Dragon Age III: Inquisition announced!!!!

Personally, I don't like the health potion system and shield system. DA:O combat was more my style; you avoided things with positioning and then healed what you couldn't avoid. This game I feel obligated to spam a shield on cooldown just "incase" something gets through the tank's shield as I don't feel like using a LIMITED health potion.

I'm playing on nightmare and the limited potion hasn't been an issue. Use the tactical mode and commands to control your party. It helps alot.

In DA:O I could just try and avoid things and then heal if I needed to. After the fight I could mana/heal up very quickly. In this game I feel like I'm punished for taking any damage since the only way I've come across so far to restore health is potions.

Uh use Solas or Vivienne or Dorian or any mage heal spell but at level six you may not have it yet. At level 6 you shouldn't be using that many potions. If your in a lvl 12 area then your in the wrong spot. I didn't leave the Hinterlands until 8 or so. I did venture into Storm Coast for a bit. It sounds like your trying to force your way into areas you probably shouldn't be in just yet.

I don't think people are "bitching" for no reason; it's just not as fun of a combat system for SOME people.

Different strokes for different folks; however, I can't disagree more with the complaints of it feeling like an mmo or that it is too easy. Complaining about the UI or the tactical mode is one thing but comparing it to an mmo? Really?

Different strokes for different folks; however, I can't disagree more with the complaints of it feeling like an mmo or that it is too easy. Complaining about the UI or the tactical mode is one thing but comparing it to an mmo? Really?

I don't think ppl are trying to troll the game here. In fact, most of the non-positive comments here have been rather well-stated and posters have understood that there are different strokes, as it were.

I will respectfully disagree with you, however, in that the game doesn't feel like an MMO -- it absolutely does in some parts e.g. kill/fetch quests, burn down/return to base to resupply, pan to convo at times feeling very much WoW, AoC, GW2. I suspect they went this direction to facilitate the huge amount of content in the game.

As for the tactical mode, it just doesn't have the crispness or satisfying feeling that DA:O had -- maybe the action is just too frenetic to line up actions properly. Whereas the tactics in DA:O felt a bit like chess in that you could envision sequencing a couple steps ahead, DA: I action is too entropy heavy.

All in all, still a terrific game.

I'm loving the game, but I fully understand how/why someone might not. No matter how used to the combat there's something not quite "right" about it. I just doesn't feel polished in the strategic mode. Still, I rarely end up using that mode and I love the game in spite of that. To me the Witcher 2 always felt a wee bit clunky and I still liked that one, too.

I'm playing on nightmare and the limited potion hasn't been an issue. Use the tactical mode and commands to control your party. It helps alot.

Uh use Solas or Vivienne or Dorian or any mage heal spell but at level six you may not have it yet. At level 6 you shouldn't be using that many potions. If your in a lvl 12 area then your in the wrong spot. I didn't leave the Hinterlands until 8 or so. I did venture into Storm Coast for a bit. It sounds like your trying to force your way into areas you probably shouldn't be in just yet.

there is a lot of content that is MMO like which doesn't bother me

in terms of combat, if people are playing at a difficulty level where going into Tactical Mode isn't a necessity, then DA:I combat can very much play like a MMO

I'm playing on Nightmare as well, so Tactical Camera is very much a necessity

trying to CC via Flashfire Fear and having the AI follow it up with auto attacks knocking the target immediately out of Fear is absolutely infuriating though

Last edited:
Still the Origins comparisons keep coming. And still I don't see what's so good about that game. It's a boring elongated tedious game, I scored iz 6/10 when it was released. If anything should be cited as a positive example is Awakenings, which is way better in many things.

I'm playing on nightmare and the limited potion hasn't been an issue. Use the tactical mode and commands to control your party. It helps alot

This is a fair point and probably something I need to try. I was told that the keyboard and mouse controls were awful so I was playing it on my big TV with an xbox360 controller and the tactical mode just wasn't working for me. Part of the issue is that I couldn't zoom out far enough, but it might be better with a keyboard/mouse, I'll have to try it.

I didn't see any real healing spells when I looked at the spirit tree, but I'll look again. I've only put ~4-6 hours in and I last played on Saturday morning so it's been a bit. And I'm not in a level 12 area, that's the thing. I was fighting level 7-8 undead, a little higher than me but not bad. Then I hit a random rift and it's level 12 mobs that one shot the tank I have. Same thing happened in hinterlands as I was getting near the farm, everything was around my level but then there's a random rift with level 12 mobs, one of which is the "terror" that hits hard and warps in underneath you and knocks you down (but it seems like you can run out of his range), and the other was a ranged one that spit ice that ate HP.

