Dragon Age III: Inquisition announced!!!!

I was curious about that. I might give it a try the next time I play.

I play with my ps3 controller and I'm really enjoying it on PC. Got way to frusterated with trying to figure out a good keyboard layout.

Also I just found out there are subclasses or specializations for each class. But you have to find the quest to get the new skills trees. I was thinking that the skill trees were kind of shallow but not anymore :)

This is what I'm conflicted about. I chose mage due to various recommendations I read about how its good for first playthrough and fits the narrative a little better than the other classes, but the auto-homing projectiles that can be spammed seem a little cheese. I'm normally a sword&board guy in fantasy RPG's and am thinking of restarting with that since I'm not very far in.

Mage is pretty easy. I'm playing as a sword/shield warrior. Early on, it's not the greatest. But once you get to level 9 or so and get some good gear, it really starts to feel solid. You can get a chain that you can hook baddies with and pull them to you, then pound on them. Every time I use the chain, I hear Scorpion in my head say "GET OVER HERE!!!!", lol.

Occasionally I'll control my mage in tough fights to make sure the tanks are getting enough shield, but I mostly play as my guy or Iron Bull. That guy is a stud with a good 1 hander.

I play with my ps3 controller and I'm really enjoying it on PC. Got way to frusterated with trying to figure out a good keyboard layout.

Also I just found out there are subclasses or specializations for each class. But you have to find the quest to get the new skills trees. I was thinking that the skill trees were kind of shallow but not anymore :)

Really? I hadn't heard that. I'm OCD with completing areas, so hopefully I find the sub class quests pretty soon. I'm level 10 now and have like 40 hours in the game. And I haven't even been doing much of the main quest, lol.

Well that makes me really happy. I know I felt like I barely scratched the surface in ~10 hours, now it's confirmed.

Anyone know why they made it so you CANNOT add mouse buttons in key bindings?

That would go a long way to making this better IMO.

Anyone know why they made it so you CANNOT add mouse buttons in key bindings?

That would go a long way to making this better IMO.

Hate it when games restrict certain buttons like that, and I end up having to redo key bindings for every game.

I finally gave up after experiencing this kind of stuff too many times and changed my mouse buttons to regular keyboard keys with the Logitech driver software.

Mage is pretty easy. I'm playing as a sword/shield warrior. Early on, it's not the greatest. But once you get to level 9 or so and get some good gear, it really starts to feel solid. You can get a chain that you can hook baddies with and pull them to you, then pound on them. Every time I use the chain, I hear Scorpion in my head say "GET OVER HERE!!!!", lol.

Occasionally I'll control my mage in tough fights to make sure the tanks are getting enough shield, but I mostly play as my guy or Iron Bull. That guy is a stud with a good 1 hander.

Does the chain work for you? I swear whenever I use it about 99% of the time it doesn't pull anyone to me, it seems like if you aren't on a complete flat surface and there is ANY elevation difference, even just a tiny slight incline it won't pull them.

Does the chain work for you? I swear whenever I use it about 99% of the time it doesn't pull anyone to me, it seems like if you aren't on a complete flat surface and there is ANY elevation difference, even just a tiny slight incline it won't pull them.

Chain works fairly well for me. I think there are some limitations, like can't pull huge mobs to you. But otherwise I'm not have the same issue with it others seem to be.

After trying the controller, I have to say the keyboard/mouse feel extremely clunky. The mouse hover doesn't work right, and gets in the way. There is no walk button, and other things make it feel like an unpolished setup. The controller setup though feels very well done and matches quite well with the UI. The only thing I don't quite understand is how to use a health potion with the controller. It's probably one of the dpad buttons, but how do you tell how many potions are left. One of the worst features is I can't go back and forth between the controller and kb/m setups. You pick one and have to use it until you exit leave the game to the main menu.

Yeah, it has to be pretty level it seems like. And they have to be human sized, and solid. So you can't pull ghosts and stuff. I mainly use it when fighting humans. I'll get a good angle on them, nice and clear, and fire it off. I have pretty good luck with it.

is the benchmark more or less demanding than the game itself?

With it left on auto settings I got 44fps.

Thats 1050p 16:10 resolution
Ultra on most options, but textures is soft touch fade or something and I think one or 2 options were set to high.

GPU gtx 970.

sounds right or bad?

After trying the controller, I have to say the keyboard/mouse feel extremely clunky. The mouse hover doesn't work right, and gets in the way. There is no walk button, and other things make it feel like an unpolished setup. The controller setup though feels very well done and matches quite well with the UI. The only thing I don't quite understand is how to use a health potion with the controller. It's probably one of the dpad buttons, but how do you tell how many potions are left. One of the worst features is I can't go back and forth between the controller and kb/m setups. You pick one and have to use it until you exit leave the game to the main menu.

