DQ9 is on NDS!

DizzySHK

Gawd
yup..the monster that is Dragon Quest(in japan at least) is heading straight to NDS for it's 9th game.

this could be a devastating blow to PSP in japan.

Haven't they had Dragon Quest on Gameboy systems for a long time now? I never played it, but I thought I've seen it on gameboys before.

CopyCat said:
Haven't they had Dragon Quest on Gameboy systems for a long time now? I never played it, but I thought I've seen it on gameboys before.
Think those were some spin off type games. This could actually be pretty big if true.

CopyCat said:

Yes but they were ports/spin-offs. I'm not an RPG fan so correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason people are making a big deal of this is because it's like if Squaresoft was to announce that FF13 wasn't gonna be on the PS3 but going to be made just for the DS.

Wow, and then everyone in Japan stopped caring about Sony.

Not sure it will have as much of an influence stateside. Isn't the PSP only remotely profitable in the US? We sure love our racist adds.

Now we just need Square-Enix to announce that FF XIII is coming to 360 or the Wii and you can officially put a fork in sony...

Nuzzles said:
That last bit was a joke, right?

Dragon Quest has always been much bigger then Final Fantasy in Japan. Japan actually had to change their laws because of the insane crowds that would show up at stores on DQ release dates.

That the DQ series is being changed over to DS is a massive, MASSIVE blow to Sony.

Wow.

Totally fooled me. My guess would of been DQ9 on Wii, but wow.
This is really big news. I likey.

I was a huge fan of VIII and the series in general. The fact that I won't have shell out $600 for a PS3 soon is a huge relief

Psychotext said:
Umm... have you seen the sales? The PSP is already dead in Japan.

Have you seen them?

Prior to the launch of the Wii and PS3, the PSP was outselling everything in Japan that wasn't the DS Lite. I'd hardly call that an indication of death.

Anyway, I'd have rather seen this on a home console. The main draw of a handheld is portability, and while on the go, simplistic platformers, puzzle games, schmups, and quirky titles like Elite Beat Agents that pass the time and give you a quick fix while on the bus or train or waiting in the doctor's office seem much more befitting.

But playing a 60+ hour epic RPG on a two-inch screen, ugh. To put it into perspective, if the shoe were on the other foot, and the PSP were the dominant handheld, I certainly wouldn't want to see FFXIII or Devil May Cry 4 exclusively on that platform.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
Anyway, I'd have rather seen this on a home console. The main draw of a handheld is portability, and while on the go, simplistic platformers, puzzle games, schmups, and quirky titles like Elite Beat Agents that pass the time and give you a quick fix while on the bus or train or waiting in the doctor's office seem much more befitting.

Ditto. I use my DS almost exclusively for side-scrolling platformers. While I want to play the new Zelda DS game next year, I don't look forward to putting that much time into that tiny device. It's the same way I feel about FFIII.

KidzMD said:
Now we just need Square-Enix to announce that FF XIII is coming to 360 or the Wii and you can officially put a fork in sony...

you don't know how bad i wish for them to make FF for either the wii or 360...

I know there is some sort of online FF for the 360 irght?

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I know there is some sort of online FF for the 360 irght?
Never speak of FF XI - it is the debil!!1!!!

Good concept, horrid execution unless something has changed in the last year.

The Big N is well on its way back to the top. This is great news and a HUGE blow to Sony. I was a big fan of the PS2, but lately Sony can't seem to do anything right.

I'm a big fan of the DS and DQ, but I would rather have seen a Dragon Quest game on the Wii. Who knows, maybe it'll fit perfectly?

maverick777 said:
The Big N is well on its way back to the top. This is great news and a HUGE blow to Sony. I was a big fan of the PS2, but lately Sony can't seem to do anything right.
NOT. </Borat>

DQ8 was a commercial failure. Don't get me wrong, I fuckin loved it... but it just doesn't have the same commercial and widespread appeal as a certian other Squeenix franchise.
There really is no loss for Sony with this announcement whatsoever.

As for Nintendo... it's good news. I can see myself putting some money down to get a DS for DQ9 in the future.

Japan != the world.

Yeah, having DQ on the DS will be great in Japan, but really, they are the same people who line up a day ahead to get the new Pokemon game.

The18thLetter said:
There really is no loss for Sony with this announcement whatsoever.

Don't know about that so much. Apparently the FF franchise has sold 68 million games and Dragon Quest has done 40 million. That puts them 3rd and 12th in the all time top selling game franchise list. .

Psychotext said:
Umm... have you seen the sales? The PSP is already dead in Japan.

Agreed. This isn't a blow to PSP, this is a blow to PS3. The Dragon Quest main series of games has called the Playstation--whether the original or PS2--"home" for close to a decade. In Japan, DQ is a larger franchise than *Final Fantasy*.

I wouldn't say, as some have, that "Square guarantees success of DS in Japan"--that much is already well and firmly established. What this DOES say is that Japanese RPG fans have one less reason to buy a PS3 now.

eurin said:
I'm a big fan of the DS and DQ, but I would rather have seen a Dragon Quest game on the Wii. Who knows, maybe it'll fit perfectly?

With the way Square's doing spinoffs and tie-ins all over the place lately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they later add a Wii "side story" version or some such thing that'll tie in with the main DS game wirelessly.