Going to have to disagree, atleast for the hinterlands. It's exactly like an MMO, it plays just like Guild Wars 2 (quest wise) from what I played of both. Every 100 feet there's a new, seemingly random quest to get some cough syrup from the ONE guy who can make it, find a missing scout, or find a skull and collect some fragments of something. Very MMO like.

Uh use Solas or Vivienne or Dorian or any mage heal spell but at level six you may not have it yet.

I have the spirit tree fully unlocked and there is no heal spell to speak of. Care to elaborate on this mysterious heal spell location?

I am a Level 13 mage and haven't seen a single heal spell. There are none AFAIK, and IIRC they removed them from the game. And Vivienne, hmm I haven't run into her yet I think I might have missed that one, now I have to go look for her cause it's going to bother me that I am missing a potential party member :)

This is a fair point and probably something I need to try. I was told that the keyboard and mouse controls were awful so I was playing it on my big TV with an xbox360 controller and the tactical mode just wasn't working for me. Part of the issue is that I couldn't zoom out far enough, but it might be better with a keyboard/mouse, I'll have to try it.

I didn't see any real healing spells when I looked at the spirit tree, but I'll look again. I've only put ~4-6 hours in and I last played on Saturday morning so it's been a bit. And I'm not in a level 12 area, that's the thing. I was fighting level 7-8 undead, a little higher than me but not bad. Then I hit a random rift and it's level 12 mobs that one shot the tank I have. Same thing happened in hinterlands as I was getting near the farm, everything was around my level but then there's a random rift with level 12 mobs, one of which is the "terror" that hits hard and warps in underneath you and knocks you down (but it seems like you can run out of his range), and the other was a ranged one that spit ice that ate HP.

Going to have to disagree, atleast for the hinterlands. It's exactly like an MMO, it plays just like Guild Wars 2 (quest wise) from what I played of both. Every 100 feet there's a new, seemingly random quest to get some cough syrup from the ONE guy who can make it, find a missing scout, or find a skull and collect some fragments of something. Very MMO like.

Usually 1 or 2 of the rifts in a clear rift quest are higher levels then the mobs around them. And there aren't any healing skills, potions are it.

The quests you find in the Hinterlands are pretty much like every other non-main quest area. Personally I'm about 90 hours into a play through (My next main quest is What Pride had Wrought) and getting tired of side quests. The main story is good so far and I really like some of the companion quests but the random side quests do feel like MMO quests. I'm finding them tedious.

I want to skip them but unsure if they have any impact on the epilogue or not so I keep doing them.

The heal spell they are referring too is probably the Revival spell.

You summon spirits to heal fallen allies in the area, getting them back on their feet and fighting again.

I want to skip them but unsure if they have any impact on the epilogue or not so I keep doing them.

You just hit the nail on the head for my downside in this game. Combat is a little clunkier than prior games - but I can deal with that. What I disliked was your choices had, seemingly little effect on the ending. Sure, the big stuff changes. But the small stuff? Not even a slide. How about if you went through the trouble of really fine tuning your Dragon Age Keep settings? Sure, some changes in the game but really meh when it comes to any cumulative effect on the ending slides. I think I got around 5 slides?

Some of the keep imported stuff seems broken. While all of my DA2 stuff imported nicely, my DA1 and Awakenings choices were shakily imported at best.

I am guessing they are referring to a KE's focus skill, which is a group heal/revival.

Yeah, but who wants to use focus to heal some damage after a fight? Doesn't seem to make much sense, it's an in-fight ability.

And as someone who played through DA:O many times on the hardest difficulties, I'm not sure how people are getting so tactical in DA:I. I have serious problems getting the characters to follow more than one minor command at a time, and particular issues with ranged characters running right into the thick of things.

I know. Perhaps he has confused the barrier spell with a heal spell? Playing on nightmare for any period of time, you think he would know better.

No confusion I have 2 mages in my party that can heal during a fight plus Vivienne's ultimate. Solas can cc pretty any group of mobs and heal using revival. It is the bottom right spell in the spirt tree iirc.

Also if you consider quests in a game to be mmoish I find that fairly asinine. That would be like saying skyrim or new Vegas are mmos. I guess I just look at the quests differently. To me they feel the same as the first dragon age and I don't remember a lot of complaints about it there.

The combat is definitely clunker than the first and tactical mode takes a lot of work to get used to but it isn't all that bad on a controller especially if you upgrade it via perks.

