Dragon Age III: Inquisition announced!!!!

I am surprised regarding the praise this game gets in a PC Forum. It is at best a good "Console action RPG". If you go in expecting that then it is enjoyable. But a tactical RPG it is not. Nor is it GOTY material.

It's your opinion and I disagree with you. While not perfect, its certainly been a very enjoyable experience for me, much better than Skyrim IMHO.

GOTY contender for sure.

Some update or patch just came through.

I really like this game a lot so far. I'm still pretty early into it and getting the feel for things but very promising.

Some update or patch just came through.

I really like this game a lot so far. I'm still pretty early into it and getting the feel for things but very promising.

Game really opens up after level 10. Take your time and explore.

Never played a dragon age till now.

Blown away by how bad the controls are... I don't remember mass effect being like this.

Never played a dragon age till now.

Blown away by how bad the controls are... I don't remember mass effect being like this.

Switch to a controller, problem solved. They're "attempting" to fix the keyboard controls

I've been using a remapped G13, works quite a bit better.

The UI with a controller is a little more intrusive, but the controls do feel much cleaner. I swapped to using a pad after 5 minutes and haven't really looked back.
Anyone know what the most recent patch does? I know it still didn't fix the weird glitch where you can't complete the "Lore Requisition on the Plains" quest. As soon as you finish that quest, it restarts automatically again and again...and it's a hard one to complete in the first place.

I have a wired 360 controller here. I'll try that. I'd love to try the Dual Shock 4 on it but I don't know how far that has come with the PC.

kb&m hasn't given me any problems. Yes using the tac cam can be a bit awkward, but I honestly never use it, mostly because the camera is so bad.

I am surprised regarding the praise this game gets in a PC Forum. It is at best a good "Console action RPG". If you go in expecting that then it is enjoyable. But a tactical RPG it is not. Nor is it GOTY material.

Agreed, they made the game bigger but it's all bloat and sixteen thousand pointless little side quests. (I like side quests and all but those are just bad overall) The main story isn't that much bigger than DA2. There's entire freaking areas you never have to go to for crying out loud if you're largely interested in the main story.

I have a wired 360 controller here. I'll try that. I'd love to try the Dual Shock 4 on it but I don't know how far that has come with the PC.

DS4Windows tool is absolutely awesome. Being able to remap buttons to other buttons/keyboard keys/macros makes using a DS4 even better then an XBox controller IMO.

Wow. Finally beat it, about 68 hours total. The filler in the game is a total waste - not only does it not do anything in the end, I was so overleveled and geared, even in Nightmare, the last fight was a curbstomp.

And that being said, the final fight is lame, with nothing to it other than just hack and slash at the end. Even DA2 had a better ending sequence - substantially better.

I'm not going to say I disliked the game, that would be too much. But for something so large, it felt surprisingly small - choice seemed to matter not at all. I would rather have had 100 less fetch quests, and more real interaction and choice that drove the world, not just...

All the "choices" changed were a quick narrative at the end with static images. They don't do anything in the game world or the ending at all. Sigh.

And the least subtle "foreshadowing", if you can even call it that since it's basically told to you straight up, of the next game's bad guy, ever.

DS4Windows tool is absolutely awesome. Being able to remap buttons to other buttons/keyboard keys/macros makes using a DS4 even better then an XBox controller IMO.

Nice find. I'll try it.

EDIT: Wow. This game really is better with a controller. I'm pretty stubborn about sticking with KBM on my games when I can but I think I am going to stick to controller for this one. It's noticable. Right now I'm using the 360 controller and then I'll try the DS4 controller.

EDIT: No question. Controller all the way for this. It's not even close.

Last edited:
I have about 460hrs in this game between the PS4 and PC. Obviously I'm enjoying it, but the game has its flaws, particularly on PC. That said, I've enjoyed it more than FC4, ACU or any other game I played in 2014, including Shadow of Mordor. It is better with a controller, but I'm too stubborn to give up my M&KB. I think I'm ready for a break after my latest run however. Hoping more patches improve the PC version's controls, but I'm not holding my breath. Game looks gorgeous though. It should get me through until Witcher 3 comes out.

vMVQYK.jpg

There's some hope they might eventually fix or tweak the KB/M controls.
With Neverwinter Nights 2, Bioware kept releasing patches for years after that game came out. They kept tweaking the controls, AI, UI, performance, and things until the final versions ended up working almost nothing like the original release...although there are now so many options it's overwhelming.
That game came out in 2006 and I don't think the final patches hit until something like 2010.

With Neverwinter Nights 2, Bioware kept releasing patches for years after that game came out. They kept tweaking the controls, AI, UI, performance, and things until the final versions ended up working almost nothing like the original release...although there are now so many options it's overwhelming.
That game came out in 2006 and I don't think the final patches hit until something like 2010.