Press the left bumper. It pauses the game and brings up a radial menu with all your potions.

Running great on my GTX 670

What res and what settings? I have a 4gb 670 with up to date drivers and the tutorial ran okish on everything Ultra, no msaa and regular hbao (I think this is what it's called) @ 1080p but once I got to Haven it turned into slideshow city. Turned everything down to High and it's still a bit choppy at times. :/

is there a place I Can read the very useful hints and tips on the loading screens?: my game loads too fast to read it all.

Also the 60fps is making me dizzy feels too smooth and fast, going to try capping game to 30fps.

is there a place I Can read the very useful hints and tips on the loading screens?: my game loads too fast to read it all.

Also the 60fps is making me dizzy feels too smooth and fast, going to try capping game to 30fps.

Seems like you have some problems that many would be envious of. I wouldn't mind fast loading times and 60fps, that's for sure.

Running Ultra 1080p 2X SMAA .... graphically, runs flawless... a few slowdowns but they're rare and when they do happen it's internet and/or physical HDD.

32 hours in and really haven't done much with the story, so far just clearing areas and side quests. Just arrived at storm coast that area is next.

Seems like you have some problems that many would be envious of. I wouldn't mind fast loading times and 60fps, that's for sure.

running on a 850 pro.

However there is some slow loading screens, ironically those screens dont show the tips e.g. exiting back to menu.

Game seems glitchy, have seen various npc guards, walking slowly into walls and stuff, in a battle the game looked like it hung once but after about a minute suddenly came to life, and just now I exited back to the menu and was browsing it and the game completely froze up, not the pc just the game, I was able to alt-tab back to windows and kill the game manually.

Also wow this game needs a lot of cpu power, nearly all 4 cores of my overclocked haswell maxed out, and people say games arent cpu intensive o_O.

Early thoughts are the game is ok, I dont feel is as good as dragon age 1 so far but most defenitly an improvement over 2, but I may warm to it more after playing it longer.

Regarding the 60fps if I leave it on that it is not constant there is drops, the frame rate fluctuation I think would drive me bonkers even if I got used to 60fps, so for me I think 30fps is best, especially as those used to 60fps are been driven bonkers by the cutscenes whilst the cutscenes for me arent too bad as I am playing at 30fps anyway.

Last edited:
Also wow this game needs a lot of cpu power, nearly all 4 cores of my overclocked haswell maxed out, and people say games arent cpu intensive o_O.

Nah these days most people say one of two things: "The game isn't optimized because its not really maxing my CPU" or "The game isn't optimized because its maxing my CPU". Gone are the Crysis 1 days where men were men and the idea of a game coming along that would bring a system to its knees was met with enthusiasm and a sense of challenge.

Nah these days most people say one of two things: "The game isn't optimized because its not really maxing my CPU" or "The game isn't optimized because its maxing my CPU". Gone are the Crysis 1 days where men were men and the idea of a game coming along that would bring a system to its knees was met with fascination and enthusiasm.

Crysis 1? I remember people bitching constantly about the game being "poorly optimized" for years after it's release. So many people called BS on Crytek's claims of it being developed for future hardware.

Was just reading reviews of this at Amazon and so far it's 2 1/2 stars with most saying it blows.
I had high hopes for this after II.

The major complaint is the way battle is done, camera angle and it's a shitty port from console.

Guess this means DAO will remain excellent and nothing later was any improvement.

eh.. how do you turn in the specialization quest?
got all the mats, and i'm sitting there not knowing who to go to.

Was just reading reviews of this at Amazon and so far it's 2 1/2 stars with most saying it blows.

The major complaint is the way battle is done, camera angle and it's a shitty port from console.

Guess this means DAO will remain excellent and nothing later was any improvement.

Scanning through those, not exactly the most well thought out or rational reviews, they kind of remind me of the ranting and raving of Newegg reviews. Its either 5/5 "great game", or 2/5 "KB/M doesn't work as well as a controller" (duh), or 1/5 with stupid shit like "Its taking so long to download on my slow DSL". Brain surgery on-parade with some of the 1-star people.

Though the gameplay may feel more optimized for a controller since 4 out of the 5 platforms for DA:I are consoles, its not technically a "console port". The Frostbite 3 engine team develops on PC first. It then gets ported to consoles, not the other way around. When they test and make improvements to the engine, its always on PC first because its their primary dev environment. Somehow the actual meaning of a console port has been slowly lost and anything that isn't a 100% PC-only title is automatically labeled a "shitty console port" these days.

Last edited:
I'm nearing level 12 on my female bow-oriented rogue and still haven't cleared Hinterlands after almost 30 hours. Why?
CKGiEXX.jpg

That motherfucker right there.

Actually took around 35-40% off of him, but damn he's powerful.