I thought this was big news myself.

I would have preferred it going to the Wii myself.

Remember this is one of the biggest game series in Japan. I would assume that the other RPGs tend to follow where DQ goes :D Without DQ on PS3, that's a loss of a lot of sales in Japan.

GreenMonkey said:
I thought this was big news myself.

I would have preferred it going to the Wii myself.

Remember this is one of the biggest game series in Japan. I would assume that the other RPGs tend to follow where DQ goes :D Without DQ on PS3, that's a loss of a lot of sales in Japan.
Not necessarily.
There's still Final Fantasy on the PS3, and that's a lot of sales right there (especially in the States, where FF > DQ). I'd say FF = DQ in Japan, so either way... PS3's are going to be bought for FF and other games.
I just don't see any loss for Sony in this decision (ESPECIALLY in the States... DQ8's sales were abysmal here, as I stated earlier).

Not to mention almost everyone in Japan already has a DS. lol

This is just wishful thinkin on your part (and by your I mean everyone who's saying it's a huge blow to Sony, blah blah).

The18thLetter said:
Not necessarily.
There's still Final Fantasy on the PS3, and that's a lot of sales right there (especially in the States, where FF > DQ). I'd say FF = DQ in Japan, so either way... PS3's are going to be bought for FF and other games.
I just don't see any loss for Sony in this decision (ESPECIALLY in the States... DQ8's sales were abysmal here, as I stated earlier).

This is just wishful thinkin on your part (and by your I mean everyone who's saying it's a huge blow to Sony, blah blah).

No, it's not wishful thinking. At the very least it can be said that in Japan, DQ sold PS1's and PS2's--and LOTS of them. While it's true that FF is to NA what DQ is to Japan, that still doesn't take away from the fact that this *is* a blow to Sony. One, I might add, of MANY blows delivered by both Microsoft and Nintendo of late.

It's worth noting that Square has *publicly* stated that they don't want Sony to win this console cycle. I'd say that this change of home for one of Japan's biggest titles is proof that they aren't kidding.

DragonMasterAlex said:
It's worth noting that Square has *publicly* stated that they don't want Sony to win this console cycle. I'd say that this change of home for one of Japan's biggest titles is proof that they aren't kidding.

Then they should have put DQ9 on the Gamequadrilateral.

The vids looks amazing, my brother and I turned on some Secret of Mana after watching the action. A blow is a blow no matter how big or small, the sum of the blows is greater than the parts that make the sum. (or something like that)

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
Then they should have put DQ9 on the Gamequadrilateral.

Given Square's recent foray into doing multiple versions/tie-ins of their popular franchises, would you be surprised *at all* if there is, in fact, a Wii component version in the works? :)

The18thLetter said:
Not necessarily.

The list of Sony losses keep piling up. Sooner or later you'll have to admit that they're going to hurt the console.

They lost DQ in Japan and GTA exclusivity in the States, amongst others. That hurts.

Sorry I just don't see anything appealing about graphics that are aimed at friggen 5 year olds.

Wrench00 said:
Sorry I just don't see anything appealing about graphics that are aimed at friggen 5 year olds.

Somebody's gotta say it: It's the GAMEPLAY :). That said, there's nothing 5 year oldish about the graphics. Cartoony? Yes. Do cartoons=childish? NO. Ask any Hentai fan!

And on that note, I'll say flat out that as good as Twilight Princess is (it's a great game), Wind Waker looked *better* in every possible way.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Given Square's recent foray into doing multiple versions/tie-ins of their popular franchises, would you be surprised *at all* if there is, in fact, a Wii component version in the works? :)

If it's a spin-off or gaiden title, or a remake after everyone has already bought it for the DS, then no, I wouldn't be.

As for what Square has publicly stated, I'm going take it as another example of a company saying one thing and doing another(how many times has this happened in the past year?).

If they were serious, then they wouldn't be developing FFXIII exclusively for the PS3 to "take advantage of the platform," and DQ9 would be exclusive to the Gametrapezoid. The only thing this means is that Sony will have to go elsewhere to make up the money that it won't be getting from sales of DQ9, but it still has VF5(which is the "DQ9" of fighting games in Japan), and FFXIII(which isn't much less popular than DQ in Japan AND is made by Square itself :confused: ). I also don't see where it spells doom for the PSP in Japan when you consider that up until a month ago, it was outselling everything over there except for the DS Lite, so it obviously has something(s) that the Japanese want. Even so, it's pretty clear that the Japanese already preferred the DS(Lite), so this is little more than icing on the cake.

DQ9 would have helped the Gametrapezoid a hell of a lot more than the DS. Who in Japan doesn't have one or wasn't already planning to get one regardless of this game? Putting this title on the GT would have allowed it to compete more directly with the PS3 instead of being seen as more of a secondary console, and it may have caused more Japanese developers to make games exclusive to the GT, hence helping to solve the long-standing problem of people buying Nintendo's consoles for its first-party titles at the exclusion of everything else.

Square knows that the DS is the most popular console in Japan, so they're looking to take advantage of that by putting the most popular RPG on it. In other words, they're doing this to help themselves, not to hurt Sony. I really don't see why a developer would even give a shit about which console comes in first, anyway. They just make the damn games for whichever one is the most popular. What difference does it make if it's made by Sony or not?

Back