass Effect 2 counter balanced RPG elements (well...mainly just the inventory) with better shooting mechanics, Dragon Age 2 didn't really improve much of anything except the graphics in a few spots.
Still, it did still feel like Dragon Age, just streamlined in the wrong places. I'd say it's not a horrible purchase if it's on sale.

I bought this Monday on Steams sale. Picked up the Ultimate Edition for $20. Usually not into RPG's but tried Mass Effect 1 and 2 and absolutely loved them. Figured since everybody raves about DA:O, its gotta be worth checking out.

A lot of the aspects of DA:O was on par with BG, with a few exceptions. I thought BG felt much more open world, which is very important to me in an RPG. Also, BG has a much larger variety of items available. I also liked the side quest in the BG series much more than the essential 'quest vendor' in DA:O. Quest NPC's/Boards that hand out quest like MMO's should not be present in single player RPG's, or at least not be the primary means of side-quest.

I just started my 2nd playthrough on Hard for the Ultimate Edition. The beginning of the game feels slow up to Lothering but I'm looking forward to hitting the DLC I didn't get around to doing (Golems of Amgarrak & Witch Hunt)

Come on guys. Yes DA2 is dumbed down compared to DA:O. But it is certainly far from unplayable.

When not compared directly to its predecessor, DA2 contains great graphics, awesome voice acting, a well paced interesting story and exciting combat.

Play DA2 as a mage on hard or nightmare and it is a fun and engaging experience.Yes, it is "DA:O Lite (tm)" but that doesn't mean it isn't playable.

In my opinion ME > DA:O > DA2 > ME2

I think the absolute hatred for Dragon Age 2 is probably similar to the hate for Crysis 2 and Mass Effect 2. They were definitely console-developed, so people are going after them more than they deserve. That said, I think Crysis 2 is actually a good game that improved on its predecessor while I think the graphics are literally the only improvement in DA2. Mass Effect 2 definitely played better than #1 (and they killed those horrid Mako missions) at the cost of killing of the inventory options much like Dragon Age 2. I can only guess EA is pushing this kind of move.

I'm thrilled that ME3 has been delayed. Another 3-4 months to cook could make a huge difference in negating the EA effect.... ideally they'd spend the time to come up with something fun instead of planet scanning.

It is unfair to say that DA2 is the worst game to be released and is unplayable.

Its just the worst mainstream title in the last eight years or so, and it can be played quite readily, just not enjoyed.

anyone know if its the same team working on me3 who worked on da2? I certainly hope not.

I got 100 hours of gameplay out of DA1 over two playthroughs.

Pity the direction they took with DA2.

anyone know if its the same team working on me3 who worked on da2? I certainly hope not.

The Dragon Age and Mass Effect teams at Bioware are completely separate. I know because my cousin is on the Dragon Age team and worked on both 1 and 2.

The Dragon Age and Mass Effect teams at Bioware are completely separate. I know because my cousin is on the Dragon Age team and worked on both 1 and 2.

Was he happy with the direction EA took from 1 to 2?

i really enjoyed DA2. i thought the demo sucks but once you actually get in a ways it really turns out to be a good game.

I guess im in the minority of not liking Dragon Age....

:p

I think the absolute hatred for Dragon Age 2 is probably similar to the hate for Crysis 2 and Mass Effect 2. They were definitely console-developed, so people are going after them more than they deserve. That said, I think Crysis 2 is actually a good game that improved on its predecessor while I think the graphics are literally the only improvement in DA2. Mass Effect 2 definitely played better than #1 (and they killed those horrid Mako missions) at the cost of killing of the inventory options much like Dragon Age 2. I can only guess EA is pushing this kind of move.

There isn't anywhere near the same hate for Mass Effect 2 as there was for DA2 or Crysis 2. ME2 managed to evolve the franchise in a mostly good direction and kept the story the prime focus of the game. I think even most of the jaded PC gamers were able to look past ME2's flaws simply for its better flow and involved story.

Crysis 2 was shit because its from a jaded developer that can't seem to do anything but blame piracy for there bad game design (smoke and lens flare does not impress me over actual use of pixel shaders) and its story line also was garbage and recycled.