Third person. The top-down stuff you see for this game is the tactical camera which is terribly awkward for me to use, lol

Yeah, I love how people have problem with very specific hardware, then come on here bashing the whole game. I have 33 hours in the game without a SINGLE issue. And loving the game.

I love how people who have no problems with a specific hardware come here and dismiss other's issues as non-existent or non-important.

Please just crawl back under your rock, and let those speak who have actual advice.

BTW The game runs great, when we take away the issues @ 4K Ultra settings.

I love how people who have no problems with a specific hardware come here and dismiss other's issues as non-existent or non-important.

Please just crawl back under your rock, and let those speak who have actual advice.

Your "advice" is to whine about your crappy AMD hardware. Thanks for the advice. I will continue to buy Nvidia.

Surely a simple patch will fix the camera and controller issues?

They have said they where working on it....I was hoping to see the patch out today. I only played maybe 1/2 an hour of the game and the KB/M controls and camera where driving me crazy.

My play style in DAO was to disable all but the most basic AI heal commands and manually control/queue up every action in fights....not possible in this game.

I guess until that patch is out I can do like most everyone else and lower the difficulty to normal, plug in a controller, and play it like an action game......:(

Yep, same reason I can't finish Hinterlands. Every time I get in that valley I get hit by a giant fireball and attacked by Dragonlings. I tried it when I was lvl 6 or so, and died almost instantly. I'm gonna wait until I get leveled up quite a bit more to take him on. I have Iron Bull now, and I think he will help a lot the next time around.

I just finished up the Sword Coast stuff, and ran into a dragon fighting a giant. Promptly ran. ;)

They have said they where working on it....I was hoping to see the patch out today. I only played maybe 1/2 an hour of the game and the KB/M controls and camera where driving me crazy.

My play style in DAO was to disable all but the most basic AI heal commands and manually control/queue up every action in fights....not possible in this game.

I guess until that patch is out I can do like most everyone else and lower the difficulty to normal, plug in a controller, and play it like an action game......:(

You're kidding yourselves if you think they're really going to fix anything. They'll paper over the worst with some easy fixes, pat themselves on the back, and move on. If they make it so that you can click on a label and have the character walk there... that's the best I would expect.

I would LOVE if they would fix this mess, because everything else about the game seems great so far, but... no. Ultimately I don't think anyone with the power to fix it considers it really broken.

That players everywhere are resigning to using the subpar controller solution isn't exactly heating any fires either.

Yes, subpar. Let's not pretend like the only reason the controller is preferable ISN'T because they fucked up the alternative even worse.

They wanted to focus on the consoles.
They didn't want to put in the extra work.
The PC version suffers.

Yep, same reason I can't finish Hinterlands. Every time I get in that valley I get hit by a giant fireball and attacked by Dragonlings. I tried it when I was lvl 6 or so, and died almost instantly. I'm gonna wait until I get leveled up quite a bit more to take him on. I have Iron Bull now, and I think he will help a lot the next time around.

I just finished up the Sword Coast stuff, and ran into a dragon fighting a giant. Promptly ran. ;)

i couldn't kill it at lvl 13-14 on nightmare diff, i ended up angle glitching it, hitting it with arrows from sera while its fire balls would hit the hill infront of me and my arrows would go over the hill.

maybe it wasn't glitching, i was just smarter than a dragon... yeah thats it.

I'm nearing level 12 on my female bow-oriented rogue and still haven't cleared Hinterlands after almost 30 hours. Why?
CKGiEXX.jpg

How do you hide the UI???

What's everyone's character set ups?
1 Mage, 2 Warriors, and Verric(Rogue) seems to be legit for me.

Hey now, come on.
Get mad at the game. Ranting never helps in the first place. Does it?

:p

Just because a developer takes the time to make sure that controllers work as well as KB/M on a PC does NOT mean it's a console port. I've been using KB/M and the only issue I had was figuring out how to click the rift in the tutorial for for the first time. After I learned that I need to flip the camera up for a few seconds to click it, I haven't had an issue since.

If you think that flipping the camera up to "use" an object 100 feet above your head is too much of a hassle then this is definitely the wrong genre to play. If you think that having to use tactics to defeat enemies is too much of a hassle then this is the WRONG game and genre to be playing.

On the flip side, if you like interrogating young females and discovering their lesbian relationship with an apostate mage, then this IS the game for you! Now if I can just find a way to sleep with Ritts, then life would be complete...

i have had issue clicking on rifts, but i started just using the F key since it targets anything within range you can interact with, F has even let me collect stuff under the map that i couldnt click on with the mouse, much easier to use than clicking on stuff.

i don't interact with rifts in the middle of combat tho, no point as a tank since everything is hitting you. maybe my next game i will try an assassin so i have more freedom to click on rifts mid combat.

Back