Dragon Age III: Inquisition announced!!!!

My wife is doing the Cullen romance because the other options aren't exactly great.
It seems like the game pushes just about everyone to Cassandra or Cullen.

They're the "normal" ones to anyone that's straight. The rest might be interesting if you have other preferences.

So I'm about 15 hours in and just read somewhere that you can use Dispel on the green glowing spots prior to the second wave at rifts to keep demons from spawning at that particular locations. This will help immensely against those annoying lesser terrors. Does anyone else have another interesting tips and tricks like that? I don't recall the game ever revealing information like that.

So I'm about 15 hours in and just read somewhere that you can use Dispel on the green glowing spots prior to the second wave at rifts to keep demons from spawning at that particular locations. This will help immensely against those annoying lesser terrors. Does anyone else have another interesting tips and tricks like that? I don't recall the game ever revealing information like that.

It pays to read the tips during the load screens :)

Ah yes, touche. My game tends to load before I can even go through two cards so I stopped trying. First world problems. :p

Unfortunately this is for everyone.

I dont know why they chose to have these awesome lore cards on the loading screen for only half the loading time, then it goes to black screen. Ugh. If they updated this small annoyance with a patch, one that had you click to continue, they would grab an additional half point on my rating scale for this game.

From a 9 to a 9.5 haha

Also, you can read everything through your codex entries too.

Make sure you are aware of each ability you add on to your character(s).

Never auto level your other 3 in your group either. ( This just takes all the fun out of it.)

For anything listed in the Valuables Tab that has a description of resources,creatures etc, don't sell it. Turn it in. You'll come across plenty of junk to sell, or old rare items that will give you plenty of money.

Save your money and save your runes for mid to end game content.

You probably already notice that your health potions are shared throughout your group. With this being said, you can modify how many health potions each character can automatically use, while the rest are reserved for you to manually use.

I honestly didn't like to have a low reserve, so I made each character(with out my discretion) be able to use health potions until I had 5 left. So essentially they could only use 3 when full.
For example, if you're using your Inquisitor, primarily in a hard fight (dragons or rifts especially) and the others are getting stomped, they'll keep using those potions over and over until you're out. Which then leaves your strongest or whomever is still standing, basically screwed. Also, you have to modify this option for each character. Once you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.

Best game I've played all year. Have fun!

Last edited:
Closing rifts becomes pretty easy once you hit level 9 or 10. Some of the later ones have tougher enemies, but I usually just go stealth (I'm a rogue) and weaken, attack enemies, weaken, repeat.
There are only 2 "real" waves of enemies and it's easiest if you just take on the toughest enemy you can (usually a fire demon or frost mage) and worry about the peon ghosts later.

I think the best tip I can give you is to ignore most of the accessories you find that aren't at least blue or purple. The blue rings are better than you think because most of those relate to specific abilities for you or your teammates and they boost effectiveness by 30%, which is actually pretty huge.

Not sure if it's all the same or not, as I had the "bug" where I was a dude but the game thought I was a chick... anyhow, as a "female" the romance w/Josephine consisted of some kissing.... again, since my character was a guy on screen I found it lame.

That bug kinda hosed my romance options, that said Cullen and the gay tivinter mage sure made a valiant effort...

Josephine romance sucked. You just get to make out in the Gazebo.

Game is hella hard on hard. Took me 5 tries to kill the dragon in the Hinterlands at Lvl 17 or 18.

Game is hella hard on hard. Took me 5 tries to kill the dragon in the Hinterlands at Lvl 17 or 18.

Well... that is disappointing. I have zero interest in any other character for romancing outside of Cassandra based on what you've told me. Maybe future content will bring in newly romanceable characters.

Well... that is disappointing. I have zero interest in any other character for romancing outside of Cassandra based on what you've told me. Maybe future content will bring in newly romanceable characters.

Josephine is also adorable though. I loved romancing her. If you just want boobies though she will disappoint.

Both Josephine and Vivian don't appeal to me they both seem too into their "Game". Cassandra seems to be the "safe" choice, but I am going for Sera. Yeah she is nuts, but at least she ain't boring. Sure she definitely seems like she'll stab you in the end, but sometimes you feel you need some crazy especially in a game :)

Both Josephine and Vivian don't appeal to me they both seem too into their "Game". Cassandra seems to be the "safe" choice, but I am going for Sera. Yeah she is nuts, but at least she ain't boring. Sure she definitely seems like she'll stab you in the end, but sometimes you feel you need some crazy especially in a game :)

Sera is female romance only fyi...I only mention it because you listed all the male romance options so I assume your character is male.