DA2 was a huge deviation from the original and took place in one fucking map. Its story was also flimsy and vapid of any real depth and didn't have much to do at all with the original game. Not to mention the huge change to combat that ended up making battles just plain boring and buggy.

DA:O was just so full of depth and the story was pretty damn good too. It had a directive plot that gave you a forward goal and you had more freedom to make choices that actually had lasting impacts later on the game instead of cosmetic ones. The characters were a lot more interesting and the game mechanics flowed better even if they were chaotic at times ..they worked. Its replay value was pretty high because you could choose to be a different race from a different class that give different archs in any conversation unlike DA2 were you are forced to be one kind of individual with little deviation.

But as its been pointed out , DA:O was in development a long time before EA had any involvement with Bioware. All we can do now is hope ME3 won't be a giant fucking mess.

DA2 was a huge deviation from the original and took place in one fucking map. Its story was also flimsy and vapid of any real depth and didn't have much to do at all with the original game. Not to mention the huge change to combat that ended up making battles just plain boring and buggy.

Also, the writing was complete shit. The pop culture references made me sick. "I like big boats, and I cannot lie"? Fuck you David Gaydar.

Was he happy with the direction EA took from 1 to 2?

Devs are often strangely divorced from the games they make. Because he's worked on the franchise for like 5 years straight, he is sick of it and doesn't even want to play them. The sense of surprise/immersion/novelty just isn't there because you already know about most everything that happens. That's really the problem with a lot of games. The guys making the game get the job done and the playtesters, QA department, beta testers, etc. are the ones responsible for seeing how good a game actually is before release.

Wow I can't believe how different my viewpoint is from so many of you. I guess the general consensus is what they did to ME2 was ok while what they did to DA2 was not ok.

What they did to ME2 was make it a piece of shit. I completed ME1 about 8 times and worked to get every acheivement. I loved that game.

I played ME2 through once and quite about 1 hour into my second play through because it was bland and boring. What many people call streamlined I refer to as boring. They took the heart out of ME when they dumbed it down like that. The decisions don't really matter the characters were flat and the plot.. give me a break!

Shepard dies and is reborn by Cerberus in the begining of ME2 - WTF does any of that have to do with anything? In the end of ME1 the player made some heavy decisions about the future of the galaxy and it doesn't even make a dent in the story for ME2. What you have is evidence that they took the story in a direction that would allow newbs to come in without knowing the previous games plot.

I ask you: What is so wrong with making a direct sequel that requires at minimum you to have at an understanding of the previous game's plot? From a marketing standpoint doesn't that mean you could sell more of the original or novelize the original for newbs to catch up?

I won't even mention the dumbed down mechanics. ME2 is not ok. It was not acceptable. It was utter garbage compared to ME1.

DA2 at least didn't even try to be a direct sequel. it's more like an action spin off. And I liked it. In fact I am playing it for a second time and enjoying it the same.

I wish DA:O wasn't a 20gb game because I want to do a second playthrough but I dont have room on my SSD.

The general vibe im getting is:

DA:O = Supreme Commander 1

DA2 = Supreme Commander 2

As in 1st game good, second game wtf is this tripe

I bought this Monday on Steams sale. Picked up the Ultimate Edition for $20. Usually not into RPG's but tried Mass Effect 1 and 2 and absolutely loved them. Figured since everybody raves about DA:O, its gotta be worth checking out.

I bought DA:O when it first came out based on my love for Mass Effect, but never got into it. Thinking I might have to give it another shot sometime.

LOL

Where were all of the DA2 haters in the other DA2 threads. Suddenly they are all out of the woodwork.

It's hard to find people that loved DA:O and loved DA2. It seems like most people like one and dislike the other (or outright love one and hate the other).

I'm glad I never pre-ordered it. It was clear from feedback and reviews that they gutted the heart of what I liked about DA:O. Is it a good game? Sure It sounds like if you like action RPGs and not micro managing your people, you'll like it. I think that's why reviewers liked it - they play everything.

For a lot of us that love the old W-RPG style - like Baldur's Gate...and that aren't fans of action-RPGs - I think we all share our intense dislike of DA2.
DA:O was my favorite RPG in years (probably favorite since Baldur's Gate II). *sigh*

Back