Dragon Age II Demo - Feb. 22nd

The one about steam updating the game? It didn't help. It crashes halfway through the demo too. This does not send a good message to me about the real game.

No. Myself like a few others have been able to get the dx11 to run just fine by doing things like:

-Playing through in dx9 first.

-Switching to dx9, starting the game and then during gameplay switching back to dx11, then restarting the game.

I think it worked for me simply by restarting the game after it first ran. I noticed a lot of choppiness so I closed and reopened. It ran better but was still a little low on the fps. So I played through on dx9. When I changed back to dx11 to play through again it was almost constant 60fps (vsync on).

As was said before the dx11 in the demo is buggy, no doubt. But you can get it playable and it's not a reflection of the final product.

I played this demo as a rogue and was able to go toe to toe with the first ogre with NO worry about losing. Sis big juggs took care of all the adds, and I just meleed the ogre down. WTB challenge!

Whoa, whoa. I think that was pretty much intended. What about the second encounter you were playing that was the "real story" the dwarf was telling? Wasn't that more difficult?

If you noticed during the first encounter you were wearing different armor, had more skills/spells. That seemed to be some exaggerated story depicting the event.

It was pretty easy. First time I played I lost my mage and PC who was a fighter. Mostly due to not paying attention. I just ran through the demo again and didn't lose a single person. Just give the mage greater healing as fireball will deal with anything and leave the AI as its set. The tank fighter will switch to a skill that basically makes her invincible and you can ignore her. As a rogue just switch back and forth between evade and backstab and keep an eye on health. Only had to pause once to heal up my rogue and the mage. Tank never came close to needing my help. Paused once to move the mage away from a group of enemies and from there just focused on using the PC.

That Bethany mage is a little different in that first exaggerated version of the story told by that crispy dwarf, lol.

That Bethany mage is a little different in that first exaggerated version of the story told by that crispy dwarf, lol.

Never really paid close attention but I bet it would be. I think he's going to be a great character.

I forgot to mention: loading during cutscenes. If that makes it into the final game, it will be very amateurish.

Played some more of the demo tonight, I can't believe how bad the acting is. The voice-over is painfully bad, as a Brit the stilted accents are excruciating to listen to. Could give a shit about any of the characters

I've given up on it. DA2 is dire, I have struck it off my list of purchases. First bad Bioware game in quite some time.

Last edited:
Played some more of the demo tonight, I can't believe how bad the acting is. The voice-over is painfully bad, as a Brit the stilted accents are excruciating to listen to. Could give a shit about any of the characters

I've given up on it. DA2 is unmitigated dire, I have struck it off my list of purchases. First bad Bioware game in quite some time.

The VA isn't great, but its not THAT bad. You act like we're in an age where DA2's voice acting stands out as horrible. It really doesn't. Its pretty average. The accents don't sound good, but it would seem weird if they all spoke in American or Canadian dialects.

I forgot to mention: loading during cutscenes. If that makes it into the final game, it will be very amateurish.

I agree there. As I stated before it seemed to me like they threw it all together specifically for the demo.

I just went back and played through the mage this time and I'm nonplussed. When did mages become martial artists and how can anyone say having your mage dance all over the screen to perform basic magic is somehow an improvement? Did people really play the first game and say to themselves, "hmm, this would be so much better if my character would spin and dance around the screen like he's performing magic in Circus du Soleil"?

I don't get the design decisions that were made at all. I think I can say now after one and a half play-throughs that I pretty much hate how the DA2 plays. The hyper-speed combat is so irritating and distracting to me that I'm not even sure if I'll pick this up when it hits steam sale prices. I actually really liked ME2, so I'm a little surprised I feel this way. But the qualities I enjoyed in Origins were not the same ones I enjoyed in ME2, and I don't think I ever felt like I wanted one to be at all like the other.

Last edited:
I just went back and played through the mage this time and I'm nonplussed. When did mages become martial artists and how can anyone say having your mage dance all over the screen to perform basic magic is somehow an improvement? Did people really play the first game and say to themselves, "hmm, this would be so much better if my character would spin and dance around the screen like he's performing magic in Circus du Soleil"?

Definitely the dumbest addition. I'll probably just play warrior/rogue because of how annoying that is.

And I'm really surprised by the quality of this demo. ME2's demo seemed nice. ME2 also had a bunch of changes, but it wasn't met with as much hostility as this.

The demo feels very rushed. I wonder if it was a PR decision at the last minute.

Possibly. I hear the German demo is actually quite a bit better voice acted and doesn't seem to have the bugs and performance issues that we got.

so I dont know whats up, I have no abilities in my hotbar... Ive tried all 3 classes and I have - and = (heal and mana i think) on my hot bar, but no other class abilities, anyone know whats up? the first part when its explaining how to use your abilities it says "target and enemy and use winters grasp" but I have no way of casting it, any ideas?