Make sure you are aware of each ability you add on to your character(s).

I'm about level 8/9 and still learning some 'hidden' abilities. I had no idea Payback Strike could be used to get up from knockdown effects and in turn knock the enemy down until very recently. I feel like a total idiot and I'm pretty sure there are other abilities I am under utilizing.

Also, thanks for the potion tip. That makes potion carrying capacity upgrades far more important.

Closing rifts becomes pretty easy once you hit level 9 or 10. Some of the later ones have tougher enemies, but I usually just go stealth (I'm a rogue) and weaken, attack enemies, weaken, repeat.
There are only 2 "real" waves of enemies and it's easiest if you just take on the toughest enemy you can (usually a fire demon or frost mage) and worry about the peon ghosts later.

I think the best tip I can give you is to ignore most of the accessories you find that aren't at least blue or purple. The blue rings are better than you think because most of those relate to specific abilities for you or your teammates and they boost effectiveness by 30%, which is actually pretty huge.

Encountered my first Despair Demon and she wasn't too bad once I started going out of my way to disrupt rifts mid fight and had Solas spamming dispel. My only problem is that party members tend to clump up which is really annoying since I have to then use the tactical view to manually break them up. Going to ignore the fodder next time around and just plow the big baddie that spawns and see how that works out.

Seeing as to how I'm a rogue, what are your thoughts on having Deathblow, Twin Fang, Flank Attack, and Shadow Strike? I'm starting to feel like I don't have the stamina to support all these abilities PLUS poison. Should I drop some and spend the points elsewhere?

Sera is female romance only fyi...I only mention it because you listed all the male romance options so I assume your character is male.
Looks like I picked right. My character is a female mage. I thought both Josephine and Vivian swing both ways. I was sure Cassandra didn't but I tried anyway since the option was there and got turned down.

Uhh, no. I just had a lovely evening with her last night in my bedroom in front of the fireplace on the couch. Granted we just cuddled but the gazebo kissing is just the early dating stuff.

What is your party makeup? Also knowing the dragon is fire based did you have a lot of fire resistance because on Nightmare I took her down on the first try at level 15.

for abilities that you use, it may help to choose low stamina abilities, max them out and wear rings for them, then on the tactical menu set them as preferred.

As for the clumping, it can be useful for casting barrier, especially if you have two mages,.

I was trying to level an archer but getting bored. Is it worth the time past level 7? I really enjoy my dagger rogue but he's only lvl 5.

Oh and just curious. I've heard reports that DAI runs better on windows 8.1 and comparable on windows 10. Can anybody here corroborate this?

I was trying to level an archer but getting bored. Is it worth the time past level 7? I really enjoy my dagger rogue but he's only lvl 5.

how do you level an archer? you just respec a rogue. one of them (sera) will be an archer

Uhh, no. I just had a lovely evening with her last night in my bedroom in front of the fireplace on the couch. Granted we just cuddled but the gazebo kissing is just the early dating stuff..

I was holding back a bit thinking the mission ahead was the last one, but apparently it wasn't so I'm pushing forward a bit to see whats next.

Maybe an odd question , but was hoping someone might have experience with this.

I usually , no make that , almost always , prefer keyboard/mouse for everything gaming wise. I bought DA:I for the PC , and am about to get around to playing it , but have read from some who do prefer k/m also that for this game it "felt" better even on the PC version , after they switched to a controller.

I grabbed a wired 360 controller on sale from Amazon , and was curious if anyone has used both k/m and controller and thinks overall the controller is the better way to go for this game ?

I usually , no make that , almost always , prefer keyboard/mouse for everything gaming wise. I bought DA:I for the PC , and am about to get around to playing it , but have read from some who do prefer k/m also that for this game it "felt" better even on the PC version , after they switched to a controller.

I grabbed a wired 360 controller on sale from Amazon , and was curious if anyone has used both k/m and controller and thinks overall the controller is the better way to go for this game ?

You can tell from playing the game that it was made with a controller in mind. With that said, keyboard/mouse isn't terrible but it's not the same experience and you'll likely get more frustrated with it than with a controller. Since you already have an xbox 360 controller you should use it instead. If you hadn't bought one already then keyboard/mouse is manageable.

