DP55WB, DP55WG and ram issues

SHaFT7

Limp Gawd
so, we've been using intel mobos in builds for years, and it has pretty much been bullet proof. they have fantastic 3 year warranties, and the no-frills boards are perfect for businesses needing machines and servers.

that is until we hit the DP55WB and WG boards. these boards are super super finicky on ram it seems. we currently use mushkin as our primary ram source, and up until these series of boards, that ram was also bullet proof. then i build a few machines with the i5-750, and start having all kinds of little issues. windows 7 errors on install, crashes at desktop, memtest86+ fails after 15 or so passes, you name it. we double check that the sticks we have are in mushkin's configurator for this board, and we're not overclocking anything.

so i hit the boards, and newegg reviews, and the consensus is to use kingston kvr. interestingly, this was the brand we used to use all of the time, but after seeing the price decrease in mushkin, we switched. so i put some kingston in there, and the first batch of THAT didn't work on 5 different machines. the kingston sticks had hynix chips on them, and a few different sticks had a few different revisions. now this should never make a difference, but i thought maybe, just maybe it did.

our next batch of kingston had elpida chips on it, and so far, in all 5 machines, it is working great. four machines have the DP55WB and one has the DP55WG. all other parts have been swapped more than once, which is how we narrowed down to the ram.

We also did all of the bios updates to these boards, to no avail.

anyway, hope this helps out anyone else that has had problems with these boards.

What voltages are you using for the RAM? A whole lof of the DDR3 out there likes higher voltages...

using the board stock voltages (auto mode, should be 1.5v) and all of the sticks used have been 1.5v sticks

i find it hard to believe that to make something work out of the box, you'd have to tweak the voltage. that should be reserved for running higher voltage sticks and/or overclocking....

Is this really a board thing? Isn’t the memory controller on the CPU with all Core i processors?

yes it is. for some reason though, if i pull out an asus board, pretty much all of our ram runs just fine.

Back