I've also tried pressing every hotkey button (1 through 0) and nothing.

so I dont know whats up, I have no abilities in my hotbar... Ive tried all 3 classes and I have - and = (heal and mana i think) on my hot bar, but no other class abilities, anyone know whats up? the first part when its explaining how to use your abilities it says "target and enemy and use winters grasp" but I have no way of casting it, any ideas?

I've also tried pressing every hotkey button (1 through 0) and nothing.

I think they show up after you start pelting the enemy with your default staff magic.

I think they show up after you start pelting the enemy with your default staff magic.

I have, I managed to get as far as killing the orge and still cant do anything but use my default attacks. I hit lv 2 and trained a new ability and couldnt use that one either, yet my healing/mana (- and =) were still there.

Every time I get to the character selection screen, after the dwarf cut scene, mine freezes. I click "Start Game" and it just sits there. Alt-Tab out and there's a "stopped working" popup. :mad:

I don't get the design decisions that were made at all. I think I can say now after one and a half play-throughs that I pretty much hate how the DA2 plays. The hyper-speed combat is so irritating and distracting to me that I'm not even sure if I'll pick this up when it hits steam sale prices. I actually really liked ME2, so I'm a little surprised I feel this way. But the qualities I enjoyed in Origins were not the same ones I enjoyed in ME2, and I don't think I ever felt like I wanted one to be at all like the other.

Mike Laidlaw apparently listened to the people who played the first game.

Dragon Age was played by a lot of young people who had previously NEVER played a classic stats-based, party based RPG. These gamers couldn't understand why the characters didn't immediately do something when they pressed a button - as is typically the case with video games.

They simply didn't understand that the round needed to be played out first. Their upbringing with games had taught them that when they hit the X button, something was supposed to happen. The game felt broken to many of these gamers.

Mike Laidlaw heard this comment so many times that I guess he had no choice but to 'fix' the game. Let's face it, if nine out of ten people you talk to tell you that something is wrong with a product, and you need to sell that product, then you also need to fix that product so that the nine people will come on board.

I'm not saying that Mike Laidlaw made the right decisions here. I'm just saying, this is why these changes were made.

I have, I managed to get as far as killing the orge and still cant do anything but use my default attacks. I hit lv 2 and trained a new ability and couldnt use that one either, yet my healing/mana (- and =) were still there.

This is what my page looks like all the time, nothing new every shows up, is this right? My res is 5040x1050 if that makes a difference.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what my page looks like all the time, nothing new every shows up, is this right? My res is 5040x1050 if that makes a difference.

Eyfinity? Haven't people posted problems running it like that?

I've given up on it. DA2 is dire, I have struck it off my list of purchases. First bad Bioware game in quite some time.

Get over it already. This is what, the second time you've commented on the freakin voice acting? Its simple DON'T BUY THE GAME ! and leave this thread. Really, its not bad at all.

Last edited:
Played through it, it's pretty good, although it's still lacking 5.1 surround sound.

Played through again with the dx11 settings. V-sync enabled, 50-60fps the whole time.

Played through again with the dx11 settings. V-sync enabled, 50-60fps the whole time.

DX11 gave me a semi-poor framerate, but no other glitches. I don't use vsync in games anymore though, especially games that don't allow me to set the refresh rate.

the demo crashed on my system too. is it just me or does this game look worse than the original? the combat is even more stupid now than from the first game. the story better be good....

the demo crashed on my system too. is it just me or does this game look worse than the original? the combat is even more stupid now than from the first game. the story better be good....

No, it looks better than the original.

It's way sharper - when I returned to the original game i saw immediately that the characters looked just god awful in comparison.

I've done a 180 with this game. I've gone from not even caring about it, to looking forward to it with great anticipation.

It's way sharper - when I returned to the original game i saw immediately that the characters looked just god awful in comparison.

I've done a 180 with this game. I've gone from not even caring about it, to looking forward to it with great anticipation.

We all know you can't not like a game, Wabe, its not in your nature :p

Get over it already. This is what, the second time you've commented on the freakin voice acting? Its simple DON'T BUY THE GAME ! and leave this thread. Really, its not bad at all.

High and mighty aren't we.

I was actually defending the voice-acting in DA: O if you care to read further back (if you can be bothered to read the thread properly)

I'm over it already. A definite mild case of the thread craps.

The demo has been useful in telling me all I need to know about the game, a brave decision by EA / Bioware for sure. I will leave you all in peace now, enjoy your shitty / bastardised game (couldn't resist a parting shot).

Last edited:
This game will be disastrous. I canceled my preorder, I'm not buying it any more. Biggest flaw, apart from nowhere-near-fluid framerate, is combat. It's just plain silly. Fukin' korean-mmo like type of bullshit. Totally butchers the mood for me. I can't stand it, I would preffer "boring and repetitive" fights from the first part of the game.

Additionaly I heard that the game is crippled of any signs of complexity and does not require thinking at all. Even at basic level.

Sorry, I'll pass. Bioware just made themselves money-centric whores.

Back