Drag and Drop / Click and Drag service

ChEeZeBaLL

n00b
I have a question regarding windows XP services that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I run Serato Scratch Live DJ software on my laptop and in order to get the best performance I created a hardware profile in which I disabled a ton of Windows services. It works nicely, there's only 14 background processes running and Serato runs great. The only problem is Click and Drag functionality has been disabled. I cant drag and drop songs in the Serato software, or drag around icons on the windows desktop. I was wondering if anyone knew which Windows service provided click and drag functionality so I can re-enable it.

None of them, Explorer.exe does that.

It sounds more like you've managed to disable something required by an explorer extension (i.e. zip program, virus scanner, etc). Most extensions I've encountered don't fail gracefully, so the explorer thread that gets information about what actions you can do with a file you just selected (like double clicking to open a zip as a folder, right click menus) just hangs waiting for a proper response from them.

Have you at least tried a clean reboot (or kill explorer.exe with taskmanager and let a new one automatically start), you might have turned off something and it didn't cleanly remove whatever hooks it had put in explorer.

Rebooting and killing explorer.exe from the taskmanager and restarting it doesn't help. The problem only occurs when using the limited hardware profile. It does take a very long time to get past the welcome screen when booting with the limited profile (about 3 minutes), so perhaps you're right about a thread hanging.

After doing a bit more experimenting, it seems that Serato still runs with good performance if I just boot using my normal hardware profile and manually end all the background processes that I am able to, and I am able to drag and drop, so I guess I'll just do that. I'm still curious what would cause the drag and drop problem though...

Back