This was encouraging until it occurred to me that this was before BioWare was bought by EA and the two Co-Owners + Casey Hudson left. Still possible, but less likely.

Didn't Obsidian develop that game? How many of those patches were due more thanks to BioWare than Obsidian?

Yeah, it was Obsidian, not bioware. Anyways, I have a backlog and am patient in waiting to see if they do fix m/kb before I buy this.

Isn't there a DS3windows? I had no reason to buy a PS4 yet.

Isn't there a DS3windows? I had no reason to buy a PS4 yet.

There are several DS3 driver tools. The one called "Better DS3" seems to be the easiest. Some of the others are really hit and miss with bluetooth.

Yeah, it was Obsidian, not bioware. Anyways, I have a backlog and am patient in waiting to see if they do fix m/kb before I buy this.

I wouldn't let it stop you.

I haven't looked back since starting to use the controller and I'm as big on KBM as anyone you are going to run into.

The KBM is serviceable but in present form controller is definitely the way to go. Up to you. I easily see myself getting 40-60 hours out of this game. Maybe even higher depending on how thorough I am.

I haven't looked back since starting to use the controller and I'm as big on KBM as anyone you are going to run into.

The KBM is serviceable but in present form controller is definitely the way to go. Up to you. I easily see myself getting 40-60 hours out of this game. Maybe even higher depending on how thorough I am.

I actually don't have a controller

I have about 460hrs in this game between the PS4 and PC. Obviously I'm enjoying it, but the game has its flaws, particularly on PC. That said, I've enjoyed it more than FC4, ACU or any other game I played in 2014, including Shadow of Mordor. It is better with a controller, but I'm too stubborn to give up my M&KB. I think I'm ready for a break after my latest run however. Hoping more patches improve the PC version's controls, but I'm not holding my breath. Game looks gorgeous though. It should get me through until Witcher 3 comes out.

vMVQYK.jpg

Holy crap....that's an average of 6 hours per day since the game came out! :eek:

KBM is ok; what I disliked most about this game is that even on nightmare for me, none of the skills were really that great. Didn't feel like a lot of strategy went into any fight. Even trying to micro-manage during dragon fights, the AI was so bad I just let my party fend for itself and use the broken guard system to solo the majority of the dragon fights.

I never really used a lot of tactics beyond occasionally kiting if my team randomly got killed off. Otherwise it's just a matter of just holding R2 and going through your strongest abilities as needed depending on whether you're facing 1 enemy or several. Other than that, just use potions as needed and occasionally take control of your ranged characters when they start acting stupid.
Early in the game some of the fade rifts are virtually impossible to close if you're under a certain level, but once you're there (for me it was level 8) - it's as though the game was set to easy mode. It isn't even a matter of getting new abilities either. I think the game just wants you to be a certain level before doing certain tasks.

Thinking of getting this game, but I'm skeptical if I should get it on PC or PS4. I have the Video card to run on Highest settings. What do you guys think?

Get it on PC if you have the hardware. Worse case scenario: You use a controller although the KBM is "serviceable."

The game looks gorgeous maxed out, runs great, and really: It's huge.

This is a helluva good game.

If you can run the game on the highest settings why in the world would the PS4 version even be a consideration? Unless you really want to play MP and you only have PS4 friends, there's just no question.

From what I've seen the PS4 and Xb1 version are near identical to the PC at max, if you have the console, and it controls better on a controller (which everyone here seems to agree it does) then why not get the console version?

From what I've seen the PS4 and Xb1 version are near identical to the PC at max, if you have the console, and it controls better on a controller (which everyone here seems to agree it does) then why not get the console version?

The Xbox One version runs at 900p/30fps. The PS4 version runs at 1080p/30fps. In terms of detail settings, view distance, etc.
In terms of visual settings, they're both pretty close to medium details.
The PC version can run at over 4K, can display over 120fps depending on your hardware, can be controlled with any device you want (including either a PS or Xbox pad), can be modded, can have nearly instant load times with a SSD, etc.
On top of it, the PC version has even been prioritized for quicker patches and updates in this instance.
Consoles have their place if you don't have a gaming PC, but in this instance...I just don't see it.

Domingo pretty well nailed it. The potential for higher resolution on PC can make a big difference. Also, a 30fps cap on consoles sucks. That alone would leave me looking at the PC version. The other graphics settings are pretty close, but there is still a noticeable edge for PC.

I agree that the game plays better with a controller, but the PC version has native controller support. Unless you really want to play from your couch (and don't have your PC hooked to your TV), there is no reason to go console over PC if you have the proper hardware to run it.

ahh.. Didnt know about the FPS cap on console. PC it is. I have an xbox controller hooked up on my PC so that should fix the controller issues.

Back