Full Patch Notes

Code:
Release date: December 9, 2014

Singleplayer

Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender
Fixed case where users who changed their voice off of default, would have their voice set back to default when interacting with Hawke’s chargen settings.
Increased duration that search highlights things, and added highlighted items to radar while they are highlighted.
Fixed several conversation lines which would take a very long time to advance to the next line unless they were manually skipped.
Fixed case where followers could float above the ground after extended periods of play
[PC] Fixed some hitching in conversations.
[PC] Pressing the interact key (default “F”) will take everything from containers.
[PC] Hair should be less shiny on lower quality settings.
[PC] Added ability to rotate character models with the mouse in UI’s that show character models
[PC] Added an option to enable / disable tactical camera on mouse wheel scroll out.
[PC] Hiding the HUD on the PC will now hide all UI elements
[PC] Fixed being able to drag abilities from a tree that was not selected onto the quickbar
[PC] Fixed being able to toggle UI state for the tactical camera on the quickbar when the tactical camera is unusable
[PC] Fixed case where clicking quickbar elements in Eyefinity would trigger attacks
[PC] fixed case where extra mouse-up events were triggering in UIs
[PC] Fixed issue where mouse-up events were missed when dragging off of UI elements and then releasing the mouse button
[PC] Fixed loading Icon not animating while Mantle creates shaders during load screens.
[PC] Fixed mouse cursor flashing while targeting AOEs
[PC] Fixed situation that could result in a hang on the start menu.
[PC] Fixed situation where war table could become non-interactive until users right clicked on it.
[PC] Fixed situation which could cause mouse-look to snap to a facing rather than turning smoothly
[PC] Holding right click and pressing the camera turn buttons in tactical camera will cause the cursor to strafe in the same manner the camera behaves outside tactical camera
[PC] Made some changes that should improve Mantle performance
[PC] quickbar indicator for pause state should no longer remain highlighted when game is not paused
[PS3] Increased number of save slots to 30
[PS4] Improved conversation performance during fast install
[PS4] Increased number of save slots to 50
[360] Fixed case where movies sometimes decoded incorrectly
[360] Fixed Crash when selecting storage device when select storage device warning is present
[360] Fixed the online connection error being displayed twice when attempting to login to Origin with no Xbox live connection.
Assorted stability improvements
Fixed crash that could occur after some conversations
Certain boss creatures are now immune to Disruption Field
Creatures in rag doll will now pause when the game is paused
Fix to Spirit Blade so it longer triggers combos
Fixed a couple focus abilities to be weapon agnostic
Fixed a few DA Keep world state import reactivity checks.
Fixed a few situations that could result in there being no conversation selection indicator during conversations
Fixed an issue caused by changing characters at the same as targeting an AOE ability
Fixed Audio cutting out when using AOE abilities while radial menu is open.
Fixed being unable to finish quest “Safe Keeping” if the user places key fragments in the forger, then leaves the zone without getting the finished key.
Fixed camera shaking when making small camera adjustments during character creation
Fixed case where blizzard would pause the game when it turns off
Fixed case where controller rumble would get permanently disabled
Fixed case where Imshael could end up in a location where players could not fight him.
Fixed case where interaction text would not update in tactical camera
Fixed case where mana or stamina was incorrectly displayed on mounted character’s portraits
Fixed case where users could get stuck loading a save in a certain dragon combat area
Fixed case where users could get stuck on an infinite “Connecting to Dragon Age Servers”
Fixed Crippling Blows to have a 15% damage bonus instead of .15%
Fixed Cullen’s hair having some strange shadows during cinematics
Fixed exploit that would allow bypassing ability cool-downs in certain circumstances
Fixed exploit that would allow users to take no damage.
Fixed issue where orders to interact with trebuchets made in tactical mode were un-interruptable.
Fixed issue where user loses control of the party if he enters tactical camera at the same time as a cinematic triggers
Fixed issue which could cause potion counts to be reset due to party member changes.
Fixed issue which could result in an infinite “Connecting to Dragon Age Servers” on the main menu.
Fixed issue which could result in the Radial menu not staying open
Fixed issue which could result in the screen re-sizing UI to stop working until exiting and re-entering the screen re-sizing UI.
Fixed scripted autosave in the western approach which was made which if loaded could result in certain NPCs to not show up until after leaving the area and coming back.
Fixed situation where followers could get stuck while pathfinding to the player.
Fixed some of the collectible books being non-interactive in Skyhold
Fixed slot types on several crafted items
Fixed some item names getting cut off in stores
Fixed weapon type on several crafted weapon parts.
Ground rings scale on Dragons in Tactical Camera
Radar will be shown during radar tutorial, even if the UI is set to be hidden
Radar will show way points immediately after coming out of UIs, no longer requires player to move first.
Target lock is cleared when entering tactical mode.
Unified sort order for stat listings during item modification