Once you tweak some things and learn how to ues the keyboard for things like picking up loot (f key), it's really not that bad.

The most frustrating thing about the KB/M is the inventory IMHO. It just works wrong in certain spots, like if you use the scroll wheel on the list the stats don't change when the item is under your mouse, so you have to move it out and back over to get it to show it's stats. It makes selling and swapping weapons frustrating. I am still using KB/M but stuff like the inventory works much better with a controller. In battles I prefer the KB/M honestly. I dislike the shifted view of the spells in the controller GUI and prefer to see all the spells/skills at a glance instead of just half of them. Walking around, I prefer the controller mainly because I hate that you always run because of lack of analog control, and I like to not have to constantly hold down the right mouse button to look around.

kb/m sucks a dogs balls in this game. I don't use controller and find myself to be highly annoyed at the system they have implemented. You right click to mouselook.... except when the cursor is on an icon, then you have to find it and move it to a blank space on the screen.

Nvidia doc for the latest driver 347.09 says if you are using 7-64

Dragon Age Inquisition runs poorly (stutters) on NVIDIA hardware. [1588023]

True?

Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

True?

Can confirm. On Win 7 64-bit and the game is now unplayable with the latest drivers. Locks up for a few seconds every few seconds making anything, even browsing the menu, extremely difficult. Took a considerable number of restarts to finally get it running smoothly again...thought it was something wrong with my computer and glad it isn't. Surprised it took this long for someone to bring it up. This also may be coincidental, but there is now considerable coil while coming from my STRIX 970 now.

Thanks for the confirm.......suppose I'll put it away till they get this glitch fixed and revisit Skyrim for awhile.

kb/m sucks a dogs balls in this game. I don't use controller and find myself to be highly annoyed at the system they have implemented. You right click to mouselook.... except when the cursor is on an icon, then you have to find it and move it to a blank space on the screen.

kb/m is useable. However I find the game much more enjoyable with the 360 controller.

True?

Is an Nvidia user actually admiting to a driver problem? :D

Can confirm. On Win 7 64-bit and the game is now unplayable with the latest drivers. Locks up for a few seconds every few seconds making anything, even browsing the menu, extremely difficult. Took a considerable number of restarts to finally get it running smoothly again...thought it was something wrong with my computer and glad it isn't. Surprised it took this long for someone to bring it up. This also may be coincidental, but there is now considerable coil while coming from my STRIX 970 now.

Oh my there are two of you. :D

The most frustrating thing about the KB/M is the inventory IMHO. It just works wrong in certain spots, like if you use the scroll wheel on the list the stats don't change when the item is under your mouse, so you have to move it out and back over to get it to show it's stats. It makes selling and swapping weapons frustrating. I am still using KB/M but stuff like the inventory works much better with a controller. In battles I prefer the KB/M honestly. I dislike the shifted view of the spells in the controller GUI and prefer to see all the spells/skills at a glance instead of just half of them. Walking around, I prefer the controller mainly because I hate that you always run because of lack of analog control, and I like to not have to constantly hold down the right mouse button to look around.

Probably the only flaw in the controller is how you have to hold left trigger to access the other spells. Its not bad once you get used to it.

I tried KB/M at first like I do all games, before switching over to my wireless 360 controller. I definitely prefer the controller.

Hmm...No issues for me with the 347.09 beta drivers. I haven't played since I installed the official WHQL though, but IIRC all they did was sign the beta drivers so there really shouldn't be any issues. Best bet is to try it yourself because I played for like 4 hours straight without a single issue with the beta drivers. Honestly the beta drivers were much better than the previous WHQL ones with this and many other games.

True?

Hmmm no stuttering for me on 970 in SLI. If anything I have the whole game maxed out 4xMSAA getting 50-60fps @ 1440p.

I can get 45-55fps with DSR (4K) with no MSAA on.

Also i noticed a SSD is REALLY nice to have with this game.

Hmmm no stuttering for me on 970 in SLI. If anything I have the whole game maxed out 4xMSAA getting 50-60fps @ 1440p.

I can get 45-55fps with DSR (4K) with no MSAA on.

Also i noticed a SSD is REALLY nice to have with this game.

It's under single GPU so SLI does not seem to be effected.

Game has only been out for a month and the latest were posted a few days ago.
Might need another month to iron out any kinks.

It's only vista/7 64 bit so 8+ is alright.

Back