Multiplayer

[PC] Improved push-to-talk functionality when using keyboard and mouse
Fixed issue which could result in negative XP being granted in some multiplayer matches
Fixed crash that could occur while switching characters in some multiplayer menus
Cursed chests in multiplayer no longer look different from un-cursed ones
Fixed some missing information on end of match screens when servers are slow in Multiplayer.
Fixed Players losing their ability to target when dying while recovering object in multiplayer
Fixed situation where host migration after end of match would fail to show end of match details for the remaining players
Fixed issue with players being interrupted while interacting with objects in Multiplayer
Fixed issue where host can be returned to an empty lobby after quitting out of a match while in the operation failed state
Improved appearance of ledge drop-downs in multiplayer.
Fixed case which could cause keys to not drop in Multiplayer
Fixed case in Multiplayer where players could attempt to use abilities while dead.

Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender

Hope this means that my old mage save with rogue trainers now has mage trainers...I'd like to play him.

I would not be surprised that the gender/class issues do not require a new game to take affect.

Look at this persons character pre and post patch, rofl

edit -- DONT DOWNLOAD THE PC PATCH - a lot of settings are getting effed and graphics are being neutered - loads of issues

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/page-43

i4JE0OE.png

Here is another, rofl

8FaRwvA.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Health Potions

I can carry up to 24 "health/healing" potions on one character. Certain healing potions are AOE. You can carry up to 96 healing potions in your party at one time depending on gear and perks. Seriously guys... go play Dark Souls and then come complain about healing potions :)

If 96 healing potions aren't doing it for you, maybe back the difficulty down a notch or work on your gear a bit ;)

Oh my god those before and after shots....

I patched but I've yet to load the game up and now I'm terrified to do it.

<walks away from DA:I until they patch the patch to undo the "ugly stick" beating that it seems all characters got>

Re: Health Potions

I can carry up to 24 "health/healing" potions on one character. Certain healing potions are AOE. You can carry up to 96 healing potions in your party at one time depending on gear and perks. Seriously guys... go play Dark Souls and then come complain about healing potions :)

If 96 healing potions aren't doing it for you, maybe back the difficulty down a notch or work on your gear a bit ;)

Let me start by saying that DS1 and 2 are my favorite games of all time. I've put well over 1000 hours into the pair.

That said, you can't compare healing mechanics in these two games. With enough skill, you can evade all possible damage in DS and never need a single estus. That's not possible in DAI. There's no skill based dodge.

LOL this will be interesting, I patched it this morning but I haven't checked out how the game is working.

Love that using the search function highlights the items on your minimap now.

Also nice that we finally got a true hide-UI for good screenshots :D.

As the title suggests, rig in signature. Asus 290X is default @ 1050/1350 Global setting set to Ultra, with one change of fade touched textures.

This is running the built in benchmark.

Omega Driver DSR 2560x1440
Mantle MSAA off -> Avg 50.5 Min 38.7
DX11 MSAA off -> Avg 42.5 Min 36

1080p
Mantle 4X MSAA -> Avg 53.1 Min 46.3
DX11 4X MSAA -> Avg 43.6 Min 34.4

I ran each test 3 times and these are the best times. I ran these tests because I honestly expected to replay w/DSR @ 1440. At least for me, mantle 4X MSAA @ 1080p turned out to be the better option. Okay maybe I'm uneducated but I did not expect that.

One final note, I don't really remember the pre-patch benchies I did but I almost want to say it's not mantle that got better, it's almost as if DX11 just got worse...? Dunno, could be I'm mistaken but I seem to remember DX11 being JUST behind mantle for me, like a few frames and that's it.

Last edited:
Enabled Mantle, hadn't been running it because I read about the loadtimes. Holy shit. Load times literally 10x or more with Mantle enabled over DX. Going back ASAP...

Also, damn didn't realize some settings went above Ultra. Fade touched textures...wow.

the women in this game are ugly. they are just reskinned males with male facial animations. It is a bit off putting, especially the scowl thing. the hud locator thing helps. For the rest of the bugs it is simply amazing how many of them in the list I have encountered just playing a couple of days. pc users got a dick in the ass this time around, it must have gone through the bare minimum of testing and bug fixing before release.

the women in this game are ugly. they are just reskinned males with male facial animations. It is a bit off putting, especially the scowl thing. the hud locator thing helps. For the rest of the bugs it is simply amazing how many of them in the list I have encountered just playing a couple of days. pc users got a dick in the ass this time around, it must have gone through the bare minimum of testing and bug fixing before release.

Sans this latest patch my experience with this game has been flawless and this is using a current gen video card.

I installed the patch and it didn't seem to turn any of my characters into raisins.

Back